Emphysema Community
Is it emphysema ?

Emphysema is a type of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) involving damage to the air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatment options.

Is it emphysema ?

In Aug - 2011, I had a Left Hilar Lymphadenopathy shown in X-ray and CT. I coughed up blood on few occasions in the morning. I was initially given a  bronchitis medicine all my cough went away,  then dr. started me on ATT medication for 11 months, since they diagnosed me with tuberculosis though a PPD test.  I took the ATT / Kochs medication properly and after 11 months on a follow up CT and X-ray my lymphadenopathy resolved completely.

However after the treatment i kept having cough one and twice and now Nov-2012, i had been coughing up blood tinged sputum every morning. I was scared that my TB has come back. So i went to the doctor.

He asked me to do range of tests first :
1) CBC - Normal
2) ESR - 10 (Range 1 - 10)
3) HIV, HCV, Hep B, Hep  C Screen Profile - All Negative
4) Chest X-ray - they found my old healed Tuberculosis,
5) X-ray Sinus / PNS - Infection - Started on Infection medicine
6) total Ige - Slightly High i.e in 300 + Which purely identifies some sort of allergy
7) AFB - smear negative

8) CT Scan - Mentions all normal, except small single thin walled cyst in left upper lobe - Emphysema

I am just 30 years of age and never smoked a lot just i guess for a year and a half. Would i have Emphysema. I consulted radiologist, who made the report. They mentioned, i need to speak to my doctor and show him this. According to them they are unable to see any Emphysema changes but this is there. I never had this in my CT scan which was done just 5 months ago.

Infact the final CT report came today and my doctor performed a bronchoscopy on me yesterday to find a cause of the blood in sputum, since when he had looked at the films of CT he found everything all right.

I WILL VISIT MY DOCTOR THIS WEEK. HOW EVER I AM REALLY SCARED. HOW CAN AT THE AGE PF 30  I HAVE AN Emphysema ?? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS.

CAN THESE CYSTS BE DUE TO AN ACID REFLUX ? I HAVE A HUGE ACIDITY PROBLEM.

CAN SOME ONE HELP ME ?
JUST WAT TO KNOW IF A 14MM RIGHT HILAR LYMH NODE THE SAME AS WHAT YOU MENTIONED Left Hilar LymphadenopathY ONLY TO BE ON THE LEFT SIDE,  AND IF SO WS THERE A MEASUREMENT i am looking for answers as my 53 yr old  smoking husand went for a CT with IV contrast due to the fact that he was diagnosed with a  Infrarenal aBdominal anneurysm with mural thromus and the  secialist wanted him TO DO A CHEST, HEAD  CT IN THAT THEY NOTED THAT HE HAD PULMONARY EMPHYSEMA. MULTIPLE PULMONARYNODULES IN THE RIGHT UER LOBE. a 17X15 MM IRREGULAR NODULE WITH CALCIFICATION IN THE RIGHT UPPERLOBE UNCERTAIN IN NATURE PROBABLY  PULMONARY SCARRING BUT OTHER PATHOLOGY IS NOT EXCLUDED . a MILDLY ENLARGED RIGHT HILAR LYMH NODE MEASURING 14 MM IN DIAMETER HE ALSO HAS A COUGH  FOR SOME TIME BUT THE DOCTOR SAID HIS CHEST WAS CLEAR. COULD THIS BE THE SAME AS WHAT YOU MENTIONED REGARDING LEFT HILAR  Lymphadenopathy WAS SHOWN ON YOUR  X-ray and CT. HE IS ON COVERSYL 5 MG AND NORVAINE 5MG.HIS ROTEIN IN THE URINE WAS 6OO, NOW 1OO BUT i THINK IT IS STILL HIGH
WHAT IS A  ppD TEST IS IT A BLOOD TEST AS MY DAUGHTER HAD A LITTLE BIT OF BLOOD WHEN SHE COUGHED WITH SOME  phLEGM THIS MORNING,SHE DID A  BLOOD TEST  FOR  CYTOMEGALOVIRUS
ANTIBODIES IgG WAS 125  AND IgM DETECTED, SHE HAS BEEN HAVING STOMACH BLOATING , GASSY ISSUES COULD THIS BE WHY BECAUSE YOU MENTION ABOUT IgG TEST SO I THOUGH I WILL ASK YOU IF THIS IS THE REASON IT IS 125 IT WAS THE SAME 3 MONTHS AGO TOO SHE HAS HAD THIS ISSUE SINCE JUNE LAST YEAR GASSY BLOATING FEELING
SORRY TO GO OFF TOIC BUT WANTED TO GET SOME INFORM
THANKS
HG