Endometriosis Community
Due to have uterine ablation procedure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

Due to have uterine ablation procedure

Hi, I am 42yrs young black female, healthy, atheletic, and no kids.  My doctor recently told me I had a couple polyps and I am scheduled for a D&C.  She also mentioned if I am no longer thinking about kids, to go ahead with the uterine ablation.  I want to go ahead with the procedure, but i have a couple questions:

1.  What happens to the blood that normally would release?
2.  Am I really too old to have a kid?  
There are people that have children at 60 now a days, it just puts you at a greater risk is all.  
Of course you're not too old to have kids!  Uterine ablasion just removes the built up lining of the uterus, so I would think afterwards all would function as it did before but with lighter periods and maybe a little more infrequently.  I've thought about it but we've been TTC for 4 years now and it's not an option at the moment.  Let us know how it goes if you do it.
No, you're not too old to have children, but if you have the ablation done you cannot get pregnant.  Is a possibility of death if you do.  Know quite a few women down here who've had it done.  Seems to be the "in" thing for the drs around here to do now.  If you're going to have it done they want you to have your tubes tied first.

Theoretically if you have endometrial ablation you no longer have periods b/c there is nothing to sluff off even though you're still ovulating.  IF, however, they don't do it right you will bleed nonstop and depending on the kind of ablation you have done, can be in a lot of pain afterwards.  The one where they go in and scrape the uterus out and cauterise it is suppose to be the best one, but they have to get every bit of the endometrium out in order for it to work.  If they do the one with the scalding water to sort of boil it out the water can escape and burn other organs, such as the bladder.

If you still want to have children, have the D&C and skip the ablation would be my advice.
Goodness!  That sounds awful!  I read about a new procedure for endometrial ablation that's done in the office and takes about 90 seconds, makes you wonder how effective that could be.  So, are they saying that this is a good treatment for endo or just for people who have heavy bleeding a lot?  My RE told me that I would eventually have to have the hysterectomy, I'm putting it off, but if it's a permanent thing and will make the endo better it may be worth trying that first...before I let them yank out my Mommy parts, which I'm pretty attached to.  That is, if we try the IUI a couple of times with no luck, I'll be 35 this summer and that's my stopping point as far as TTC.  Not that I think someone over 35 is too old to have children, it's just my personal decision.
Never heard of a 90 second procedure for ablation, unless maybe it's the boiling water one.

It does not treat endo only heavy periods.  The only cure for endo, of course, is a complete hysterectomy.  With the ablation you will continue to cycle so it's just like having a partial hysterectomy where you have only your uterus removed.  Doesn't stop you from ovulating.  So it would not stop the endo from growing and bleeding, just from any extra leaking out of your uterus.

