Eating Disorders Expert Forum
should i seek help?

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

should i seek help?

Okay so I'm pregnant and I've experienced some issues over the years but only recently started to wonder. I'm five foot ten maybe even eleven and I weigh about 210. I've been overweight all of my life. Over the past year and a half I've lost roughly 120lbs. All of my problems started after my first pregnancy. I lost my daughter. After that I haven't had an appetite. That was in 2010. It wasn't too serious I kept my weight on and sort of puffed out even though I was never hungry. When I became pregnant with my son in March of 2011 I began to stress because I was scared to loose him. I stopped eating so much. I have been eating once or twice a day and its always small portions. Now we are in 2013 and I'm pregnant with my daughter. As I've stated I've lost roughly 120lbs. To this day I can't stomach a certain amount of food or my body rejects it and I vomit violently.  I don't make myself puke though. I'm 38 weeks pregnant and I'm weak. I'm in pain and attempting to raise my son while going through so much. I don't know if its an eating disorder but I need my strength especially with two small children who needs their mommy's help growing up) : please help.
ProudMommyXs3, Hi.  I am delighted you reached out!  You have a lot of stressors and a lot on your mind.  I am so sorry to hear you lost your daughter during your first pregnancy.  It would be so valuable to work through the pain of such a huge loss.  Seeking counseling would be wise.  It does sound that the lost of your daughter is causing some of your current struggles.  It sounds like you need support to help you with dealing with your emotions.  Also, the demands of 2 young children and dealing with unresolved issues that food became an important coping skill are additional reasons to continuing in counseling to help you work through important life changing issues.  To learn more about eating disorders and treatment options, visit The Bella Vita website.  Wishing you the best, Dr Patricia Pitts, PhD The Bella Vita Los Angeles, CA