Eating Disorders Community
unexplained weight gain

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

unexplained weight gain

I am a recovering from anorexia and have been healthy for about a year. I am 5' 8'' and at my lowest, I was 100 lbs. I ended up eating a ton of food in the span of 5 days when I went on a trip. I got extreme edema in my legs and my feet and my doctor said I gained 28 lbs of water weight in that time. I was put on a water pill and eventually the edema went away. I was told my the water weight would go away but it never did. I have exercised for 2 hours everyday for the past 3 years and continue to eat very healthy. I continued to gain weight even though I should have been losing weight. I have been to many doctors about this but no one an find anything. I was curious to see if anyone has ever heard of this or know of any complications from edema or weight gain from being under weight? Please help me!!
I have a girlfriend that went threw this ,,, She cut out food with high fructose syrup and she started drinking about 12 cups of water a day... She went to doctor after doctor they never found anything wrong..She got very frustrated started changing different eating habits this is what did it for her.
I also would say 2 hour of exercise is way to much . You have to remember you were anorexic your body wants to hold on to what ever it can because it is used to being starved ..Your exercising and burning calories your body is going to try to start holding on to anything you put into it.Try cutting down for a few weeks to an hour 5 days a week .
Avis
Thank you for responding so fast. I know I do workout a lot but I feel like if I cut back i'll gain even more weight. I don't eat any sugar and that includes all white flour and alcohol. I should start drinking more water b/c I don't drink much now. Do you know if your friend saw a difference in her weight and how long it took if she did? Thanks!
she has lost weight ,Her legs would swell so bad. She would start out fine in the morning by the end of the day her pants would be tight in the thigh area ,from water weight gain...Like I said just cut down the exercise for two weeks and see if it makes ant difference ... I had a hard time taking off weight in April (I had gained 30 pnds from steroids and pain meds) I just could not get any of it off...The doctor told me to keep eating healthy drink more water and cut back on the exercise ....It was very very hard for me a first ...I did it ...I am back at 130 and for the first time I did not go overboard losing weight .I got down to my goal weigh and stayed there.
I am going through the same thing.  I starved myself  AT 100 POUNDS AT 5'7 and ended up binging then my body blew up with fluid most of it is gone but im holding onto two pounds of fluid.  it doesnt matter how much i exercize i still gain weight.  But this is what happens when one starves their self.  I'm over weight now and I hate it but recovering just takes time.  I feel like going back into my eating disorder just to not deal with it anymore.  Believe it or not....the swelling got worse when I added more exercize.  I think a ton of exercize freaks out the body and it still holds onto the fluid even if you do exercize.  It will take a while for the body to realize that it won't be starved anymore.  But I don't know.  I'm pretty hopeless with this fluid ****.  Seems like a lot of people go through this thing.  I thought I was the only one!  All we can do is just givew it time and patience.  It also could be hormones trying to kick in.