Eating Disorders Expert Forum
rny bariatric surgery- when is it right?

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

First what exactly is rny? I've just recently heard of that although it's been around for a while I'm told. Second how do you know whether or not you'd be a good candidate for any type of bariatric surgery? I'm 5'4" tall and weigh 230 pounds.. No matter what I do I cannot seem to lose weight. I'm in therapy working on issues that have caused me to overeat. I have very bad back pain due to spinal stenosis. My ortho surgeon says some of the pressure would be taken from my back if I'd lose weight. I've been doing water aerobics for 3 1/2 weeks but haven't lost anything. I'm currently on meds for bipolar disorder ( seroquel being one of them). Any advice would be helpful. thanks
Jaquta has given you excellent advice. It sounds like you are thinking about surgery, but not yet committed to that path. Therefore I suggest that you augment your work with your therapist with my program and book, at shrinkyourself.com.   There is an answer to emotional eating, and until you find that answer you won't be able to lose weight. Your therapist may be great, but you are still the one who has to find your answer.  If you use my program, which is designed to help you find your answer, you will speed up the process considerably, and your work with your therapist will be even more productive.
I use to watch a program called Fat Doctor where the doctor performed R-N-Y  operations.
I think how he described it was by making the stomach pouch as big as an egg.  The -y bit, I think, was where the small intestine was cut and shortened and then reattached to the new, smaller stomach pouch.  I would Google it to get a better, more accurate, description.  It seems like a very invasive surgery.

Probably talking to a doctor would be a good start.  I'm not exactly sure of the criteria this doctor used but weight was one.  He predominantly operated on the super morbidly obese.  I'm not sure at which point a doctor would deem a patient to qualify for surgery.  Most of the people he operated on also had other weight-related health issues and had a history of unsuccessful dieting.

I'm not sure if the meds contribute to weight gain.  

I personally would continue the therapy route plus also attempt to make some lifestyle changes.  Surgery, I think, should only be used as a very last resort.

The doctor on the Weight Loss and Healthy Lifestyle expert forum has good advice.  He also has a blog with some useful tips.  For example, keeping a food diary, exercising, getting adequate sleep, etc.
To lose weight you need to burn more than you consume.  

That all sounds rather simplistic.  You may also like to check out Dr Gould's website (shrinkyourself.com).  This, I think, will ultimately be more effective.  Understanding why we over eat is possibly the most important part of the equation.

Finally, don't be discouraged by your lack of weight loss.  Keep exercising.  Focus on making small changes and keep working on the emotional issues in therapy.
Thanks for responding. I do have an appt w/ my doctor coming up. I also have been keeeping a food diary as my dietician has has me to do. One thing that I knnow is a big problem for me is sleep. I have such problems w/ insomnia. I cnnot take anything that has the potentiel to be addicting as I am in recovery. But I am taking melatonin.

I won't give up the exercising or therapy. i know even if I eventually go the surgical route I will have to continue to exercise . I might as well get in the habit now.
Have you tried establishing some good sleep hygiene habits?  Over a period of time that can sometimes make a huge difference.

Yes, might as well.  It can be so hard to stay motivated to do something long-term but if you change it around a bit and enjoy it it makes a huge difference.

You sound very determined to get there and I think that is half the battle.

Good luck!!