I'm 38 and with my medical problems there's no way I could have another baby, took me a LONG time to come to grips with this, so am ready to be rid of my "mommy parts".  :^)
I can't remember the name of the procedure but I looked it up a while back, there are very few physicians who are doing it at this point.  If I'm not mistaken it has something to do with laser or high frequency waves...sounded strange to me.
Ablation will remove your uterine lining and without it you cannot have children.
African american women are at much higher risk for fibroids, which can be treated by this method in some cases successfully. Endometriosis is not treated this way as it is endometrial lining tissue growing outside of the uterus (where it belongs). Endometriosis requires excision by a skilled laproscopic surgeon and in severe cases total hysterectomy. If you have a hysterectomy and they remove your ovaries you will go into menopause regardless of your age, with all side effects to consider including taking hormone replacement therapy, increased risk of osteoporosis, loss of libido, vaginal drying, hot flushes, night sweats etc. You may breeze through it, or not, but it's something to consider. Types of hysterectomy are LSH, Vaginal, Laparotomy. I think the procedure DLA is talking about is ExAblate 2000 MRgFUS using focused ultrasound. Only a few centers doing it and not easy to get reembursed at this time. It is not a treatment for Endo but rather for fibroids.
Hope this helps!
Wow, thanks for the insight!  Much appreciated.
Never heard of doing it with the U/S.  That's kinda freaky, actually, that they can do that with u/s when I thought they were suppose to be harmless.
It's called FUS or Focused Ultrasound.
It is much stronger that diagnostic ultrasound. They have been using it to break up kidney stones for years. When they use an MRI machine to get very targeted the call it MRgFUC g=guided.
This technology shows great potential for treating things in the future like inoperable brain cancer tumors.
If we can zap those fibroids away with FUS it will be great but there are not enough places doing it yet.
Hi, I had the Novasure procedure done on Sept. 29, 2009. I was having 7-10 day heavy periods so my Dr. recommended it. They put me to sleep and it was off to the races... I woke up in pain and was given meds.. After the procedure I had light bleeding and discharge for about 4 weeks, and cramped for about three days.  I got my regular period almost a week later. I am now on my second cycle since the procedure and haven't seen any changes. My period still flows heavily as if nothing happened. My question is how long should It take to see any results, or is this a sign that the procedure didn't work?
I have had the "90 second" ablasion that you are all talking about.  Its called Novasure.  I am going on my first full week post-op and so far, I haven't really had too many problems.  At least nothing I can't deal with.  I HAVE noticed however that I'm very bloated (look pregnant) and am still having the watery, smelly discharge.  I've read about many women who have had this done, and they all seem to have problems afterwards, so now I'm pretty worried about what to expect.  I already have a bad back, and many complain of having moderate to severe lower back pain.  Many complain that when they DO have a period after the procedure, it is almost a constant heavy run, like someone turned on a faucet, and there's no clotting or slowing it down until it runs it course, which could be 4 to 5 days.    I go on the 19th of April for my post-op visit, so I'm sure I will have answers to all these questions I have.  I will just say (recommend) that anyone considering this procedure, make sure you go someplace where they knock you out for it.  My Ob/Gyn didn't (just drugged me up) and it was the worst pain I've ever been in.  Thank God it didn't last very long, because I wouldn't have made it through it.
I had the novasue procedure done in Oct 09 no problems afterwards, no cycle since the procedure. In Mar, started haveing cramps everyday. Has gotten worse to the point almost in tears. I thought, hey have the procedure no more heavy bleeding or spotting all month long and no more pain. I was wrong. Go to the doctors next wed. Just hope there is something that can be done for the pain. I have been going through over the counter pain meds for two months, can't keep doing that because next thing you know i will have kidney or liver problems. Will let you know what the doctor says next week.
My gyno did the ablation on me as well and I am still having my monthly as if it was never done..
Good Luck to anyone that decides to do this..,.
I had an ablation procedure two weeks ago and still feel a little bloated.  The cramping stopped but am starting to cramp a bit again as well as having a bit of lower back pain.  Did anyone else experience this?  If so, how long do you think it might last.  I realize I'm still in the recovery stage so need to be patient... Also, how many weeks after the ablation can one resume sexual activity? Thanks!
Well, I feel real stupid. I had no facts about the after effects/side effects of Novasure before I had the proceudre I had on 9/16/2010. Now that it is over I am finding out these facts. My doctor told me nothing. I didn't realize the watery,light bloody discharge could go on for weeks nor did he tell me. I have no pain which is wonderful, but after reading all these post I am scared to death of what next month may hold. My cycle before the procedure was every 24 days with day 2 and 3 taking me out of service, not because of pain, they were just heavy. I never really had any pain just attitude problems. I pray that I haven't done something that may be even worse that what I had. I am so upset my OBGYN didn't tell me about the long flowing discharge and the possible return of a heavier period. I could have saved my money and my time if I would have known that. " Our people parish from a lack of knowledge"

Thanks to all for the information.
I am 42 yrs Old White Female I had the Novasure procedure done in 2009 it has almost been 2yrs I have never experienced what I am expercing now! I have the wrost pains in my Low Back  & unbarrable Pains in my Legs and the bleeding is back once a month, I just want to cry. Can anyone help me and is there more women out there suffering like me. I take 800 mg of IB Every 4 hours for One week a Month every month this is eating my stomach I can feel it!
I had my ablation 3 months ago.  My periods are getting lighter.  However, I have been experiencing lower back pain as well as bloating.  This has been going on for about a month now.  Are there others that are experiencing this as well?  Is this normal or will it go away?
Trying to decide to have the procedure done in the office or the hospital. Not sure what the pain is goin to be like in the office. Has anyone had this done in the Dr. office? After reading this Im not so sure I want to have it done now. Help!!!
I am 24 years old. I have one child, and am pretty sure at this time in my life that he is the only child that i am wanting to have. I have had menstrual problems and iron deficiencies since I was 16. My doctor doesn't object to a tubal ligation and ablation. I just wonder if I am making the wrong decision to terminate all chances of ever having my own child again... has anyone been in my shoes before?
I had this ablation done in 2006 (also had my tubes tied at the same time)...I felt bloated (which is from the air they put in) and had a small amount of bleeding for about 4 weeks after the procedure.  Since then I have had no complications and still do not get my period.  I feel great and do not regret having it done!  
I just had the Novasure done on 12/21/10. I was bleeding almost every day with big clots the size of quarters. I even bleed with birth control pills so had this procedure done. I only had a little bloating afterwards and some bleeding. Didn't need to take pain killers. Yesterday I quit bleeding. I don't know if that will last. Will keep you updated on my progress.
I had my hot water ablation on Dec.17, 2010.  Had some back pain day of procedure but
went away by the next day.  I'm about to have my fourth period since then.  I still am getting my periods about every 24 days.  I bleed about half of what I did before.  The nausea is better but I am still passing chunks half the size of pre-ablation.  Still flood at times.Otherwise, no significant cramping. I thought it would be more of an improvement than this.  Not sure if I trust that it will improve more.  Awfully expensive for just half the improvement.  Has anyone who still had periods after their hot water ablation seen any changes for the better after several months?  I had such high hopes for this procedure!!!
I am less than a week after my D&C and Novasure ablation.  I had it done in an outpatient surgery center on March 2nd and was asleep during the procedure.  From what my husband said, I was back only a half hour or so before they had him pull the car around for me to go home.  I had severe cramping on Wednesday afternoon and it's gradually gotten better.  I really had no bleeding, very minimal spotting on Wednesday and have noticed no real "watery" discharge either. My only issue is a yeast infection from the IV antibiotics that were given to me that day.  I do notice some bloating and a full feeling and still have some pain.  My cycle isn't supposed to start until next week, so I don't know yet if I will have a period.  I am hoping not!  This is my first day back to work.  I'm tired and uncomfortable sitting at my desk...I guess that's because I haven't had much activity in a few days...but so far so good...I'll keep you all posted.
Please do a lot of research before you have this done.  For some women it is only a temporary fix.  It can last six months, a year, two years...then you experience unbearable pain each month.  My pain used to last about half a day, now it's going on three days.  It is excruciating pain - the same as bad labor pain to me - with no relief.  No medication helps, and you are practically debilitated.  I have no option now but to have a hysterectomy.  Please find my post and read it, and the post of others.  Search "post ablation syndrome."  I think it will surprise you.  Good luck!
I had the Novasure Ablation in Sept 2010, at the age of 46. No medical issues at all, except for heavy, long lasting periods.  I bled/had a discharge, requiring a pantyliner, every single day, and had a backache, and pain in my tailbone,  for 4 months straight, until my GYN put me on hormone therapy for 30 days. 30 days estrogen plus 14 days of progesterone the second half of the month. The bleeding stopped after that, but as of 7 days ago, a year since the procedure,  I have started bleeding, again, nonstop, and having cramps, pressure, bloating, and a dull burning ache in my right side, requiring using something beyond a pantyliner.
Had I known what "could" happen, or that it could fail, I would not have chosen to have the Novasure Ablation procedure done. PLEASE, check all the facts, and read as many message boards as you can before going ahead with this procedure.
I just had the Novasure Ablation done 4 days ago...lasted 95.3 seconds, painful, yes, not so much as labor pains...with a little focus and some steady breathing I made it through, as well as a little medicine for pain. That night was awful, woke up every 2 hours, felt so nauseous..took my vicodin and ibuprofin every 4 hours...rested the next day and felt rather bloated...took just the ibuprofin halfway through the day...went to work Thursday, I'm a waitress...wasn't quite up to snuff so I left after about 2 hours...Friday, worked my normal shift and I feel fairly normal! With the exception of a touch of uterine tenderness, and some bloating, which I suspect will go down, I have only had a little discharge/spotting. Every procedure is different for everyone, I had 3 prior c sections and I still had it in the doctors office with a normal amount of pain meds...as my doctor said, you can do anything for 2 minutes...good luck to all you women who opt for the novasure ablation...four days into it and I have no complaints...
I just had the ablation yesterday and although I cannot attest as of yet to the success of it, I can tell you that I feel very good so far and am only having very slight bleeding and mild cramps.  

The bleeding can be very minimal to very light every month or the bleeding can stop altogether after the ablation procedure is done.

In regards to having children, this procedure ceases the chance of you having kids and if you do become pregnant, it can be very detrimental to you.

Hope this helps.
Well, I am on here looking for answers and found this post that I put on here 4years ago. I  decided to give an up-date of my NovaSure experience. I must say thank God, no cycle since the procedure was done in 2010. I have mind back pain and lower abdomen pain all the time. The worse part of this whole thing is the smell and how it has changed my sex life for the worse. The weight gain just around the stomach is crazy and not amount of dieting will make it go away. I have been looking for a small action law suit against Novasure for all the issues that I am having and had no information about. I am frustrate and wish I had never done this.