281?1253674568
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome User Group
Any ideas to help ease swollen knees etc?
About This Group:

This group is for members with any form of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.We have this group to share info and support for each other. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) is a heterogeneous group of heritable connective tissue disorders characterized by articular hypermobility, skin extensibility and tissue fragility. Individuals with EDS have a defect in their connective tissue. It is this tissue that provides support to many body parts such as the skin, muscles, ligaments and organs. The fragile skin and unstable joints found in EDS are due to faulty collagen. Collagen is a protein that acts like glue in the body adding strength and elasticity to connective tissue.

Founded by somemonkey on September 22, 2009
158 members

Hi there,

I have HMS and have been newly diagnosed, now i know what i have i am trying to help myself as much as possible (which after buying my first home which is very old, i am decorating and pushing myself more than i should be!) By the end of each day i feel like an old women and im only 25! I am in so much pain from top to toe, literally! My knees are really swollen they look like balloons and they ache, i try and rest as much as i can and i put my feet up but apart from that? Does anybody have any suggestions to ease the pain in my knees etc?

Thanks!!!

Hi...it may sound weird, but look at ur shoes, make sure they r not worn to one side to throw off ur posture...as posture is very important for those of us with these issues.

Next, u may want to try a anti inflammatory diet....there r foods that can help with inflammation...

And last, listen to ur body, do things in moderation, do not PUSH urself if u need to rest, REST....it is not worth it to push as we pay for it the next day...slow and steady wins the race : )
I find a warm bath helps or a heated wheat bag.  Ibuprofen gel helps too. I am never pain free but these things do ease it a little.
As Selma said listen to your body and don't over do it.  I am trying physio at the moment to strengthen my muscles so hopefully that will help although it will take time.
I take pregabalin too which may be useful to you.  Ask your doctor to refer you to a rheumatologist and hopefully they will be able to offer you some advice.
All the best.
Suz
Hi there,

Thankyou you for you suggestions and help. You are both right it is moderation mainly, the more i do the worse they are. What sort of diet/food do you suggest which may help with swelling etc? I was going to pilates for a while but my knees ended up like balloons (but i must admit this is before i knew i had HMS so i wasnt awear as much as i am now.)

Yes i think i will ask him to refer me to a rheumatologist unless he is able to help and give me the advise i need. I love to have a hot bath, in fact for my HMS i rely on hot water bottles constantly. I know it sound bad but its the only way (apart from meds) that help, i have them as red hot as possible so they burn so i can just about feel the burning and not the pain :/ !!!

Thanks again, any more info you have would be great whatever it is, and i will try and help you too. x
soccero pain pain go away don't com... Comment
Dec 18
soccero commented on photo
Dec 16
selmaS commented on Flycaster305's status
Dec 16