Eating Disorders Expert Forum
midnight binging

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

midnight binging

Over the past 13 years i have been binge eating at night, sometimes 2 or 3x  time a night. As u may have guessed my weight is skyrocketed over the last several....Eveybody knows about my habit.. How can i stop this!!!!!!
Kelly, I can give you the same advice I just gave. I have created an online program that will help you stop your night bingeing, which is just one form of emotional eating. Go to www. shrinkyourself.com, and sign up for the 12 week program. Read what others have said, and follow the program step by step, and you will get the result you are looking for.
Hi Kelly,

Binge eating is often related to emotional eating. What starts as an eating episode because you feel stresses, anxious, bored, emotional etc can quickly get out of hand. After eating a portion of food you say to yourself "ooh well I've started now.... I may as well finish the whole lot!" This is referred to as the "Who Cares Response", once you have reached this point it is very easy to turn your eating episode into a full blown binge. This is obviously very frustrating. Below are some tips on overcoming emotional and binge eating.

Regaining control of your eating behaviours
Although strong emotions can trigger cravings for food, you can take steps to control those cravings. To help reduce emotional eating, try these suggestions:
• Learn to recognise true appetite. Is your hunger physical or emotional? If you ate just a few hours ago and don't have a rumbling stomach, you're probably not really hungry. Try and monitor your appetite and give the cravings a few minutes to pass.
• Don’t let yourself get too hungry. If you're not eating enough to meet your energy needs, you may be more likely to give in to emotional eating. Try to eat at fairly regular times and aim for moderate fullness.
• Look elsewhere for comfort. Instead of eating a chocolate bar, take a walk, treat yourself to a movie, listen to music, read a book, or call a friend.
• Don't keep unhealthy foods around. Avoid having an abundance of high-energy comfort foods in the house. Replace them with low GI options like whole grains, vegetables and fruits, as well as low-fat dairy products and lean protein sources. When you fill up on the healthy options, you're more likely to feel fuller, longer.
• Exercise regularly and get adequate rest. Your mood is more manageable and your body can more effectively fight stress when it's fit and well rested.
If you give in to emotional eating, forgive yourself and start fresh the next day. Try to learn from the experience, and make a plan for how you can prevent it in the future. Focus on the positive changes you're making in your eating habits and give yourself credit for making changes that ensure better health.
Do u feel like a robot when this is happening,do u wake up and sneak into the kitchen...do u feel like u cant stop,,,,i have been trying to find ppl with my problem