Endometriosis Community
Not sure if Endometriosis or normal pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

I'm 16, and I started my menstrual cycle when I was 12. The past couple of years, my periods have been extremely painful. I've had to miss school, and stay in bed all day, the first day it starts. My cycle has always been irregular, with my period lasting 5-7 days and usually coming between every 4-5 weeks. I've always had trouble with bowel movements when I'm menstruating, and it's often very painful. Recently, I've been noticing pain during ovulation, even worse than the cramps I get when I'm on my period. I can hardly stand it; at some points I am on the floor rolling around because I'm in so much pain. I get cramping in my lower belly, near my ovaries, and also in my upper thighs and lower back. Recently, I've noticed I get cramps a week before my period starts, and I always get awful menstrual like cramps when I exercise. I haven't been diagnosed with endometriosis, but it runs in my family. My grandma and aunt have it. I haven't been seen by any specialists, but I'm wondering if maybe I do have endometriosis. I know I'm very young, but I've read that doctors are beginning to see it in younger girls. I'm not sure what it is, but it's frightening, and I've been noticing my periods have been getting more painful. I'm not sure if I ought to be seen by a specialist, since I'm so young, or if I should continue to cope with the pain. I take Advil for it, often as many as 9 a day. I'm 5"8 and 105 pounds, and I'm wondering if my weight has something to do with it? I'm not sure. Feedback or advice would be much appreciated.
PAIN IS NOT NORMAL!!! I recommend that you find an endometriosis specialist (If your insurance requires it-- get a referral for one) to find one near you contact the endo association:

http://www.endometriosisassn.org/

I hope this helps,
achilles2
I agree with achilles2, its never acceptable to accept pain, especially when you dont actually know what the cause is.

An endo specialist is definitely your best way to go. Endo is a tricky disease to treat, even more so in teens. My endo specialist conducted a research study on teens and the results so far are promising. You should check it out. Medhelp doesnt allow us to list websites so ill just give you his name to search him. Hes Patrick Yeung jr in st Louis missouri. My experience with him and the hospital were fantastic!

I really think I know more about endo than my gyn. its important to educated yourself so you'll get the best treatment. You've already done great by coming here.
i'm 16 years old too and i have the same symptoms . After going to the gyno a few days ago they are telling me that they believe i have endo. i have to have a laparoscopy first though. My gyno is telling me that the longer you go untreated the more serious it can become.
I was reading all the post. I am suffering from  endometrosis and trying to concieve (conceive) since 6 yrs. Extensive pain during periods and problems with bowel movements is v commom with Endo.
Lady Legacy
I read your post if you really have endo than your doc is right as if u dont treat endo it becomes more serious.Have you done pelvic ultrasound? As in my case to diagonise my doc 1st advice me with ultrsound and later CT scan for abdomen and pelvic. In my CT scan report i came to know that i have endo. Later my gyno conducted lapro for the same. All i can say is dont worry you will be fine. All the best.