Any ideas to help ease swollen knees etc?
Hi there,

I have HMS and have been newly diagnosed, now i know what i have i am trying to help myself as much as possible (which after buying my first home which is very old, i am decorating and pushing myself more than i should be!) By the end of each day i feel like an old women and im only 25! I am in so much pain from top to toe, literally! My knees are really swollen they look like balloons and they ache, i try and rest as much as i can and i put my feet up but apart from that? Does anybody have any suggestions to ease the pain in my knees etc?

Thanks!!!

Hi...it may sound weird, but look at ur shoes, make sure they r not worn to one side to throw off ur posture...as posture is very important for those of us with these issues.

Next, u may want to try a anti inflammatory diet....there r foods that can help with inflammation...

And last, listen to ur body, do things in moderation, do not PUSH urself if u need to rest, REST....it is not worth it to push as we pay for it the next day...slow and steady wins the race : )
I find a warm bath helps or a heated wheat bag.  Ibuprofen gel helps too. I am never pain free but these things do ease it a little.
As Selma said listen to your body and don't over do it.  I am trying physio at the moment to strengthen my muscles so hopefully that will help although it will take time.
I take pregabalin too which may be useful to you.  Ask your doctor to refer you to a rheumatologist and hopefully they will be able to offer you some advice.
All the best.
Suz
Hi there,

Thankyou you for you suggestions and help. You are both right it is moderation mainly, the more i do the worse they are. What sort of diet/food do you suggest which may help with swelling etc? I was going to pilates for a while but my knees ended up like balloons (but i must admit this is before i knew i had HMS so i wasnt awear as much as i am now.)

Yes i think i will ask him to refer me to a rheumatologist unless he is able to help and give me the advise i need. I love to have a hot bath, in fact for my HMS i rely on hot water bottles constantly. I know it sound bad but its the only way (apart from meds) that help, i have them as red hot as possible so they burn so i can just about feel the burning and not the pain :/ !!!

Thanks again, any more info you have would be great whatever it is, and i will try and help you too. x
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
selmaS commented on gjjl's status
Feb 04
selmaS commented on flutterbye1888's status
Feb 03
selmaS commented on photo
Jan 31