Anxiety Disorders & EDS
Hello-
Does anyone else with EDS/Marfan have a Social Anxiety disorder? I dropped out of college because i am having such a hard time with it. i guess i am just wondering if the two are related?

I think this research info tells it pretty good as to how and y those with ne medical condition may have anxiety-

Abstract
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS) is a group of related genetic disorders of connective tissue presenting with joint hypermobility, skin extensibility, and tissue fragility. Although the pathophysiology of EDS is increasingly understood, the psychosocial effects of having EDS have not been examined. We psychologically tested and interviewed 41 adults and 7 children with EDS. Anxiety, depression, anger, and interpersonal concerns were significantly elevated, varying from one-quarter to one-third of patients; over 70% had a history of some mental health care use.** Psychological difficulties appear to result from chronic pain and disability, ostracism or avoidance of relationships and social activities, sexual difficulties and reproductive concerns, and frustration with the medical system.** Specific types of EDS (e.g., EDS Type I) are associated with greater pain and psychological distress. Psychological intervention, prescribed with the recognition that psychiatric features are secondary to EDS, is recommended for some patients.
PMID: 7856639 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7856639
thank you!
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Bonita_62 joined this group
Welcome them!
May 02
selmaS commented on The_Marine_Corp_Brat's status
Apr 27
selmaS commented on gjjl's status
Apr 04