281?1253674568
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome User Group
Severe swelling due to injury question
About This Group:

This group is for members with any form of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.We have this group to share info and support for each other. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) is a heterogeneous group of heritable connective tissue disorders characterized by articular hypermobility, skin extensibility and tissue fragility. Individuals with EDS have a defect in their connective tissue. It is this tissue that provides support to many body parts such as the skin, muscles, ligaments and organs. The fragile skin and unstable joints found in EDS are due to faulty collagen. Collagen is a protein that acts like glue in the body adding strength and elasticity to connective tissue.

Founded by somemonkey on September 22, 2009
157 members

Severe swelling due to injury question

I had a few questions about swelling. I have no been diagnosed by a dr for EDS but my mother was and well I am 100% sure i have it i just dont know what type. Anyway when I get hurt usually i swell and bruise easily sometimes it takes weeks to heal. my joints are some what flexible I have never had any pop out of socket though. My skin is soft and stretchy but not very thin. Just giving you an idea of what my skin is like before I ask my questions....

So here is what happened.. about a week and a half ago I tripped and feel in my hallway at home. I fell on the carpet hitting my leg right below my knee and my hip. Well at the time i feel my hip hurt more than anything and it felt like a carpet burn on my lower leg.. well after a couple of hours my lower leg just ballooned up and swelled a lot. I iced it and kept it wrapped with an ace bandage when I am up walking around the house, walking the kids to the bus stop etc.... Well now its a week and a half later and I have a knot right below my knee a little off to the right about the size around as a baseball maybe give or take and the swelling has now gone all the way down to my ankle i have soreness all the way down my leg in certain spots as well.. and when i stand from sitting i get a burning sensation in certain spots and it feels like part of my leg is contracting.. i have never really experienced it to this degree
I have hurt my leg many times before and dealt with icing, wrapping it up trying to stay off it all the things I am supposed to do and after a few weeks it will heal... its only been a week and a half for this injury but the thing is the swelling.. I have never had swelling spread this far and I am worried. I need to know what to do should I continue to keep icing it? Will that help? how much should i keep it wrapped? because when i am home sitting i unwrap it.. could this be a sign of the eds progressing?

Sorry this was so long but I needed to explain.. I dont have anyone around to help me out with this subject so any help given is very appreciated.. thanks so much

Hi and welcome to the EDS group.

I would advise u to go and have ur leg looked at ASAP...EDSer's can have issues with their veins...and I would be afraid of a clot or something like that bcuz of the way u wrapped it.

Not saying that is the problem, but it is a possibility especially since u do not have a dx as to type of EDS.

Please see a Dr and update us with what u found out.

"selma"
Hi.. thanks for responding.

I was wondering.. when you say because of the way I wrapped it do you mean that I should have kept it wrapped more? or not at all because I know i mentioned that i didnt keep it wrapped that much while being at home and things like that. Thanks so much

Trisha

Hi I would say not at all....but, it is still something that should be checked by a Dr.

EDS has a vascular type and that concerns me that u do not know what type u have.

"selma"
drewlevas uploaded new photos
1 hr ago
selmaS commented on TAKE ME AWAY...
Sep 22
selmaS commented on Londres70's status
Sep 20