Endometriosis Community
Mild Endo - Laprascopy or not

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

Mild Endo - Laprascopy or not

I have had pain on my left side now for about a year. The pain is not horrible, just enough pain that it is always there and I am aware of it. Sometimes it is a sharp, stabbing pain but mostly just uncomfortable. Anyway, my gyno has been doing Trans Vag Ultrasounds now every 3 - 4 months thinking my pain was being caused by some small ovarian cysts. But the cysts are pretty small and what they call normal, follicular cysts so not really worried about cancerous cysts. But there is one spot that keeps showing up on my ultrasound that they are not sure what it is. The US Technician who performs the test says it looks like an area of scar tissue that was probably a cyst that just burst. But over the year the area always comes up. So my gyno now thinks maybe it is endo tissue on my ovary and wants to do a labrascopy to investigate further. He said he would just go in and have a look around. It indeed it is endo tissue he would remove the tissue, if it looks like a cyst healing then maybe try and remove any cysts and go from there. He said he would not remove the ovary unless something bad showed up. He doesn't think cancer because I had a CA125 a year ago and it was normal. My question is do you think the laprascopy is too invasive a proceedure since I am not really having severe pain or any other symptoms like bleeding or bad periods? I don't know if the risks outweigh the need for the test. On one hand I want to know once and for all. There is some anxiety with this. I am always thinking in the back of my mind when I feel the pain. What if it is cancer or something bad and I do nothing. But the fact that it hasn't increased in size in a year gives me comfort. But I am scared of the effects of a laprascopy. Will it cause adhesions from scar tissue that I don't have now? Is that a side effect from laprascopy? I get scared of general anesthesia risk, infection risk, perferated organs, etc. I know they are rare risks but I am trying to make a good decision as to weather get the lapra or not. Just live with endo. I don't even know if it is endo. Can endo get worse over time if i choose to do nothing or does it pretty much stay the same. Help.
I am on birth control and have been on it since I was 26 (I am now 44). Shouldn't this stop the growth of endo tissue. Or doesn't it make a difference if you are on the pill or not. Also, I do see a gyno/oncologist for cervical displasia. Do you think he would also do endometriosis? I haven't discussed this problem with him because he usually only sees me for my cervical displasia once a year and this is a new problem that I have been dealing with my obgyn doctor.
hi there - endo spreads - I had it since I was 11 or 12 my GP put me on the contraceptive didnt know I had endo now at 32 I have been trying to have a baby and we realised the endo is EVERYWHERE! its in my ovaries, pouch of douglas, rectum, gallbladder and kidneys and now at stage 4-5 already and I am about to have a lap, YES there are very real risks I worry to never had an operation but it gets worse over time - for last year I have had a very swollen stomach and feel lousy not alot of pain or heavy period but its got worse it spreads as the cells in the endometiotic tissue are alive they paste themselves all over and multiply wouldnt leave it at all must get help hun or land up in a situation now like I am in and risk a hysterectomy.