Endometriosis Community
Pain after laparoscopy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

Viewing 201-210 comments:
You're doctor is nuts to think it only takes three days to recover. Due to my job of stocking shelves my doctor wrote a note for work and I had three weeks off. If I was not doing physical labor my doctor would have still wanted me to take a 1-2 weeks off. It takes 3-4 days just to get the CO2 gas out of the system. I hope that you recover soon.

achilles2
aimwade, I am on day 3 after my lypo, D and C and drilled my ovaries removed numerous cyts along with endometriosis.  I did leave the house today just to go eat and regretted it due to felt dizzy.  I have been unable to have a bowel movement which has now caused me to start getting a bulging hemroid.  So I am in the same boat as you hope you have a speedy recovery.  
I had laparoscopic appendectomy on May 4th and all seemed ok until May 8th, when I started to feel sharp and heavy pain on my lower LEFT side (under scar) when I move.. Now I can’t walk normally (I don’t know why but it’s easier to walk only when I hardly press on that area under scar), and I absolutely die in pain when need to sneeze or laugh.. I feel like getting hurt with knife in these moments... Also i feel sharp pain in the end of urinating.. im dealing with this for a 5 days now and its absolutelly not getting better.. I want to cry, but i cant due this pain.. Im really depressed now..
Any advise?
Yes i totally am, its been 6 days today since i have had lap surgery, they took  biopsys of my ovary utereus and bladder. I was doing ok and then last night had sharp pains in my stomac and right side. Frustrated and dont want to look like a whimp to anyone ya know. Anyway i feel your pain.
I too was wondering if this is normal.  I'm 7 weeks post-op and very discouraged about sharp twinges of pain on each side of my navel and even lower.  The pain will linger for a while and then return a few days later.  I still don't exercise, I am trying to take into account that my surgeon had to scrape my uterus off my abdominal wall, so maybe that's why it's taking me so long to heal?  Are you still having pain?
Hi.  I am 7 weeks post op and was wondering how normal the twinges and soreness in the ab muscles are.  I am trying to take into account that the surgeon had to scrape my uterus off the abdominal wall.  It was embedded in one place that caused a bulge on the outside of the abdomen.  It's miserable sitting around, especially on days when there is little pain. But I know as soon as I lift 5 pounds, I can count on being in bed the next day on painkillers.  My pain is also on both sides of the navel and lower abdomen, but seems to move to different areas.  Also getting muscle spasms at times.  Are you feeling any better now?
I Just had Sergery (surgery) and I'm 17, I'm able to walk around since the day I got out of the hospital. It says not to have intercourse but I did the next day. I got my right ovary and philopian tube removed, my right arterie tied,(my cyst of 8.7 cm torn it), and my left ovarian cyst all removed. I'm not the type to sit around all day. I have to move and work!! Thanks.

-MariaaLeeza.<3
I had my first laparoscopy done on the 6/6/12. It was meant to be two weeks prior but was cancelled until then which wasn’t a bad thing as my gyno was able to do it himself. I had to be at the hospitals day surgery at 11am for check in, I knew the surgery was going to be around 1pm as that is the time they offered my gyno so I was surprised when I was put in a bed straight away. I laid around getting a little nervous until around 12:30 I was taken around to get the last minute questions before going into the anaesthesia bay. My gyno came in and told me if he found endometriosis he would be closing up and we would come up with a plan. So it was just exploratory as well as another d&c and hysteroscopy – I had both done 5/5/12 as well due to unstoppable bleeding since October – I have PCOS and VWD as well. I woke up a few hours later in recovery to a nurse lifting my legs to see how bad I was bleeding; I passed back out and didn’t wake up until 5pm back on the ward.
I was in agony! I was only told endometriosis was found, I would find out more at my post op appointment on the 14/6.  As my gyno had left the anaesthesiologist who was looking after me came to give me more pain killers. I had to stay until I was able to go to the bathroom, which they were shocked as I DIDN’T need to go AT ALL. I had three bags of fluid and still didn’t need to go. Eventually they agreed after two hours of sitting around I could go home but if I didn’t use the bathroom by midnight I had to go back. I went home, took more pain killers and went to bed, was woken up by mum to try and use the bathroom which I did just before midnight and went back to bed to sleep it off.
I woke on the Thursday in agony, extremely swollen and bruised. I got stuck in my bed! My mum ended up making me go down to their house two hours away to recover. Spent the day in bed taking endone, penadaine forte and nurofen together to try and get some relief. Friday I woke up in agony still and planned to spend the day in bed but my dog ran away so I was walking slowly down the stairs to go and help my mum look for him (in the car) when I fell down the stairs!! I screamed bloody murder. So back to bed doubling up on the pain medication until Thursday 14/6 when I went back to see my gyno for post op appointment where he said significant endometriosis was found. He rang a different hospital where he is at two days a month for theatre as it has the equipment he needs to remove the endometriosis as well as ovarian drilling. I am having it done on July 31st as well as inserting another mirena. I have to stay overnight at least, then will have to go back to my parents house so they can look after me as I cannot drive for 6 weeks my gp has warned, after the last one I have been told three weeks, not fun having no independence when you have lived out of home since you were 18 (almost 21 now).
He put me back on metformin, which I have been having major migraines on top of the pain of my abdomen. 16 days post op I am still in agony, I spend all day drugged up on pain killers in bed.  Only 39 more days of waiting around to go through it again, just want it to be over, I had to stop going to university and working as I couldn’t handle it due to the pain and bleeding.
Hey Kristine,

