Endometriosis Community
Can endometriosis cause pain with exercise?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

I have endometriosis.  I notice that whenever I do moderate to intense exercise, or even anything involving lower stomach muscle engagement that I always end up in pain after.  I took zumba and then stationary biked last night and I was awakened by extreme pain in the middle of the night and have been in pain all day!  I usually get some pain from just doing ab or "core" exercises too.  It seems like the pain just from a single workout can last me a couple days.  Its the exact same cramping awful pain I used to get everyday before my surgery.  I just don't understand because everyone says that exercise is great for you and should help it... it seems like everytime I do something more intense then walking I have some sort of pain.  It's not fair!  Is this most likely my endometriosis or is this more likely to be unrelated to it?  What should i do? I can't just not exercise, my body needs it!  But I can't just continue to put up with this pain! help!
I am sorry you are in pain. It sounds like you have adhesions (typically associated with endo). That is what happens with adhesions-- the more activity the less pain.

I hope this helps,
achilles2
I always found bike riding was particularly bad. Pilates and yoga have been wonderful though! Good luck!
Achilles2 when i had surgery in march i don't they didn't find any adhesions, they can't form that quickly can they?

Ezkg i love pilates and yoga but for some reason i get alot of pain with those! i feel like it should help but it just doesnt :/
I believe they can. Is your surgeon an endo specialist instead of a general ob/gyn?
I also suffered from pain due to exercise, especially when I did intensive yoga  concentrating on my abs. But this was before my surgery. I am meeting my doctor this weekend, as I just had my surgery last week. But before my surgery she asked me not to do any physical activity straining my lower abdomen.

I will check with her if she asks me to continue the same and why she is suggesting that. Maybe able to get some generic info from her.
I had a few occasions when out jogging when I had terrible stomach pains and could barely get home, felt faint and sick. The last time it happened I collapsed a few streets from my home and a passerby called an ambulance. After that I was investigated and they suspected ovarian cancer. I opted for a full hysterectomy as I was near the menopause and during the operation they discovered endo. My ovaries had big tumours and were stuck together behind my womb also part of my bowel wsa stuck to my womb. I had obviously had endo for years. I have never had pain with exercise since the operation so I believe the endo was the cause.
Hi there
It sounds like they missed a bit when you had your surgery. You would be better to get it sorted soon before it spreads......yes of course exercise makes your pain worse and yes it is the endometriosis causing it.

I know how frustrating it is as I have  it too .  I used to be able to do loads of aerobics classes and zumba too which is such fun .  but now I can only manage 40 mins on a stationary bike on level 4 and don't even break out in a sweat!!  I am doing upper body resistance and am doing front and side plank as much as possible as sit ups are a definate no-no .  

maybe you should ask for a more experienced endo specialist surgeon ..say you are willing to travel to a different hospital for the surgery ....do anything but definately you need to get rid of it as it will just get worse everytime you have a  period and grow each time too.