Endometriosis Community
Full recovery after laparoscopic surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

I had laparoscopic surgery to remove some endometriosis and i am on my fifth week now. The first two weeks were kind of rough, the third week pain at the incision sites was getting better, and by the fourth week i was walking 20-25 minutes each day. I was comfortable going up and down the stairs, and i did minor things around the house like washing dishes and doing my laundry and stuff. i felt i was getting better and then by the end of the fourth week my incision pain got worse all of a sudden. the pain was so bad i had to go to the ER. the doc did a CT and said my organs looked fine and i had no sign of infection. However, he suggested i get checked by the GYN who did my surgery. The pain around the incision site got better after i rested in bed for three straight days. How long does it take to fully recover from your experience? they tell u 2-3 weeks and i thought i would spring back to normal in that time but i am still home. thanks for all your advices
Hi Mimi, I went through the same concerns as you! They told me it would be a small procedure and i should take a 'week off work'!. After my extensive surgery 18 months ago, it took me a long time to gain back my full strength and full fitness regime, i would say up to 3 months before i was 100%. You may be dealing with actual symptoms from the surgery for the first month, but then you have to slowly regain your strength and fitness.
I took 3 - 4 weeks off work, then spent the rest of recovery time to just doings at my own pace. I was very dizzy and very naeucious for a long time after my surgery which made things really difficult. But everything got better after around 6 weeks. I didnt drive for about a month either.

It sounds like you are doing great. It takes time and you have to be annoyingly anf frustratingly patient! By listening to your body but not getting too anxious about over analysing everything! Very difficult. I ended up seeing a natropath and GP for weeks after because i just felt so awful for so long i was convinced there had to be a hundred other things wrong with me! But it all just healed itself eventually.

Sounds like you are in more pain than i was, which i hear is very common. I would speak to a good GP about it or even seek a natropath. They can speak to you about how diet can affect your body and hopefully give you some help on a different level.

Take your time, sounds like you are doing everything you should and it will get better x
I had my laparoscopy 6 days ago, 1 week tomorrow. My appendix was covered in adhesions and i had a patch of endo somewhere else. My incisions do not hurt me at all anymore, but are very stiff and I have a slight tugging feeling around my belly button. On the other hand my side hurts really bad where my appendix is. This makes it hard for me to walk around very much. I can stand for like 10-15 minutes at a time though. I expect to have my appendix removed next time I have a lap because I am not going to deal with having it cleaned off every year. I also tried to drive way too early. I was in so much pain and I won't be doing that again until next week. You may have already had endo start to grow back and that is what is causing your pain. Try to take it easy, rest a lot, and eat healthy. Also try and find a way to get your pain under control. I take 4 advil, 3 tylenol and 4 fish oil every day.

