Eating Disorders Expert Forum
long term use of remeron

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

long term use of remeron

I have been dealing with insomnia for about six months. Initially, I was prescribed a combination of Remeron and Ativan to help me sleep. The side effects were fairly severe. I was going through my day very dizzy, and felt like I was in a dream state the whole day. I'm now taking only 30mg. of remeron and have been doing so for about two months. I'm getting some sleep, but my sleep is interrupted and I wake frequently during the night. The side effects are not as bad, but I'm still experiencing tiredness during the day, and my memory has been affected. I've been through a sleep study and found out that I have somewhat significant sleep apnea and that I'll be using a CPAP machine. Are there any long term effects of Remeron? Can I take Remeron while using the CPAP machine? Are there any less intense prescriptions or over-the-counter mdications that might offer me some benefit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I believe you have to ask your sleep therapy team these questions re use of machine and medication...they have the studies and only they should make the recommendations...
I don't know I am just a lay person but I would be cautious about using any sleep medication with untreated sleep apnea.
I wonder if your symptoms are the result of the sleep apnea vs the medication.
Disturbed sleep can leave you feeling tired and low oxygen saturation levels could explain poor memory.

I don't know of any long-term effects of Remeron.  I have read that increased blood fats could pose a risk for some people though.  This is said to be rare.

I'm not sure about medication and the CPAP machine.  I expect so, but I would check this with your doctor first.

I would suggest good sleep hygiene and other things (such as losing weight if overweight, not smoking, exercising, etc).
I would think these could be equally beneficial.

There is a sleep disorders community that could potentially be very helpful too.

Best wishes
J
I take Lexapro for anxiety and sleeplessness...it can be taken in 5 mg, 10 mg and 20 mg.  I take 10mg in spring, summer and fall and 20 mg in Winter.  It decreases my anxiety and allows me a great night's sleep.  I've been on this for years and highly recommend it as it has minimal side effects.  If you have sleep Apnea that can cause interrupted sleep but not insomnia...so I would expect you would need a different source of help as well.