Endometriosis Community
Mild Endo - Laprascopy or not
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Mild Endo - Laprascopy or not

I have had pain on my left side now for about a year. The pain is not horrible, just enough pain that it is always there and I am aware of it. Sometimes it is a sharp, stabbing pain but mostly just uncomfortable. Anyway, my gyno has been doing Trans Vag Ultrasounds now every 3 - 4 months thinking my pain was being caused by some small ovarian cysts. But the cysts are pretty small and what they call normal, follicular cysts so not really worried about cancerous cysts. But there is one spot that keeps showing up on my ultrasound that they are not sure what it is. The US Technician who performs the test says it looks like an area of scar tissue that was probably a cyst that just burst. But over the year the area always comes up. So my gyno now thinks maybe it is endo tissue on my ovary and wants to do a labrascopy to investigate further. He said he would just go in and have a look around. It indeed it is endo tissue he would remove the tissue, if it looks like a cyst healing then maybe try and remove any cysts and go from there. He said he would not remove the ovary unless something bad showed up. He doesn't think cancer because I had a CA125 a year ago and it was normal. My question is do you think the laprascopy is too invasive a proceedure since I am not really having severe pain or any other symptoms like bleeding or bad periods? I don't know if the risks outweigh the need for the test. On one hand I want to know once and for all. There is some anxiety with this. I am always thinking in the back of my mind when I feel the pain. What if it is cancer or something bad and I do nothing. But the fact that it hasn't increased in size in a year gives me comfort. But I am scared of the effects of a laprascopy. Will it cause adhesions from scar tissue that I don't have now? Is that a side effect from laprascopy? I get scared of general anesthesia risk, infection risk, perferated organs, etc. I know they are rare risks but I am trying to make a good decision as to weather get the lapra or not. Just live with endo. I don't even know if it is endo. Can endo get worse over time if i choose to do nothing or does it pretty much stay the same. Help.