Emphysema Community
conflicting findings on COPD diagnosis

Emphysema is a type of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) involving damage to the air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatment options.

conflicting findings on COPD diagnosis

I am a 48 year old male, 149 lbs, 19.5 BMI, and very active. I have never smoked cigarettes, although I did smoke marijuana for several years. I do not smoke marijuana or cigarettes presently. Here is a short rundown of my situation

I had a ctScan of my thoracic region, back in March of this year to see if my kidneys were not scarred (unrelated). There was discovered that I have (had) a 9 mm nodule on my lower left lung. An other Ctscan was done, and about a week later, I get a "diagnosis" slip from the VA that I have COPD. However, every doc I have been to, including a pulmonologist, does not seem to see anything that indicates COPD. I have 99 saturation, almost always (will drop slightly, to about 95-96, when exercising vigorously), and my pft came back normal, except maybe a somewhat lowered DLCO(?), at 83 percent. Moreover, and a point that must have seemed unnoteworthy to the pulmonologist, were a couple of my airway resistance values, at 170%, My spirometry and lung capacity tests were at and above 100 percent, for the most part.
What might such airway resistance scores and my DLCO values indicate, if my pft was at or above normal for age, gender and other parameters? Can diffusion values be improved with vigorous exercise. What of my pft, over time, if I start out in the upper values? Thanks.
From what I read of your comments, I would say somebody didn't quite
know where to put their diagnosis, and stuck it in COPD, which is a
catchall for everything.  It would seem agencies and some doctors
do not listen to patients history and findings,   Stick to your guns, and
be waryof what medication is given.  My best advice is search the
internet....Mayo Clinic, John Hopkins, Drugs. com, and seewhat you
can find out.
You do not have COPD, unless a new definition has been created in the past week. I have learned that doctors, after giving tests, do not like to leave "diagnosis" blank. After four days of tests at a famous hospital I was discharged with "anxiety." HaHa. (Turned out to be systemic candidiasis.)

As Schnapsi above says, doctors often do not listen to their patients. Be very careful if anyone tries to put you on COPD medication. All of it has side effects and some of it can kill you. Just say no.