Endometriosis Community
Having one ovay removed....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

Having one ovay removed....

I have endometriosis. Last year I went in and had my tubes tied and had just a little scar tissue removed. The doctor said it was in stage 1 at the time. Well two weeks ago I went in for a ultrasound so I could get lined up for something called an ablasion. Well when they went in I had a lot more scar tissue than before, I had a very large cyst on my right ovary and the right ovary was measuring at 5cm. So we are suppose to do surgery next Wednesday. The doctor said he may have to remove the ovary when he gets in there but he will have to look at it and then he will know something. So my question is under what circumstances would a doctor actually take an ovary out? I also wanted to know what the recovery time is if I have to have it removed? The doctor also told me that within a year or two I will probally have a hysterectomy but may be able to keep the left ovary so I do not have to go on horomone pills. I am only 26 and the thought of all this scares me. I just didnt think I would be faced with this at such a young age. Any information would be great. Thank you for your time.
Tags: ovary
I'm sorry to hear that your going through this. I hope I can help at least a little. I'm 22 and was finally dx with endo about 5 years ago, though they think I've had it since about 12-13 y/o. When I had my 1st lap, I had severe endo and a chocolate cyst. Next lap about a yr, later I had moderate - severe endo with another large cyst on my rt. ovary. They took out 1/2 of my right ovary. The recovery time for that was the same as any other lap I had. Usually it takes me about a week to get back to normal. After all this, I was told by a specialist to "find mr. wonderful and have your kids now." I was 19? Thank God, I had just met my husband!!

It sounds like you are done having kids? If that is the case, my opinion is to get the hysterectomy now instead of dealing with the same issue over and over. I know it's easier said than done. I told my OB that when I am done having kids - no matter what age, I want it all out. I don't want to deal with this anymore. But the more I think about it... the less I want to do it, even though I know it will HAVE to be done sometime.  My aunt had a hyster at age 27 due to this, and my mom was told to have one done at 33-35 I think. So she opted to have a 1/2 of a hyster done, well needless to say at age 40? she had to have a total and she shouldn't have waited. But I know it's hard and I'm here if you have any questions, need to vent, rant, rave, cry or whatever. You can send me a message anytime... I understand.

Good luck! Hugs :)