281?1253674568
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome User Group
EDS and GERD?
About This Group:

This group is for members with any form of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.We have this group to share info and support for each other. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) is a heterogeneous group of heritable connective tissue disorders characterized by articular hypermobility, skin extensibility and tissue fragility. Individuals with EDS have a defect in their connective tissue. It is this tissue that provides support to many body parts such as the skin, muscles, ligaments and organs. The fragile skin and unstable joints found in EDS are due to faulty collagen. Collagen is a protein that acts like glue in the body adding strength and elasticity to connective tissue.

Founded by somemonkey on September 22, 2009
157 members

EDS and GERD?

Hi all,

I am a 23 yr old female, I have been struggling with GERD for about 6 years... Lots of meds, but the symptoms never seem to go away. I have had test that show inflamed stomach lining and delay gastric emptying, but I still feel the symptoms my GERD after meds (regurgitation, pain, sore throat, acid taste, enamel wear-down).

Could it be that EDS or Hypermobility is actually causing the GERD (weak collagen and loose joints)? I can "finger lock", I was diagnosed with TMJ and scoliosis, I do not respond well to anesthesia (despite being a small girl they always have to give me a massive dose that leaves me really loopy long after I wake up), and I have not been diagnosed with it but my mom has mitro valve prolapse and I have symptoms of that (heart palpitations, anxiety).

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks :)
Tags: GERD, Pain, Anxiety, EDS

Hi...yes EDS can be part of the issue....with EDS the delayed emptying and slow motility are common, as well as hiatal hernias.

Have u modified ur diet? Most meds will not work well if u continue to consume foods and bevs that r triggers.

With the heart pals and anxiety u could have the vagus nerve involved....have u been tested for this ?

The mitral valve issue is also an EDS issue....it is a type of EDS that affects organs....so do get tested and have ur mom tested as well,
Hi, thanks for your response!

I have modified my diet to an extent but I am still having troubles so that is why I am searching for a possible underlying cause. What type of doctor can diagnose joint hypermobility or such things?

Thank you

A good rheumatoid Dr should be able to ...look up the Beighton scale or look to google joint hypermobility testing and u should find the Beighton scale chart...even if u score a 2 u r considered to have EDS.]] Do u bruise easily, slow to heal?

I also have EDS and GERD issues and I have a few other issues as well....but my Drs informed me as to how this was affecting me.

Hang in there.
Hi!  Have you had your Vit. D levels checked? Many EDSers have extremely low Vit. D.  Vit. D affects the entire GI tract. There are Vit. D receptors in stomach cells and the esophageal sphincter. Low Vit. D is related to slow gastric emptying.
My EDS son had his Vit. D checked when he developed scoliosis last year. His level was 6!  (I think optimal range is 50-60) His GERD issues of two years are pretty much gone now, after supplementing Vit. D  (Doctor put him on high-dose therapy.)

I'm not sure Vit. D is what corrected his problem, but I believe it had a lot to do with his improvement. He also took a supplement of zinc-carnosine, which helps a lot to heal the stomach lining. Zinc-carnosine is inexpensive and worth trying.
My son is much happier these days! He can eat anything he wants.

Hope you get some relief soon!

U r so right, those with EDS do not absorb vitamins and minerals the way we should and often are low not only in Vit D, but B12, and  magnesium and potassium,.....

Many are not aware of the magnesium and Vit D link....u need magnesium in order to absorb the D....and not many Drs check the magnesium as there is more then one test....so do ask about the  magnesium as well.
Wow thanks for some great suggestions! I just started trying a combo of vitamin C and L-lysine, because I heard collagen could be the issue. However, maybe I will have to try this instead!
Thanks again! Perhaps I should have a trip to the Dr to get my magnesium levels checked!

yes, a Dr will be able to tell u what dosage u require...but also be advised that not all Drs test for this ....not all typical magnesium tests show the low levels from what I am told it is a more complex test they do not do for a routine check.
drewlevas uploaded new photos
27 mins ago
soccero, and selmaS commented on soccero's status
Aug 22
ipurr2 joined this group
Welcome them!
Aug 22