281?1253674568
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome User Group
EDS victims and plastic surgery?
About This Group:

This group is for members with any form of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.We have this group to share info and support for each other. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) is a heterogeneous group of heritable connective tissue disorders characterized by articular hypermobility, skin extensibility and tissue fragility. Individuals with EDS have a defect in their connective tissue. It is this tissue that provides support to many body parts such as the skin, muscles, ligaments and organs. The fragile skin and unstable joints found in EDS are due to faulty collagen. Collagen is a protein that acts like glue in the body adding strength and elasticity to connective tissue.

Founded by somemonkey on September 22, 2009
158 members

EDS victims and plastic surgery?

I've been wondering if EDS patients could have plastic surgery. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I just feel incredibly self conscious about all of my scars and would like to maybe get surgery to cover them up or something. Also, maybe a boob job...haha I have AA's so don't judge too harshly (I'd only get B's). Have any of you had plastic surgery? What are the risks? Could I really die if I got it done? Is the scarring after the surgery gross and hard to fade and obvious? I'm sorry for so many questions, I'm just really curious.
If you can think of anything that might answer my question, please please please answer.
1 Comment

Hi and welcome to the EDS group.

Not all with EDS have skin issues, but since u have scarring already it may not be a good idea...especially since those with EDS r prone to rejection of foreign matter...meaning the material used in plastic surgery,

We also tend to have issues with meds, so going under and pain management get be diff as a result.

Talk with ur EDS specialist to see how it is affecting u, which EDS type u r to see if it is a possibility.

But I would shy away from it.JMHO
selmaS commented on soccero's status
soccero MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Comment
Dec 24
soccero, and selmaS commented on soccero's status
Dec 24