This sounds just like me! I had a laparoscopy for moderate endometriosis 11 days ago. After three days of bed rest I went back to work and felt great. Doctor told me I could get back to working out a week after the surgery, which I did. One week ago (5 days after surgery), I started to notice slight pain that seems to be coming from my right ovary. It would throb for a bit and then go away, so I didn't think much of it. However, every day since then it has only gotten worse and worse, and today it is almost constant pain. It varies between a dull ache to a surprising stabbing pain that takes my breath away. It definitely hurts worse if I apply any pressure to it, but it hurts even when I'm not touching it at all or doing anything to trigger it. Not sure what it is, but I have an appointment with my Obgyn next week so I'll find out what he says and post it.
Hi, glad I'm not alone. I had a lap, hysteroscopy, and appendectomy June 22. I am 52 years old and was surprised to see how young some of you are. I had fibroids/polyps and cysts removed from my uterus and ovaries. I love that I only have 4 small scars to worry about. I stayed on pain meds for the first few days. If anyone knows someone having this surgery I would strongly recommend they go on a soft diet days before the surgery and remain on it for at least a week afterwards. I took dulcolax on the second day after my surgery, one per day, will take another tonight. This helped with constipation. It will be loose, but it will at least empty the colon out and keep from giving you extra pressure on your other internal parts. I had a problem with my bladder being squished in between the swollen parts of my body, but made sure I kept drinking lots of water. It took a while to pee and was a narrow stream, but I just had to be patient letting it empty itself out. The pain pills were awesome, but I tapered off of them on the third day, seeing my limit, it was 7 hours and the next day 10 hours. I take one at bedtime if I need it now ((5 days later) and I use ibuprofen to keep swelling down. I am having lots of pressure under my rib cage today and a sharp pain on my right back side, my neck is a bit sore on the right too. I never did have the bad shoulder pain. I walked around the house the second day after surgery. I had surgery Friday and on Wed I went to do a cleaning job. I took my time and was careful. I was tired when I was done, but expected that. I think eating yogurt (getting that bacteria back in my stomach), jello, mashed potatoes, oatmeal, and pudding helped move the gas along because it moved through my colon and pushed the gas out. I won't be touching my durabond bandages until they come off by themselves of I go to post op. I had a great doctor--patient and careful. Just hope this solves my initial problems. Speedy recovery and don't forget to eat light! and those pain meds add to your gas pains.
I had lap surgery one month ago to have my left ovary with cysts removed,Dr. couldn't do it that way as i had too much scar tissue from previous surgeries,he had to do a laparodomy to complete the surgery ,i'm still in quite a bit of pain where they went in with the trocar (camera) on opposite side. Think it will just take time.
I had a laproscopy on 1st May 2012 and 2 and a half months later I'm still in pain. They removed it from my bladder, tubes that go from kidneys to bladder, ovaries and the muscles behind the womb. They also removed adhesions from my intestine which was stuck to my abdominal cavity wall. I reacted badly to morphine and stopped breathing in the recovery room. Nurses were all great. They only kept me in overnight and was discharged the next day. They offered 2 types of treatment afterwards - a temporary menopause for 3 months or take the combined pill back-to-back for 3 months. I choose the latter. I've put on loads of weight since the operation nearly 18lbs!! Mainly due to inactivity and being on the pill makes me so ravenous so that and the pain has made me so depressed. I only went back to work last week and only part time at the moment. I just can't get through the day without ibuprofen, paracetomol and co-codamol its ridiculous. Is anyone else is so much pain so long after the op? I feel like I'm the only one and very alone. I really want to exercise to shift the excess weight but going up 2 flights of stairs causes pain  and i'm so out of breath.
I am doing my laparoscopy tomorrow. After reading all the posts here I am a bit scared now. I only take leave up to Monday and will be back to work on Tuesday. I wonder if I could drive and work now.
Thinking of all this pain after surgery I wanted to cancel my booking. but I know I can't do it. Please good luck to me.
Has anybody had something odd after this surgery done? I had larposcopic in 5/31/12 and now having lots of pain on the same site but this time it's not a cyst but fluid outside the ovaries so frustrating no doctor can explain what going on!!!! Need help
I keep reading everyone's posts, however they are so detailed around having Lap's for everything BUT endometriosis so I'm having trouble comparing and hoping someone can help me out.

