281?1253674568
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome User Group
Anxiety Disorders & EDS
About This Group:

This group is for members with any form of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.We have this group to share info and support for each other. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) is a heterogeneous group of heritable connective tissue disorders characterized by articular hypermobility, skin extensibility and tissue fragility. Individuals with EDS have a defect in their connective tissue. It is this tissue that provides support to many body parts such as the skin, muscles, ligaments and organs. The fragile skin and unstable joints found in EDS are due to faulty collagen. Collagen is a protein that acts like glue in the body adding strength and elasticity to connective tissue.

Founded by somemonkey on September 22, 2009
157 members

Anxiety Disorders & EDS

Hello-
Does anyone else with EDS/Marfan have a Social Anxiety disorder? I dropped out of college because i am having such a hard time with it. i guess i am just wondering if the two are related?

I think this research info tells it pretty good as to how and y those with ne medical condition may have anxiety-

Abstract
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS) is a group of related genetic disorders of connective tissue presenting with joint hypermobility, skin extensibility, and tissue fragility. Although the pathophysiology of EDS is increasingly understood, the psychosocial effects of having EDS have not been examined. We psychologically tested and interviewed 41 adults and 7 children with EDS. Anxiety, depression, anger, and interpersonal concerns were significantly elevated, varying from one-quarter to one-third of patients; over 70% had a history of some mental health care use.** Psychological difficulties appear to result from chronic pain and disability, ostracism or avoidance of relationships and social activities, sexual difficulties and reproductive concerns, and frustration with the medical system.** Specific types of EDS (e.g., EDS Type I) are associated with greater pain and psychological distress. Psychological intervention, prescribed with the recognition that psychiatric features are secondary to EDS, is recommended for some patients.
PMID: 7856639 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7856639
thank you!
drewlevas uploaded new photos
48 mins ago
selmaS commented on TAKE ME AWAY...
Sep 22
selmaS commented on Londres70's status
Sep 20