Endometriosis Community
AFTER taking Lupron with add back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

AFTER taking Lupron with add back

What should I expect after going through treatment for endo with Lupron Depot injections with add back therapy?  I have searched everywhere I can and I thought all of my questions had been covered by my doctor, but now as I am towards the end of my treatment I find myself confused.  I had a lap one year ago to remove ovarian cyst and as much of the lesions as they could caused by my endo (I've been dealing with endo pain for 13+ years and finally got to the point where the lap was my only hope!). Luckily, my tubes were clear, but there were several places they could not remove with the laser and shortly after the surgery I was still having some pain, yet not as severe pain as I had before. My doctor suggest that I begin Lupron treatments to clear out the rest of the endo, especially since I wanted to start trying to get pregnant within the next couple of years. So we did one 1 month injection to see how I would react and I went back 3 weeks after that injection and since I found the side effects to be bearable, we decided to 2 rounds of 3 month injections. Side effects were no fun at all, but it was honestly not the worst thing I'd ever been through and I found the side effects to be better than what I had dealt with through all of the endo trouble. I had my last injection November 21st.
My dr. and I decided to use the add-back therapy towards the end of my treatment to help ease some of the side effects and I was also told that this should guide my body along sort of "kick starting" my hormones back in order from where the Lupron had suppressed hormone production. He placed me on Norethindrone acetate 5 mg once a day. I began taking the prescription on January 3 and took my last pill on February 27th. When he placed me on the prescription I asked him what I could expect and when my period should return. He said it should return within 6 weeks after stopping the add back therapy. I had heavy bleeding on March 3rd that went into lighter bleeding and spotting through March 6th. I read on my drug info that after stopping the Norethindrone you can experience withdraw bleeding 3-4 days afterwards, so I am counting that as that and not an actual period. I am now 5 weeks since having my last add back pill, and no other signs of a period. I plan on calling my dr. next week once the 6 weeks has passed if I have not started. But at this point I have become extremely frustrated and confused.
I have read from so many women that said they didn't start their period until 90+days after stopping Lupron, or they started within 4 or 5 weeks after stopping Norethindrone, BUT I have not found any information from anyone who had the same treatment and was placed on both medications. Just one or the other. Has anyone else experienced this and how long did it take for your period to return?  Also, just FYI no chance of pregnancy, I took a pregnancy test to be 100% sure but hubby and I are not trying at this time. Thank you for any advice or help!
Tags: lupron and add back, endometriosis treatment, after lupron, after norethindrone, lupron, add back
Each person reacts differently to the medication combo. I have been put on Lupron and the Norethindrone previously and I didn't get my period for about 2 months. However, I was placed on another hormone suppressant shortly after I got my period because my pain came back. I know it is frustrating because no one person reacts the same way to Lupron. I suggest waiting a few weeks and if nothing happens going back to your doctor and ask to have  your Estrodial checked to see if every is back to normal levels.
Okay I saw something in your post that I had to comment on.

Lupron will NOT clear out any Endo. It doesn't suppress Endo and is used to treat the pain of Endo and that is it. This injection really should be illegal and that is just my two cents.

No matter what you are taking for Endo, Endo will grow back regardless.

Don't let these doctors fool you into believing that Lupron does anything because it doesnn't. In fact it can shut down your ovaries, caused permanent damage from the side effects and it is not worth it because the pill with less side effects will do the same thing. The add back did nothing for me I still got the hot flashes, joint and muscle pain.

I went directly on the BCP since the Lupron injection so I am not sure when  a period would come. I haven't even had break through bleeding in 2 yrs and I had the first surgery in 2007.

I wish I could help you with that part but I have no knowledge in that area.

I will agree with akohl003 about getting your Estrodial levels checked too.