I am getting married 9/15 and my fiance and I want to try having children right away and over the past month my pain has become so severe that I have passed out on my bathroom floor and it comes anytime, even when I'm not on my period.  My fiance was scared to touch me.  

SO I called my Doctor and made him schedule a Laparoscopy.  I had it on Thursday morning and when I came out of the sleep and overheard him say Endometriosis I could NOT stop CRYING because after all these years I felt validated and like I wasn't CRAZY! I finally had an answer.  So he just "Cauterized(SP)" all of the endo he found.  To my knowledge, nothing was removed.

I don't feel like I was well prepared for the aftermath and it doesn't seem like my fiance paid the best attention to any postop directions.

It is now Saturday night and ever since the surgery I haven't had any pain around the (3) incisions or in my abs.  My only pain is in my chest and neck, it hurts to hold my head up. I also keep getting headaches.  I tried to get a shower today and my fiance had to carry me to the couch mid shower because I was overwhelmed with a burning pain in my chest and was almost begging to go to the hospital because I literally couldn't breathe.  In reading it sounds like this is a result of the gas, but I've also read this should be gone by now.  My mom and friend are very concerned for me and I'm not really sure if I should call my Doctor or just ride it out because I've never had surgery and have no idea if this is normal or not.

HELP!?!?
I had the same procedure done for the same reasons on 18th August 2012 and felt similar to you when I heard that my consultant had treated severe endometriosis.  The diagnosis gave me so many answers.

However I too was unprepared for what happens post op as I didn't really think they would find anything to treat.  I expected to be fully recovered within days!

Ialso haven't had pain directly relating to the surgery but have had relating to the gas and what I think can be referred pain in your shoulders.  Soon after the op sometimes I couldn't fill my lungs with air without it being too painful but found that strong painkillers helped.  I also had severe pain when the air has been moving round my insides I guess trying to find a way out.  The pain was so bad, unexpected and sudden that I was almost begging my husband to call for an ambulance.  This was last night and thankfully today is much better but I am going to see the consultant tomorrow and will check with him then.

I would suggest that if you are unsure to contact your doctor as it will put your mind at rest.  We weren't given many post op directions apart from that the more I rest the quicker I will recover and he signed me off work for two weeks.  He also said that I would find it difficult to work due to being so uncomfortable sitting upright because of the gas.