Hi Sydney, thanks so much for your post. So did you stay home the whole 3 months, is that how long it took you to feel confident enough to go back to daily activities? I'm on my seventh week now, things are a bit better than last week, i have been doing acupuncture twice a week,  my acupuncturist is a licensed Dr. in that field and she does many herbs for different things so she might also be a naturopath so I will inquire with her. She gave me some herbal pills that i am taking right now. If not I will look for a naturopathic doctor. I think it's better to do that than pop pain meds, i have stopped taking them a week ago because I want my body to heal itself without any pain meds. Just being able to function without the pain meds i think is a good sign my body is getting better. Baby steps, lol, but it is slowly getting better. I think walking around and doing things on my 4th week put me really back. I started walking every morning and doing light work around the house and I was feeling ok but by the end of the fourth week pain around the incisions got worse, it felt like i had just had surgery. So I think it put me back, but i have been really resting and just doing upper body strength exercises and walking a bit round the house. I am being annoyingly and frustratingly patient lol, you have no idea. It is very frustrating sometimes, especially in the morning that is when I have the most pain. I used to google things all day about all the things that could have gone wrong with my surgery, but i stopped doing that after my doc told me my CT scan was normal and so was my bloodwork and urine. I am just so happy that this forum exists and that people like you can provide this kind of feedback because it relaxes me even more and lets me just take it easy.
Ok. I am so glad your blood work and scans came back normal. This happened to me. I think everyone heals at a different pace. I just talked to me friend who is a nurse in this field and she said that not everyone heals in a textbook sort of way. There is no "supposed" to be as we are all SO different. For people like me who are very aware of thier bodies, it can take longer and I feel every little thing. She said that doctors don't always know what they are talking about either. I also just talked to my mom who has a friend who took a whole year to heal from the same surgery. We are AL different.
hi ladies thanks for your posts. I recently had laparoscopy to remove endometrioma from left ovary n severe endo from pelvic region including along the rectum and bowel. Op was 3.5 weeks ago on 8 June and I still feel really fatigued, sometimes dizzy and generally weak. I'm still eating soft foods as my bowels are still unsettled from the surgery. My recovery was slowed because my belly button wound got infected last week and I had to take antibiotics. I've no real appetite and I've lost over 5 kilos in the last 3 weeks which has not helped. I've started taking multivitamins and drinking protein drinks to put weight back on. Does anyone have any other useful tips for recovery? I'd love to hear them!
Hey there Ladies, Just thought I'd quickly share  my recovery experience too. I had my second op in Nov '09. It took me 3 solid weeks to get on top of things to even move at pace. The major problem with me is that I had a horrible dragging and stabbing pain on the left side. It was awful and I thought that I had a hernia.(or might be similar to the pain you are experiencing as appendix pain??) It was far more painful than my previous surgery. I went to my gp and she told me I needed to try some stool softeners cos she thought I had a blockage. Funnily enough... three days in to that things started to alleviate and I realised that i was actually healed from the surgery it had been this incredible pain from my bowel/intestine that I was feeling. Pain killers really do affect that process.. On the plus side cos of that pain I wasn't moving much at all for those first three weeks. U need to count on at least 3 weeks out after this surgery. One week is just crazy. I was told the same and both times it took me three weeks to just be able to move freely and walk at pace. That's not even counting lifting/moving fast. Be patient with ur body. If this helps any of u than it was worth sharing. Just look into if ur bowel movements r affecting ur recovery. It was incredibly painful and I didn't think that it could possibly just be as simple as stool softeners. :)
Hi Skimbo thanks for your post i might look into that although my bowels just feel unsettled at times with reflux and indigestion not necessarily a blockage. The doc says the bowels can be quite affected by the surgery especially if they remove endo from it. When did you start feeling more normal? I was starting to feel ok a month out but then some days (like yesterday) I would feel bad again like I had relapsed! Did this happen to you? It's so frustrating sometimes! I just have to keep resting and doing the right things. I find I notice slight improvements week to week but not day to day.  
Yeah I know the feeling. Its such a frustrating thing learning to be patient with ur body. I still have lots of days where I just wanna burst into tears cos I might get half way through the washing or only be able to do the dishes with a major long list of things to do. Just feel silly having to have a break every half an hour. I am currently suffering from pain in my back which I am pretty sure is adhesions on the inside. I can currently only do abut 45 mins of anything active then have to rest. Lining up for third surgery I guess. Two in one calender year. Yay! As for a direct answer to ur questions. Yeah I felt like I was having relapses but it was when I would have to step back and just be honest about whether or not I had been doing too much that day. And the hardest thing is to not look at it compared ur old self or other ppl its whether or not it was too much for u now in that current state. if u keep  pushing urself u will stall ur healing. So my advice... I guess. Stay hydrated. Keep rested. only do as much as u can do even if that is only half an hour at a time. u will get back to normal pace. But also if its been this long its definitely time to have a check up with ur gp too and see what they have to say. Dunno if they did anything else while they did ur surgery but the first one I had they also put in a IUD. Which for me at the time (20) I was too young to have one and my uterus was too small and I cramped for two weeks straight and I just thought it was healing pains. As soon as I went back to my gyno two and a half weeks later he said u shouldn't be moving that slow still.. And he yanked it out! He was surprised that the hospital ppl even tried to do one on me being so young and having not had children. .. Which of course gave me my monthlys right after having surgery on the area! Not a fun idea I tells ya... So.. in summary.. I think that u definitely should be moving a lot better by now. If ur gp doesn't have any answers then i'd be calling my surgeon. Even just leave a msg with the nurse and get them to call u back cos u shouldn't be having so much problems this far out from surgery. Best of luck. Can't hurt to give them a call and they might have the answer that will make u feel better in a few days if it is something like an undissolving stitch or bowel problems or who know unless u ask. :)  Keep us informed with how u go.
i am 20 years old and i am going to be meeting with a obgyn towards the end of the month. they are not sure what is wrong. my aunt thinks that i have endometriosios. i am kinda scared cuz i dont know what to do. anybody got any advice?
Hi Hickchick. I'm 23 and had surgery for endometriosis 2 months ago. Its only normal to be scared. If you are experiencing a lot of pain in the lower abdomen then it could be endo. It also could be something else like an ovarian cyst. Hopefully it won't be anything serious. Let me know how it goes? And good luck.
ok i go to see the obgyn on the 18th of this month.  i am really scared. i dont know what to think a ll i know is that something is not right with me. my boyfriend noticed last night in the shower that i am loosing chunks of hair not really big chunk but decendt size ones. i do wear my hair up in a poy tail and he said that might have some to do with it but not all. i am not sure whti should do.
well wensday i go see the obgny but i noticed that this month i had like no period at all. there was a little bit of bloode here or there but not enough to fill up a tampon. nomally i am constantly changing and this month i can wear a lit pad cuz that is all i need. its like there is nothing there. is that a sign of endo?
is it wierd that all of a suddon my elbows, my head, my arms. everything is starting to hurt. i feel like sitting down and not moving. my arms feel like they weigh a 100 pounds a piece. and one minute  i am roast my butt off and the next i am freezing. got any ideas of what it could be?
Gosh, I really have no idea about the pains in your arms and all.  I thought maybe the other symptoms sounded a bit more like Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome maybe.  But I'm no doctor.  I've never had PCOS or Endo.  It's best to try not to worry, see your gynaeocologist, and take things from there.  Try not to stress too much.  Our hormones really affect our body.  I hope all goes OK with the Dr.  Please take care, and don't worry.  Things will get sorted!!

