Emphysema Community
Final stages of emphysema

Emphysema is a type of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) involving damage to the air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatment options.

Final stages of emphysema

My dad is 72 and is suffering from emphysema . He is on oxygen 24/7 on level 4.0 . His oxygen level with assisted oxygen is 83% when sitting and drops to 72% when he is off the machine . His lung capicity a year ago was 32% .Within the last six weeks he has dramatically deteriorated . He is room bound as walking a short distance leaves him battling to breathe . He has headaches which are worse in the morning . He is nebulising twice a day as well as using  duovent ect . I have had to start assisting him with his bathing . I find he falls asleep a lot during the day . He also battles to eat much as he says he can't breathe . Most of his medicine has little effect now .
The doctor said when I asked that we are now at the stage of waiting . What I want to know is how much longer does my dad have and what can I expect from here onwards ?
Interested to know if you received any answers to your posting in January.   My Mother is 82 and suffering from the same problem.  She has progressively gone downhill.  I saw her three weeks ago in early January and she was having a real tough time / Now, she is pretty much in the bed 95% of the time, sleepy, sick at her stomach and not eating.  Believe she's lost another 5lbs recently.  How much longer will this go on ?   Her quality of life is really bad... thanks.
My mum has been diagnosed with emphysema 4 weeks ago, she is 51, she cant climb the stairs properly, she is on 4 lots of inhalers, the doctor has told her the way she is she is not going to last too long, She doesnt sleep, at the moment during the night and sleeps constantly through the day. She eats very little, her left eye is also very blodshot and red and sore.She cant do anything for herself now, simple things like taking a bath, is an enormous thing.  It is very difficult for my mum has she also has agrophobia, and diabeties so she cannot go to the hospital, she has community nurses that attend to her, The doctor wanted to put her on steriods to help her to breathe but she refused due to the internal bleeding, so oxygen is the next step. I am out of my mind with worry and everyday I go and see her she is worse that the day before, If anyone can give me any advice or let me know what I am heading for I would be greatful.
My Mom had gone through everything above.  I seen her in Jan of 2009 and she was doing pretty good, until I got a call on Feb 7th from her and she sounded sick so I went to her and found her in the bed with alot of pain.  At this point she could not use the washroom, could not eat, and could not swallow too well.  I showed up on Feb 9 due that she lives 500 miles from me.  Finally on that Thursday I talked her into going to the emergency room.  Well they would give her morphine and antivan but only every 6 hours, this was not helping my mom at all.  After one week of this, they were going to send her home so I had her transfered to another hospital two hours away.  She was there for a short time, they had a specialist look at her and he told me there was nothing more they could do for her, so I had her sent home with hospice.  She only lasted two more days at home.  She passed away on Feb 21 at the age of 67.  So if you see signs of no appetite and in alot of pain, it is not too much longer that they have, so my advise is to get your loved one on hospice so they can go home without the pain.  I am missing my mom so much but i know she is in no more pain
hi i found out 2 years ago i had emphasemia i am only 38  i have trouble waliking & breathing basically i would like to knnow if it gets any worse & what the expectancy life span is because i was told my lungs r for the age of a 90  year old & keep getting infections is it going to get any better
My family just went through all of this with my mom...we lost her on February 17th...she would have been 67 on the 26th. She was diagnosed with COPD/Emphysema after having surgery for Small Cell Lung Cancer in 1997. She had been on Oxygen 24/7 since then. Inhalers, nebulizer and and pills, but never stopped smoking. She wouldn't eat, she had a terrible time sleeping. She kept getting Pneumonia over and over. That's what she was hospitalized for this last time. They had her on 100% Oxygen and was giving her Lortab and Morphine pills for the pain.

After a few days, they told us they had done all that they could do and suggested "Comfort Care". That's what they call withdrawing everything from the patient except for a Morphine pump. My sister and I were her Medical Power of Attorneys, so one of us had to sign the papers. That was the hardest decision I ever had to make in my life. Something I never, ever believed I would ever agree to...But I couldn't stand seeing my very best friend in the world suffering so much.
my mother also has copd  she has not got much time left with us she is in so much pain it breaks our hearts like you i would miss her so much if she died but nobody should have to go through that pain im so glad your mother is now pain free thats all iwish for mine
yea i got diagnosed with moderate emphysema when i was 21 im 23 now but i have trouble breathing when i get up in the morning and doing short work around the house
Ihave had asthma for much of my life - since I was 13, when I also started smoking (!).
. Some 5 years ago, I was first diagbosed with emphysema. This was followed by renal failure caused by a blocked bladder (Although I'd been a heavy drinker, it was, surprisingly. not a factor.

Since that time, I've lost count of the number of A&E visits and hospital admissions, almost invariably with breathing problems. With oxygen levls at around 95%, I've had to ignore strong medical advice and demand oxygen (at levels2-3) to relieve stress. I've also been given anti-anxiety meds (even al small amount of moephine once) yo help me sleep without worrying about waking up fasping for breath.
My standing time is very limited, as is my walking (abut 5m. with difficulty), even sitting in the shower is a trial.

I am, of couse, on (almost certainly permanent) haemodialysis, 3 times a week, 5 hours each. Being fluidically-overloadedis a major cause of breathing difficulties. I had quit smoking but, to my shame & consternation , seem to have done a reuptake
I'm sorry for the loss of your mother. On friday Oct 14,11 we burried my sister who had struggled and suffered the devastating affects of COPD. I will miss her dearly, but comforted knowing she is finally at peace. I have been a hospice caregiver for 20 yrs. Most patients have suffered from various forms of pulminary dieases. The last patient had pulmonary fibrosis. I began care for him in 2008, and I was blessed to have 3 yrs with him. He was buried Oct 1,11. Some times I find it difficult to do this type of work I want to provide comfort and care to those who continue to struggle. Iam at peace knowing that my sister had the loving cared she had by her caregivers