Hope this helps.
Hi I am new to this website but please see my comment below which I meant to address to you!
Hello. I had a golf ball sized cyst in my right ovary removed one week ago. I still get pains in all three incisions but mainly my belly button and where my ovary is. I'm able to wear jeans (unzipped) but still a bit painful. But does anyone's belly button look the same? Mines is not completely healed but it does not look like it is healing they way MY belly button looks like. It really saddens me when I look at it. Also, how long is the surgical tape supposed to be on for? I'm sure the doc told me but I was way to medicated to remember. Well I'm walking better but very slow. If I walk any faster my belly button really starts to hurt! Sorry I'm full of questions right now but everyday since my surgery I've been up and down stairs … I have no way to avoid them..can that cause damage to me right now?
I know this is late, but I had a great deal of pain for a week after my only successful laparoscopy (to remove scar tissue for endometriosis). Before that I'd had a tubal and an exploratory lap. A couple of years after the successful one, I had another, but my pain turned out not to from endometriosis. Each of those was easy to recover from.

Anyway, I think it depends on how much was done during your surgery (my "good" surgeon said all the scar tissue had glued all of my pelvic organs together. (No wonder I hurt so much.) I was also give prescription painkillers and was able to rest most of the time, and I think that improved my recovery time.

Anyway, I hope you started feeling better a long time ago!
Hi I had a lap a couple of days ago they removed a 12 cm cyst in my right ovary people keep telling me to walk and walk but when I do I feel like something's moving. Is this normal?
Hi, I had a laparoscopy 3 weeks ago and they found minor endometriosis. I have recovered as I can move normally now. However, when I sit upright (on a chair, back flat against the back rest) I get severe lower abdomen pain and now when I need to go to the loo, I have a sore lower abdomen pain.

Please let me know if any of you'll experienced this. Cause I'm hoping it goes away.

This website is really useful if you going in for a laparoscopy: http://www.totalwomanhealth.com/laparoscopy.php
I had a laproscopy 4 weeks ago to remove a 15cm ovarian cyst, along with my left ovary and tube. The cyst was adhered to my bowel, womb and bladder, it also ruptured during surgery, requiring lavage with 5 litres of saline. The cyst had 2 parts, one part endometrioma (which ruptured) and the other part dermoid which contained a lot of hair.

I hadn't had too many symptoms prior to surgery but now realise that I had accepted bloating and constipation as 'normal for me' (I'm 48). But on the morning of the surgery I had a vaginal discharge, kind of milky while / pink which smelt absolutely foul and rancid - I never had that before in my life (or since) and wonder it was a sign that the cyst was starting to rupture by itself. I didn't know that I had endometriosis nor that I have an enlarged right ovary. I had a period at the due time after surgery, a little bit heavier than normal but nothing too unusual.

I was in surgery for 4 hours and the pain afterwards was excruciating. I was on morphine, paracetemol and nsaids all at the same time and still it was so painful to move my ribcage to take even tiny breaths that they had to put me on oxygen. I couldn't sleep, read, do anything it was sooooo painful. The nurse said it was the gas and told me to sit up, that helped. it also got a lot worse if I had a hot drink.

I had a drain for 36 hours and a catheter for 48 hours. After 3 nights in hospital I was allowed to go home on crutches but needed constant care from my partner who had to do everything for me including bathing and dressing me. I was advised to try to be active to aid my recovery and avoid the risk of thrombosis but could only manage 2-3 hours out of bed just sitting before needing to go back to bed. I couldn't cope with visits or even phone calls for the first week.

4 weeks on and I'm still on painkillers, off work, can get out for a short walk each day but experience rib / shoulder / diaphragm pain (from the gas I think) as well as abdominal / pelvic pain / tugging sensation / stinging / aching. It's a slow recovery and has required a lot of patience and thankfulness that it hasn't been worse.

Seems like everyone has different recovery times depending on how complex the surgery but as my consultant kept telling me 'it's a big operation' and my nurse said 'listen to your body'

So I will be patient a while longer and look forward to the day when I can finally wear something with a waistband again :-)

Good luck to anyone who finds themself in a similar position, I would say give it time, don't try to do too much, catch up on your reading / movies / emails etc while you're out of action and above all be patient and try to stay positive.

