Monster Drink and EDS ~~~~
The New York Times reported on this disturbing account of deaths from this energy drink also citing a 14 yr olds health may have  had some impact on her death.....

"The type of 24-ounce can of Monster Energy that the Maryland teenager, Anais Fournier, drank contains 240 milligrams of caffeine.

The lawsuit filed last week on behalf of the teenager referred to autopsy and medical examiner reports that said she had died of “cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity” that had exacerbated an existing heart problem. The report also showed that the teenager had Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, which can affect the body’s connective tissue, including blood vessels. A lawyer for her family, Kevin Goldberg, said that the 14-year-old had been aware she had an underlying heart condition but added that her doctors had not told her to restrict her physical activities or her caffeine use."

for the rest of the article  - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/23/business/fda-receives-death-reports-citing-monster-energy-a-high-caffeine-drink.html?_r=0
Selma I posted this question on the same thread in chiari forum but thought I should put it here too.  How does caffeine affect chiari?  I had not heard this and drink a lot of diet pepsi...and coffee.

Good idea : )

Well this is for those with Heart issues,...but EDS causes the skin and muscles to thin, this is y some have ruptures...like my friend Dayna just has been air lifted for a ruptured colon....ne of our organs can do this depending on how EDS is affecting us...well caffeine is causing the BP to pump harder against thin and weakened muscles...so, it can have disastrous effects.

Again is depends on how it is affecting us, I have yet another  EDS friend with collapsed airways that is on forced air to keep her breathing....

I do not know if with the type I have if it would affect me, but my NS told me to avoid or cut back on caffeine, something I rarely have so I do not worry about it....but I was told...so I was surprised that this girl was not.
I know I have some vascular tendencies.  I had varicose veins removed a couple years ago and my Dr. said I was 1 of the 3 worst cases he had ever seen and the others were elderly.  I now know that EDS causes that as well.  I wonder why he didn't know....

Not sure y...but  yeah I knew that too...we can hang up a shingle...huh?
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
soccero uploaded new photos
Jun 09
debm478 added the Food Diary
Jun 08
debm478 added the Pain Tracker
Jun 08