Endometriosis Community
Acid Reflux

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

Acid Reflux

Over the past few years my mother has suffered from acid reflux and was on medication for a couple years until recently a couple of months back the problem got worse to the point where she had to stop working and was suffering in constant pain and discomfort. She withdrew from all her routine activities and spent most of her time in bed and lost a significant amount of wait drastically. We went to different doctors in our city, which most of them would only refer her to different doctors and couldn't really come up with a solution or cause to her problem. Just recently she was referred to Stanford doctor's in hope for them to finally find a cause and solution to her problem, she has had 3 surgeries within the past couple of months, the most recent being a surgery to tighten up the esophagus which we all believed would be the solution and relief to her problem. It has been over a month now after her surgery and she still has the same acid discomfort she had prior to her procedure. She also has severe abdominal pain and the doctors continue to do tests on her and they do not seem to know what is causing this nor give her a relief to her pain and suffering. This situation has overwhelmed us and we have been fighting with her problem a long time already without any success. It is very difficult for us to watch her crying constantly and  be in all this pain and not be able to help. I hope someone can give us any type of feedback for we are desperate to find a solution to her problem soon, we do not want her condition to worsen more than it already is. Thank you.
Has your mother tried a gluten and dairy free diet. If she is reacting to gluten and or dairy both can cause acid reflux and abdominal problems. If she has has the blood test for Celiacs and it came back negative, that does not mean much since the test is not very sensitive. There is also a endoscopy to look for Celiacs but sometimes even this can miss it. Also has anyone tested her thyroid? If so what were the results because the ranges are wrong. If her thyroid was tested did it also include Free T3, T4, and thyroid antibodies beside TSH? Also it would be recommended that she get a thyroid ultrasound.

I hope this helps,
achilles2
I know you are posting in this forum so I am not sure if your mother as Endo but a year before my surgery I had reflux all the time. The medication didnt even help much but gave some relief. After my surgery I came off the meds for reflux and it never came back. I think for sure mine was linked to Endo. I never knew that could be possible but in my case it was.