Love and peace
Catherine xxx

Yesterday I had my ovaries and tubes removed as a preventive measure since I have breast cancer premenopause. I had no idea the pain of the gas and the nausea would be so great but it was utter hell. I am in good physical shape and still I couldn't keep anything down, it was hard to even get the pain meds to stay down because I would throw up every time I got up to walk. A heated water bag really helped relieve the pain in my shoulders and laying down would calm it down. I had the worse headache from caffeine withdrawal since I hadn't been able to have a cup for the past 24 hours and couldn't keep it down. The Ricola honey herb lozenges helped relieve the sore throat from tube when I was under anesthesia. Today it's been a lot better although now I'm really starting to feel the pain in my abdomen, I don't know if its gas in there or the pain from the removal and incisions. I was reading an article on one of the medical sites and was really shocked that they said you could go back to regular activity within less than two days. I can't imagine working at my desk, right now I'm laying down and my laptop is sitting on my thighs. One recommendation, do get a prescription for nausea when you come home. I tried peppermint tea but couldn't keep it down. I'm hoping that tomorrow will be a lot better than today, still feel the pain in my shoulders but at least I can eat vegetable soup, grapes and drink apple juice.
I had my lap 4 days ago for extensive endo. The nurse on the ward ran through everything with me and I was discharged 2 hours after coming round from surgey. The pain in my shoulder (due to the gas) was more painful than anything else which luckily lasted for only 2 days with the help of peppermint tea and just keeping mobile.
I did have to go back to my doctor as my one of the incisions was bleeding. I had 4 altogether and none of them were stitched, they were all left open. I had some steri strips put on them and had it all re dressed.
The bruising is just coming out now. Very painful and like most of you have said cannot walk, sit, stand for any length of time. Back is a killer but I am trying to live without the painkillers as much as I can.
As for bleeding. If I rest and don't do too much, I am not bleeding. If I do too much lifting (light) and bending then I do see fresh blood. But I am waiting for this heavy bleeding they said I would get.
I was aware, I think as most of you, that we would be back up and back to normal within a few days. How very wrong and I think that the information given to us ladies needs to be made more acurate.
I am not due for a follow consultation for 3 months but have an appointment with my doctor for a few days just to put my mind at ease.
Thank heavens for forums sites like these. Good luck to all of you
I think I am in the same boat! I had my lap for adenomyomectomy adhesiolysis and  resection of RV endometriosis five weeks ago and I still find it difficult to sit up staright or  do any sort of housework. On top all, I have been on my period for the last two weeks despite the HRT. fatigue, light headedness is part of my day. I used to work and study for 18 hrs per day and now I am a couch potato not being able to do anything. Miserable as hell!

D.
Hi everyone,
I had a laporotomy for 10 cm dermoid cyst removal 7 years ago and now I have been TTC for the last 2 years without success. DR is going to do a laparoscopic surgery in December to see if it is endometriosis. I am a massage therapist and work with the elderly.. so dressing and transfers.  I can't decide how long I will need to be off of work.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  
I had a Lappy on November 7th of 2011. I would say the worst part for me was the CO2 they use to inflate your belly. They removed a cyst from my right ovary and a cyst that had ruptured in my cul-de-sac. However, here I am over a year later and still having lower right abdominal pain .....

Please click on my name to see my profile and read my story. Any suggestions or opinions would be a great help. I am at the end of my rope here ....

Hope you all were able to find some relief. Take Care!

