Emphysema Community
Emphysema end timeline

Emphysema is a type of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) involving damage to the air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatment options.

Emphysema end timeline

Hello, I know there is no real absolute way to define anyone's end of life. I just need to know if anyone can give me a rough guesstimate. My Mom is 73 and was diagnosed about 4-5 yrs ago. I recently moved her to GA with me and my boys from Arkansas to care for her. We lost my Dad July 2010 to a sudden Glioma brain tumor, major shock and I am still reeling from that. My life has changed drastically and I am my Mom's primary caregiver. She has been on ativan for awhile which has helped and a nausea pill everyday. She smoked for 55 yrs and just quit last Thursday. Of course her breathing did not improve much. In fact yesterday she had a spell, for lack of a better word right now, where her breathing was so difficult, her BP was 210/104, pulse ox was 70 and her color was gray. I signed up with a great hospice that can be from your home or their place. So we have a dedicated nurse and I called her yesterday, I finally talked my Mom into using oxygen and we are now doing the "comfort care", morphine drop under tongue, nebulizer treatment with morphine. When I went to AR in May of this year she weighed 88lbs, I got her up to 101.2 lbs most recently, even with her very limited menu, I make her 2 itmes she loves, lunch is seafood salad, raisin toast, watermelon and pudding, dinner is fried shrimp, macaroni salad, watermelon, pudding, breakfast is mini wheats. She will also have boost several times a day and a fruit and pudding snack and that's her BIG menu. But with that I have helped gain some weight. I just don't understand and guess I never will. How she can be so critical yesterday and today not quite, the nurse said it was probably the body preparing for shutdown and I am just looking for any answers on how long this can take, because like all of you I do not like to see my Mom struggle to breathe and I also had to sign those dreaded papers but she does not want to go anywhere else. Any input from any of you out there would be most appreciated. Sorry for rambling. Thanks Cathy
\No one can actually know how long a person will last. Certainly your excellent care is prolonging her life. But if her blood oxygen went down to 70 on the oximeter that is really bad. I assume she is bed bound. Why is she given morphine? Is she in pain?