I had pains in in the top of my arms and legs too, and at the bottom of my back, they were worse than the abdo pains, they felt like dead weights, had trouble carrying the shopping, and sometimes got very breathless, sometimes gasping for breathe. My gyno says that they can't be anything to do with what could be wrong with me, however since my surgery 1 wk ago, they have totally gone.

I had endometriosis and adhesions to my ovaries, tubes and bowel, also had a Mirena coil removed as it was causing an infection.
I have been given diclofenic painkillers to insert, which aren't too bad and take away some of the pain and co-amox something for the infection. Have felt very dizzy and sick too.

I just want to get better now, am doin light duties at home like, washing etc, however if i do too much have abdo pains in the evening that i cannot get rid off. My tummy is still swollen and tender.

I have had heavy periods for years and have not been able to go to the toilet for at least 18 months unaided. I was told that i should have an hysterectomy 5 years ago, due to the periods and having a large fibroid in the wall of my womb, however seeked further advise and had a Mirena coil fitted. The Mirena coil stopped my periods for 3 years which was bliss, after years of suffering.

Did i do the right thing, i am wondering, would the hysterectomy saved me from endometrosis ?

Hi Ladies,
I am 21 and have been told i have endo. :'( I have also been told i have next to no chance of having kids as i have had endo for quite some time and has gone un noticed and treated. I am due to have surgery soon and am quite scared. i dont no what to expect, i have told work ill need about a week off. what should i expect and shoud i deff take more time off??
Thanks Lea
I sent you a message.
Hi leal,

How did they know that you had Endo?  From what I know, there is no way to diagnose Endo except for the laparoscopic surgery, which sounds like they have not done yet.  I would think it would be very hard for them to say that you will not have children.  Do not believe that until you have the proof.  Many women with Endo have children.

