Endometriosis Community
Best kind of pain relief medication for recurring extensive endo?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

Hi, before I start, I'm 19 and was diagnosed with stage III endometriosis and adenomyosis at age 18. After my laparoscopy/hysteroscopy to diagnose and remove my endo, my gyno/surgeon told me to take Diclofenac Potassium (Voltaren Rapid) to manage my pain if I needed it.
It worked okay for the pain I had day to day, which was just nerve pain and referred back pain. But now I have started bleeding heavily again 11 months later and it's not a combination of the original pain coupled with agonising cramps and severe nausea. The nausea is new to me! :(  
I have an appointment to see him again on 28th July, but until then my regular  Doctor would be happy for me to be pain free... as I've been suffering a lot abd missing work and University a bit lately.

Voltaren Rapid isn't working, and I was wondering what is a good pain killer type medication to help both the 'period pain' severe cramps coupled with the scar tissie on my nerves causing pain in the local area and referring to my back. It's awful :(   Ibuprofen on its own doesn't work for me either. And I know not to combine any medications without Doctor's orders.

The medication I was taking immediately after my surgery was Ibuprofen with codeine, and also Di-gesic. That was obviously just for my post surgery healing period, and I was zombied out completely, but at least they worked.

I know that I could see my Doctor, but I don't want to experiment with different ones, I want something that works.

They key is to finding something that doesn't damage my kidneys etc too much, especially if I'm taking it once or twice most days. But I also need to be able to drive and work as a nurse, so I can't be on stuff that warps me out too much.

I've taken Mersyndol before, and that worked well but made me very drowsy which would be fine if I was going to bed.. but it has Codeine in it as well and I'm not a fan of becoming addicted to anything like that ...

Should I just try and take regular period pain pills, or advil during the day and then maybe Mersyndol to sleep or something as long as I wait 5 or so hours beforehand? Or one of the other ones instead of Mersyndol?

Any advice would be great, my heat pack is just not enough, and the Advil and Voltaren Rapid are wasting my money :(
Okay so the nausea could be estrogen, too  much of it.  

I was diagnosed with Stage IV endo. I have been on the BCP continuously for 4 yrs and I am pretty much pain free because I dont get a period.

I would try that if you havent.
Yeah I was on BCP but started bleeding again after 11 months, so after coming off it completely  for 7 (painful) days, they've combined BCP with Primolut (norethisterone) now for a more aggressive approach. And that's been working really well so far. The nausea was from the Voltaren they decided :)
Let me know how it goes
I also am suffering from recurring endo. Currently I had my doctor change my pain medication ( was previously on hydrocodone) becuase it made me feel wired and didn't help as much with the pain anymore. She has out me on Ultram (Tramadol). It is a non-narco pain med and has been working pretty well for me. You may want to check it out. I hope you are able to find something to help control the pain.