Endometriosis Community
Lupron Treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

Lupron Treatment

Hello everyone!! I am brand new to this site... I just wanted to get some feedback from others and I am hoping to get positive and negative feedback. I am a 25 year old female and I was referred out by the military (active duty coast guard) to an OBGYN for an abnormal period for the first time in my life. I always had regular cycles and I just knew something wasnt right..My husband and I have been trying to concieve (conceive) for about 13 months.I always had a bit of pain with my cycles and in between cycles as well. After having a laprascopy, D&C, hysteroscopy, and blue dye injections the OB told me I had endometriosis and that both of my tubes were blocked. he instanly suggested 6-month treatment of Lupron. I was very scared about this medicine just becasue of all the side effects I read...I did not want to be 25 and in a menopause type state. After two weeks of healing from surgery and constant thinking we decided to go for the treatment. Dr. says that this will allow time for the endometriosis to dry up and die off so my tube can become unclogged. He said he has never had someone go through this treatment and not have at least one tube unclogged. I got my first shot a week ago and I do not go back for my other one for three months. So far I have just had a constant fever and a cold. I guess you could say at times I have been a little bit moody and my stomache pain has increased a bit. I do know that this is normal to have symptoms increase in the first two weeks. I am just wondering has anyone else go through this treament and had a successful outcome? Like I said before I am more so on this for the fact of clearing my tubes so we can start a family...I can live with the pain and I always have!! Thank you so much!!!
Hi there!  Sorry to hear about your endo. I haven't had any dealings with lupron YET, but I may in the future. I was just curious as to why they didn't try to unblock them during surgery?  I also had to have a hysteroscopy and laparoscopy for my endo, but the hysteroscopy was for a polyp in the middle of my uterus. Sorry for sounding nosey if I do, I just always thought they could unblock them while they were in there?

I'm scared of the side effects from lupron as well.  A pill I can stop but a shot has to wear off.  I'm 33 and have been married for 13 yrs now and ttc for 8 of those.  Like yourself I've lived with the pain, always have but I don't plan on living the rest of my life like this.  I can't take it anymore :(.  Probably going for a 2nd surgery soon, gotta get my husband in for a semen analysis and we'll go from there as what to do. Anyways, sorry for blabbering lol.  Good luck hun!!
Hi Arpeck!  My 28 year old daughter is having a lap done next week for stage 4 Endometriosis. Her high risk ob/gyn told her he would not use the Lupron on her because of all the horrible side effects. He will insert a Merina IUD during surgery to hopefully stave off quick growth. He is also doing a dye test to see if her tubes are open. He told her that as soon as she has her last child, she will need a hysterectomy.  If she doesn't have children within a few years, she will most likely have to undergo another lap to remove more endo and fix pain. Good luck!!!
Did your doctor prescribe add-back? If not I recommend that you ask for it, it will help with the side effects.
achilles2
I have Stage IV and I was on Lupron 3 times for 6 months with Add back therapy but I didnt take the add back for the last time I did it.

The side effects I had were joint pain, hot flashes, and emotional outbursts with depression. I didnt like the way that made me feel at all.

Before that and after I was on Lupron I was on Marvelon which was pretty effective for me.

I now take a somewhat new med called Visanne. It is made for people with Endo is a progesterone only pill but it is not a contraceptive. It is similar to Luprons effects and the only side effects I have gotten are little bumps on my face, neck and chest, almost like small pimples but they are not read just raised as well as being emotional.