Thanks so much for reading,
I had a Lap done and 25% of my Fallopian tube removed due to a ectopic pregnancy 12 days ago, and I still feel the tugging pain and can't drive or be out and moving for more than a couple hours at a time. It does get better each passing day but I find that my abdomen is still swollen and still a lot of bruising.
I would like to share my experience...today is 4 weeks post op what doc said surgery was for difiticulitis turned out to be endometriosis...after first 3 days of gas pain from co2 I had 3 long weeks of sharp pain in rib cage area that would travel the to abdominal area. If I can sleep it would be sitting up with tons of pillows....now 30 days later I have shortness of breath and pain when I urinate....no infections test results all normal dr said part of post op...does this seem right???
Hi ladies, I am 8 days post op. I had laparoscopic surgery to remove endometriosis + D & C.
Pain has been pretty horrible as the hospital only gave me panadol & Nurofen for the pain. I couldn't sleep at night nor could I get comfortable. I rested as much as I could up to day 5, as I was told I would only need this time off from work. At day 7 I went to the shops to do some Xmas shopping for my workplace secret Santa and after about an hours of walking I was ready to pass out from the pain! I could barely lift my legs to walk I was in that much pain around where my ovaries are. My poor mother had to walk back to car and drive it down to the other end of the shopping centre to pick me up because I just couldn't move. Now at 8 days, still hurting , will be seeing my doctor tomorrow to make sure everything is normal. The nurse from the day surgery said I just over did it walking around. I'm glad I didnt go back to work so soon, I would have dropped like a sack of potatoes before I was finished!  
I had a lap to remove my gall bladder a couple years ago and was raring to go 4 days later. No complications, nothing!
This time tho, I'm wondering wth?!?
I am only 3 days post lap for endo. Day 1 was bad, totally out of it and slept most that day. Day 2 was better, I got up to eat and sit vertical and shuffle around a bit. Day 3 was pretty good, considering. Up and about, swept my floor and helped feed the kids and put them to bed. Even went visiting a few doors down!
But, alas, I over did it and am right this minute paying for it. My back, hips and right leg hurt and my incision sites are painful too. I also have new pain...sharp stabs thru what I imagine to be my uterus/cervix and I have vaginal discharge that I don't recognize :-/  My Lap day was pretty quick and it was difficult to get info from all the different nurses. I have to call on Monday to see if the gyno gave me a D&C as well or what. I'm not sceduled for a post op appt for 4 weeks. Something doesn't feel "right" if you know what I mean.
Good luck to all of you and I'm glad to have found you :-)
I had surgery five days ago pain is still sharp its now2013 pain the same even after all those blogs were typed good luck to all two weeks is accurate i hope im in pain wish it would go away this site have me insite all so
I had laproscopy performed for my endo 5 days ago. On the third day of recovery, I started to get lower back pain, severe enough to make me grumpy and miserable. I know your post is a few years old, but did your back pain ever ago away? I never had this bad of back pain before surgery so that is why I'm concerned. Thanks
The pain you describe is not from the 'breathing tube'. It is most likely due to the CO2 they used to inflate your abdomen during the laparascopy. After the surgery, some pockets of CO2 may get trapped in the free spaces of your abdominal cavity. (Gas rises and since CO2 is a gas, it will too.). This gas exerts pressure under the diaphragm and surrounding rib cage area. Pain in the neck and shoulders can occur; this is caused by referral pain from the gas below. Most CO2 is broken down by the body absorbed within a few days after the surgery.And after any kind of abdominal surgery the intestines become sluggish. This leads to bloating, abdominal fullness and pressure. Walking will help your intestines to return to their normal, efficient pattern. Keep in mind that if you should experience excessive rib pain, changes in breathing or difficulty taking a deep breath, chest pain or you cough up bloody mucous, this may be a sign of a very serious post op complication and you need to call your doctor immediately.
hi there I had a lap done 5 days ago read a lot of your comments they were helpful the 1 walking like a 70 year old women that's me at the mo..im anoid that the nurses in hospital didn't give me any info just threw a post op leaflet at me I haven't needed to take any painkillers but I don't know if others find this but im finding it hard standing up straight don't know if its physical or just me thinkin im gona pull myself but because of that iv now got an aching back pain its so irritating iv found myself having little cryes and aswell the stitches I have at bellybutton andnickerline have protruding stitches not sure how they are gona dissolve if its the body heat that dissolves them im back to work tomowow and still not healed I now only 5 days but im just fed up I cant do anyting my son has to put on my shoes as I cant even bend down :( :(
I had a laparoscopy and a hysteroscopy on June 13, 2013 my dr. saved my ovary but I had a severe reaction to the anesthesia and dry heaved for hours after which was excruciating to go through with fresh stitches. I was given 3 different things and finally discharged 7 hrs after my surgery was completed. The next day was awful, I was in a lot of pain and the tylenol 3 with codeine was not strong enough to take away the pain or at least knock me out. It also constipated me so I stopped taking it shortly after. First 2 nights was really hard to sleep and i had severe right shoulder pain shortness of breath and pain on my incisions. Day 3 was better and with some moving around the gas really improved. I am now on day 5, and I feel exhausted, took some aleve today and felt dizzy all morning. Shoulder pain is completely gone but my back and abdominal muscles are very sore. Also having some shooting pains on my incisions and still very bloated. I have to go into work tomorrow and hope I can last at least a few hours. I just want to say that for a non-invassive procedure this has been a painful and draining process. I think the worse part is that people expect you to be ok just a couple days later. I'm emotional and hoping to heal well but I've learned the hard way that surgery is surgery and your body goes through a lot. Good luck to all of you ladies!
I just had laparoscopic surgery a week ago and they found endometriosis on the right and left side. They cauterized it. I started to feel better but then went back to work 6 days later, at a desk job, and I have stabbing pain on my right side in the groin area that also moves to my lower abdominal/side area. My low back pain on the left side returned to. Any idea why the pain has gotten worse? I have also read that endometriosis can grow on your nerves. Has that happened to anyone and if so have you found a doctor who specializes in removing it off the nerves?
18-08-13
I had a laparoscopy on Friday, which was 2 days ago. The surgeon said that there were lots of adhesions inside me, including a bigger one where my ovary and bowell had become attached. It is really painful, especially if I sit down, bend or try to lift anything.
I would be very grateful if anyone could give me a rough complete recovery time, and also any thoughts on how this may affect my health in the future.
Many thanks for taking the time to read this, looking forward to any responses.
Kirsty xx
Hi kirstyb1985,
I just saw your post. I had a Laparoscopy done on august 19th; I had a 13cm cyst close to the right ovary. Like most women on this blog, I had difficulty walking straight (I looked like an old lady too) and I got easily fatiged. I experienced a lot of pain in my shoulders since day 1, which improved by day 5 with the pain medication my dr prescribed me. By day 6, I stopped using it. I also used topical analgesic gel (IcyHot) for my shoulders and back pain.

