281?1253674568
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome User Group
Monster Drink and EDS ~~~~
About This Group:

This group is for members with any form of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.We have this group to share info and support for each other. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) is a heterogeneous group of heritable connective tissue disorders characterized by articular hypermobility, skin extensibility and tissue fragility. Individuals with EDS have a defect in their connective tissue. It is this tissue that provides support to many body parts such as the skin, muscles, ligaments and organs. The fragile skin and unstable joints found in EDS are due to faulty collagen. Collagen is a protein that acts like glue in the body adding strength and elasticity to connective tissue.

Founded by somemonkey on September 22, 2009
157 members

Monster Drink and EDS ~~~~

The New York Times reported on this disturbing account of deaths from this energy drink also citing a 14 yr olds health may have  had some impact on her death.....

"The type of 24-ounce can of Monster Energy that the Maryland teenager, Anais Fournier, drank contains 240 milligrams of caffeine.

The lawsuit filed last week on behalf of the teenager referred to autopsy and medical examiner reports that said she had died of “cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity” that had exacerbated an existing heart problem. The report also showed that the teenager had Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, which can affect the body’s connective tissue, including blood vessels. A lawyer for her family, Kevin Goldberg, said that the 14-year-old had been aware she had an underlying heart condition but added that her doctors had not told her to restrict her physical activities or her caffeine use."

for the rest of the article  - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/23/business/fda-receives-death-reports-citing-monster-energy-a-high-caffeine-drink.html?_r=0
Selma I posted this question on the same thread in chiari forum but thought I should put it here too.  How does caffeine affect chiari?  I had not heard this and drink a lot of diet pepsi...and coffee.

Good idea : )

Well this is for those with Heart issues,...but EDS causes the skin and muscles to thin, this is y some have ruptures...like my friend Dayna just has been air lifted for a ruptured colon....ne of our organs can do this depending on how EDS is affecting us...well caffeine is causing the BP to pump harder against thin and weakened muscles...so, it can have disastrous effects.

Again is depends on how it is affecting us, I have yet another  EDS friend with collapsed airways that is on forced air to keep her breathing....

I do not know if with the type I have if it would affect me, but my NS told me to avoid or cut back on caffeine, something I rarely have so I do not worry about it....but I was told...so I was surprised that this girl was not.
I know I have some vascular tendencies.  I had varicose veins removed a couple years ago and my Dr. said I was 1 of the 3 worst cases he had ever seen and the others were elderly.  I now know that EDS causes that as well.  I wonder why he didn't know....

Not sure y...but  yeah I knew that too...we can hang up a shingle...huh?
soccero wish the head would get better Comment
soccero, and selmaS commented on soccero's status
Oct 27
selmaS commented on photo
Oct 27