I am quite sure I have had Endo since being a teen (29 now).  I had my daughter at 25.  Had a Lap last week and found out for sure I had Endo, after having more severe symptoms for the last year.  They were able to laser the Endo off of my uterus and ovary.

I was extremely scared to have the surgery.  Very very scared.  It turned out okay, although I have had a difficult surgery so far.  I would recommend that you have the surgery if you are comfortable with it, so that you know what you really are dealing with.  That way, if it is something else, they can then treat it before if gets any worse.  

My doctor says I should still be able to have more children, however, my chances are best if I do it sometime soon after having the surgery just in case the Endo would grow back.  She thinks the chances are good that it won't (I am not so optimistic!).

Get the facts before you worry.  If you ever want to talk about it, I would be happy to!
I am now on day 3 after my surgery. I am a single mom of a 3 month old. Omg it is hell. I have little to no help at all. Her dad helps a little when he is not working but he works 7am to 8pm 6 days a week. Getting up and down with her is murder. I can keep popping pain pills cuz I gotta take care of her. I can't even drive or carry her with her car seat. Hell I drove myself from the hospital after having her. I don't know what I am gonna do. I am afraid of breaking stitches. I had a laparoscopy ovarian cystectomy. 3 incisions to remove a 15cm cyst.
I just had the surgery on the 21st I am 35 and I was very scared. But its been a week today and I feel great. I want to go to the gym so bad but I am trying to wait one more week just to be safe. I ate solid foods the next day after the surgery. The worse part of the surgery for me was the gas. It still is in my right sholder. I could not sleep on my side at all just my back. Everytime I got up or down from setting the gas pockets would move around and it is very painful. I had endemetreosis removed. I still can't bend over and touch my toes but I walk around and do cleaning all day long with no problems.
hi ladies, hope u all feel better. i am also gona have the laproscopy surgery done and I am very scared of the pain.
I was supposed to have my missing IUD removed from somewhere it wasn't suppose to be (since it went through my uterus). I had a laparoscopy done on the 11th but to my surprise the doctor couldn't find the IUD, instead he removed a golf-size cyst and diagnosed I have endometriosis. I'm feeling pretty good except for the gas that makes my shoulders and chest hurt real bad at times
.

I've been experiencing abdominal pains for a few months now. The docs thought it was either a digestive issue or endometriosis. After many tests, my digestive system was fine. I then went for a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy on Friday and was told everything was fine. I still need to go for my consultation in 3 weeks time, but has anyone else been through this, just to be told there is nothing wrong? And if so, what could be the cause of the problem?
When do u get the pain? Randomly after u eat certain things?? Where is the pain exactly, lower or upper part?
I had my surgery 9 weeks ago and had a mirena device fitted and I've been sooooo much better. They removed extensive endo from my uterous and bowel area (about the size of an apple), considering my age the Gyno thought it was very advanced, i'm 21 and a classical voice student (diaphram is very essential in my line of work). Before surgery I had lived with terrible periods from the age of 11 but that was managble until 2 years ago when I developed what the doc's thought to be IBS. My only relief from this was immodium and buscopan everyday and I could handle that unitl this year when nausea, vommitting and constant pain became part of my everyday life. Also the pain meds and immodium had stopped working too, it wasn't until then that I was diagnosed with endo and had surgery.
Since the surgery I've felt great, there was the week of horrible shoulder pain and exhaustion but I've seemed to get better every week. Then I was an idiot (in my 6th week of recovery) and decided to go into the city for a day to spend with friends and decide to have a glass of wine. Big mistake I threw up, between the full day and the alcohol it was like a system over load (alcohol is like poison at the moment). But I didn't learn my leason until last week (week 8) when I went to a dinner with friends where dancing was envolved (again system over load). A note to others it really isn't worth it just be patient with yourself, sometimes your mind belives you're back to normal and you go to act as if you're 100%, just take caution.

What I have noticed is that whilst I'm feeling SO much better my stomach is still tender and feels swollen, I have a lot of wind and I seem to be urinating all the time, has anybody else found this???

