Emphysema Community
emphysema
About This Community:

Emphysema is a type of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) involving damage to the air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatment options.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

emphysema

I am 52 yr. old male.I have been diagnosed with severe emphysema.Ive also been told I have a thickening of my heart wall on the right side. What can I expect to occur in the years to come? How long do have I have ?The long and the short of it.
Related Discussions
Resources: njc.org/ats.org/aarc.org/aacvpr.org/nhlbi.nih.gov.

Try these web sites. Remember, nobody can tell you how long you have.  Consider joining a pulmonary rehab program, support group, or Better Breather's Club  (offered by the american lung association).

Its not up to your doctors to do all the work.  You have to particpate in your lung health. Stop smoking, EXERCISE is VERY important, get your flu shot (every year) and pneumonia shot (every 5 years), have a plan with your lung doctor on what to do and medicine to take during your copd exacerbations.  Use oxygen as prescribed (if using).  Stay away from other sick people.  Use your aerochamber with inhalers that are meterdosed.  Get a nebulizer for your really bad days. Use a fan, to help with the airflow.  You can try a mucus clearance device to help with secertions.  Your mantra should be "smell the roses blow-out the candles".

Good luck "If you can't breath nothing else matters".
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Emphysema Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank