Endometriosis Community
Endometriosis after Menopause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

Endometriosis after Menopause

I am a 51 year old that has has 2 Laporoscopies in the last 20 years.  I have been through Menopause for about 8 years according to my records and blood tests...Last one 11 years ago.  I feel terrible and my GYN ( here in Germany) will not do a laporoscopy.  Does not believe I could possibly have Endo back.  My body tells me Yes.  My family Dr. here did Tumor Marker tests for me ..The CA 72-4 results came back quite high (normal is less than 3)  3 times.
1) 6.7  2)  17.4  3) 5.4....My Dr. believes that possibly the tests have come back high due to further inflamation (inflammation) from either scar tissue or new growths from Endometriosis.  2 GYN's will not give me a laporoscopy  Hysterectomy which I would like to have.  I have been getting many sharp cramping pains along with dark stools.  I am very active but these pains have had me slow down, which is not good.  Please let me know what you know about the CA 72-4 test.  I know mostly for Cancer the CA 125 and CA 19 a few other are used.  I will not be moving back to the U.S. again for a few months, and I really would like to get some other advice. I have seen in Canadian research that women as old as 70 can also have Endometriosis  back, or for the first time...
Thank you for your time and I look forward to any news you may be able to share with me on this.
Hi Katie

I can't help you with the CA 72-4 test but perhaps the link to Hystersisters and the forum about endometriosis there might help you.  I found it really helpful in discussing endometriosis as I learnt that even after a hysterectomy endo can recur if bits of it were left behind (or some such thing) so I don't see why the same thing wouldn't apply to non surgical menopause.

Check out the site, it's really helpful for many things.  And YES get some other advice and someone who will take you seriously!

All the best and hope you get some help!