Hey,
the same thing happened to me. I'm 21 and at the end of last year beginning of this year my hair started coming out in chunks. To start with it wasn't much but it was every time I washed it or brushed it, after a few months I could start seeing a difference, as my hair was very thick (this lasted from december last year to june this year). As you can imagine my hair's alot thinner now but it's stopped coming out and new hairs have started growing. In my case it was because my body couldn't absorb all the nutrients it needed (bloody endo was so close to my bowel) most of my food would go straight through me (forgive the graphic description). Now I've had the surgery and touch wood it's coming back, I've also started putting weight back on I'm at a healthy weight now (was very under weight before).
I'll say to you, I know it's hard but try not to get depressed by it (I did and it didn't help me) there's definately something up probably your body has other things it needs to supply nutrients to (i.e. the areas that have endo), remember your hair is the weakest part in the body.
i have to get laprascopic surgery to get my iud removed because my doctor lost it.  I already had an ultrasound and they said that i need the surgery.  does it hurt at all, and how long is recovery afterwards, and when should i be able to get back to work.  also when should i be able to get pregnant again?
what is the worst part about lapascropic surgery to remove an iud
Hi dear,
I had a lap done to remove 2 endos in my uterus on 5june. It took me about 3 weeks to recover and gain strength. And yes i lost 4 kg! Im petite therefore the recovery took longer. In week 3 (after losing blood cuz of D&C) I got my period! It was excruciatingly painful.. especially on my left side where the endo were. I spoke to my surgeon and he said IT'S NORMAL to have first 2 painful periods and extra blood loss but NOTHING TO WORRY. So the uterus will take at least 3months to heal depending on your lifestyle. U can take herbal medicine from a naturopath (which I've been doing to strengthen up), take evening primrose or try 'Brands' Chicken/Fish essence with ginseng (they sell these in small bottles in Asian supermarkets).
Hi I'm almost two weeks along on the road to recovery. Right now I feel like everything in my tummy is falling out when I walk. Yesterday I think I pushed myself way too hard so today I had to.lie down most of the day. Sometimes I get these stabbing pains  and its like no one else really understands cuz they are not walking around with part of their insides missing. Thanks for all the comments cuz having pass through what the same thing makes it eaasy to relate my frustrations to you all.
I'm not sure if anyone still uses this board or not but I had diagnostic lap surgery 2.5 weeks for severe pelvic pain and excruciating pain in my vagina and anus. I have been suffering from for nearly 14 years (none of my doctors have been able to find out anything nor were they willing to do any surgeries.). While my doctor was in there she found a mass amount of scar tissue more in my stomach area than my pelvis and my she said my reproductive organs look great and healthy. She also found I have an extra blood vessel above my ureter that no one has but apparently I was born with it--it is large and supplies a mass amount of blood to my pelvic region which she believes is the cause of my heavy and painful periods. Anyway, she removed the scar tissue and told me in two weeks I should be all healed up. Except I'm not. I'm experiencing sharp pain internally from my right incision all the way up the side of my hipbone to the top of it. My left incision hurts internally when I have a bowel movement and once I am done the pain stops. I am also having sharp stabbing pains in my vagina that last a couple of minutes during which time I can hardly breathe and have to remain very still or it hurts even worse! My belly button incision is also still very tender and riding in a car causes pain and swelling in my belly as does sitting for more than an hour. I can hardly fit into any of my pants and it hurts my incisions. I have been back to the doctor two times since my surgery and she has told me her patients are better by two weeks and has no idea what the problem is (she performed an exam and felt for abnormalities, etc.). In case of infection internally she put me on Levaquin and Flagyl. She also had me do two urine tests and some blood work and stop the Levaquin and instead start a 14 day round of Doxycycline. I am supposed to call her tomorrow (6/17/13) to let her know how I am feeling and if I am not better than she will order a CT. I'm very concerned as I am pretty careful as to what I put into my body--I eat mostly vegetarian/raw foods and these antibiotics are taking a toll on me and don't seem to be doing anything positive. I'm so fatigued after being up and about only a short time and I just want my life and health back! Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Did anyone else has their appendix sent off for testing? I had mine out yesterday an the nurse said its really rare to have them sent off for testing!! :/ PANICKING!!!