Eating Disorders Community
not eating/not sleeping

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

not eating/not sleeping

I'm really struggling to eat at all at the moment, and I think that's why I can't sleep very well. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I've recently lost alot of weight as I've managed to stop the bingeing but now I'd say my behaviour seems to be more like someone who has anorexia. Also, does anyone know the ideal weight for someone of 5ft 2"?
There is no ideal weight.  It all depends on your bone size and how much muscle you have.  You want to be careful that you do not lose lots of muscle, so that you start feeling weak.  Also, it is hard on your heart if you are too thin and become anemic from it.  People who are 110 and below have less blood in their body and are not able to give blood.  I had an eating disorder as a child which continued until about age 23.  People at school actually put pressure on me to eat, dishing up my food, watching me eat, and checking to see how much I threw away.  It made me feel guilty, so I tried real hard to eat.  After awhile, I started to enjoy eating and realized that the food did taste good.  When a person does not eat, their digestive system actually starts shutting down.  The person needs to force themselves to eat small amounts several times a day, until they are able to eat what would be a normal size.  To increase hunger, vitamin B12 works good for this.  If the person ignores hunger pains this will not help.  Try to force yourself to eat.  Your body is your temple and you need to take care of it.  If a person becomes anemic, the red blood cells become abnormal.  This increases the risk of cancer.  Food is good and I have blood work to prove it.  Recently, when I was very concerned about all the heart disease and cancer in our family, I stopped eating pork and a lot of other foods that contained cholesterol or fats.  My blood work did not look good as the red blood cells were all abnormally shaped.  When I realized that I took the cholesterol diet a little too far and started eating more, my blood work changed and all looked normal again.  I am heavier, but my blood work is better than when I was too thin.  I have built up muscle and feel strong.  One thing you can do is to take a picture of yourself.  Look at the picture to see how you look.  I thought I looked great until I was photographed.  I was shocked to see that I was all skin and bones.  It was not attractive at all.  By looking in a mirror, I did not see this or realize just how thin I was.  Hope you can get over this hurdle.  Calcium helps with sleep, so not eating could be affecting your sleep pattern. Take care and eat!