I notice improvement with my gas situation when I started taking Gas X and complementing my diet with Star Anis Tea (té de anís estrellado), which is good for your digestion. And last of all, for my constipation I ate Prunes. Today is day 8, and I feel pretty good. I've been experiencing pain in my right ovary these last 3 days, but I guessing it's because my period is due soon. Hope my natual remedies help others in need :)
I removed a 10 cm dermoid cyst as well as my right ovary nine days ago. I'm going back to work tomorrow.

Everything seems to have been pretty successful, no severe pain from the co2 or in cuts, just normal pain (I used painkillers the first few days and still do occasionally). The first few days it felt like someone was standing on my shoulders, but it felt more "heavy" than painful (if that makes sense). I have one cut right under my belly button, one 0,5 cm cut and one 2 cm on the right and left side of the belly button. I initially though the two scars would be lower, but due to the size of the cyst they had to make them higher up. (I'm fine with that, it doesn't really matter if the scars are visible. They tell a story;) They hurt sometimes (and sting!), I mentioned it to my doctor but she said it was all normal - she told me it's not dangerous to bend and stuff like that (I was afraid that would open the wounds for some reason, that's what it felt like it did) :) I also feel stings various places in my abdomen, that too was normal I was told.

I was scheduled to get back to work a week after surgery, but I did not feel ready at all. the first few days after surgery, I felt nauseous and dizzy after for instance taking a shower AND picking up the mail on the same day. It quickly got better, but I'm still taking it easy nine days after surgery. I get easily tired, but take short (and slow) walks every day and focus on not sitting still all day, as long as it does not give a lot of pain I think it will help to get my body back on track. But only small walks, like I said, I get dizzy and tired pretty fast.

Oh, and after surgery it felt like I had been working out my abs real hard, haha. They're still a bit sore. My stomach is still a bloating a bit, but it was easier the first couple of days. I can wear my jeans, but it is a bit painful since all my cuts are in the waistline area.

I have had some problems sleeping though. The first week or so I slept on my back since sleeping on the sides was painful. Now I'm okay sleeping on the sides, but I can't sleep on my stomach - or lie down on my stomach at all for that matter, it's too painful. It feels like there's something "under" the cuts, and it hurts when it gets pressure. I don't know how else to describe it. Has anyone else experienced that? Is it normal?

My period came four days after surgery, it was three days delayed. No pain or discomfort (other than the usual, which in my case is very little). Everything seemed pretty normal, the way it always is when I have my period.

