When does hypermobility become EDS?
Hi all, just wondering how a doctor differentiates between hypermobility and EDS?

I was diagnosed several years ago with hypermobility (7/9 on Beighton scale) but I now have excruciating joint and muscle pain for which I take Lyrica. My hips are very lax and slip in and out very easily, I'm forever spraining and twisting things... I also have scoliosis and have had osteoarthritis since I was 18, and degenerative disc disease since my adolescence. I have chronic IBS, acid reflux and swings in blood pressure (unexplained by other tests). I have very bad bruising on my legs which has twice now prompted testing for blood clots.

Does this sound like EDS?

If so, I also have diaphragmatic weakness and a ventilator as an 'enabler' when I am struggling, and no one knows what is causing it - could this be caused by EDS?

Hi and welcome to the EDS group.

Yes indeed it does...they use to say they were 2 diff things, but new research indicates they r all the same thing....not separate conditions.

I have EDS along with GERD, IBS, low BP, easy to bruise and slow to heal....and I know I did not even try to move my joints  when I was younger.....

There r many types of EDS and there is a vascular type....so I would suggest u get checked out.

Also look at the videos posted above by Dr Driscoll......

Hiya Selma, thank you for your reply. I have now been diagnosed with EDS Hypermobility type and am starting physio etc.

No worries....I saw u liked Dr Driscoll's videos.....do post updates on how physio goes for u : )
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
soccero uploaded new photos
Jun 09
debm478 added the Food Diary
Jun 08
debm478 added the Pain Tracker
Jun 08