I think my experiences are pretty much on average (even though we all react differently) with not to much pain and discomfort (but enough to had to take pain killers), and quite a bit of dizziness, nausea and fatigue.

DO NOT HAVE THIS PROCEDURE DONE!! I HAD MY SURGERY APRIL 2007 AND I HAVE HAD SEVERE PAIN SINCE JULY 20TH 2007 WHEN THE BEGINNING OF MY PERIODS START.  THEY REMOVED MY LEFT OVARY THINKING THIS WAS THE REASON FOR THE PAIN, NOT THE CASE!

THE PAIN IS LIKE LABOR PAINS, IT IS ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. IF THIS MESSAGE SAVES ONE WOMAN OUT OF 100 FROM HAVING TO GO THROUGH WHAT I'VE BEEN DEALING WITH ALL OF THESE YEARS, THEN I'VE HELPED SOMEONE!

ONE DOCTOR TOLD ME THE REASON FOR THIS IS, IS NERVE DAMAGE. HE SAID THERE IS NOT ENOUGH KNOWN ABOUT THE LONG TERM AFFECTS OF THE OUTCOME DOWN THE ROAD WHEN USING LASERS IN SUCH A SENSITIVE AREA OF A WOMAN'S BODY!

THOUGH IT MAY NOT AFFECT EVERYONE THE WAY IT HAS ME, IT TRULY IS NOT WORTH THE RISK!!! HAVE THEM TIED, NOT LASERED. SIX YEARS OF SUFFERING, I WOULDN'T WISH IT ON ANYONE!!
If you can avoid this surgery I suggest you do. I had laparoscopic done in 2012, then in the beginning of October I was hospitalized for a twisted colon. The surgeon would not relate this to my hysterectomy, when asked how this happens he responded, "An act of God." After doing research, many women that have a twisted colon previously had a hysterectomy. Now as a result of the surgery from having a twisted colon, I cannot walk a distance without having major pain in my left leg. The surgeon tells me that the surgery has nothing to do with my leg pain. He says the abdomen is up here and your legs are down there, I went nowhere near you legs. I had to do my own research and found that I may have damage to my ilio-inguial nerves caused during surgery. I have an appointment Friday with a neurologist. I wouldn't be so upset if the surgeon would just tell the truth that it is a possibility I have nerve damage.
I had lap for minor endo 8 days ago and feel that same pain when sitting. It is almost an internal pinching. But hurts badly. Did your pain go away or do you know what caused it?
Thank you.
I had the surgery october 3rd and I´m in good shape now. I was home from work for 9-10 days. I was totally out for 3 days and needed strong painkillers for over a week.
Im still little bloated but everything getting normal. The only thing I that troubles me is pain after going to the toilet and pain in the pelvic area after a long working day, thats it :)
I am 2 days post op. After the operation I couldn't get about of bed for the sharp burning piercing pain in my belly button so they pumped full of drugs so I could get out of bed to go home and now I am In a world of pain, my belly button feels like it's being ripped out when I move and I have shoulder pain and when I move the air moves around and gets under my right lung and I can't breath in and feel like my lung is collapsing, worst pain ever! I had a Laporoscopy, hystoroscopy, D&C and DYE they found endo and removed it. It literally feels like they had a baseball game in there! I think I might be bed ridden for at least a week with the amount of pain I'm in. So basically everyone is different and it could take 2-21 days to recover :(
I had pain for up to 3 months after my laproscopy.  Nothing really bad but just the occasional sharp pain.  It has gone now and I am back to normal- but please ladies - when they say you will back to work in days it's nonsense.  I was out of action for 2 weeks and it took me several weeks to get my energy back.  Don't expect to much too soon.  It takes time!
I had lap surgery last week & still I have a very bad pain in my side. It goes all the way around into my lower back. It is my right side constant... but a few times I've felt it on my right. Has anyone else experienced this?
I just under went a
OVARIAN CYSTECTOMY/laparoscopy due to a dermoid cyst inside my left ovary (softball size)Exactly 10 days ago... I'm 26, day 2 after surgery recovering at home I felt a uncomfortable pressure on my left side lower abdominal region, feels like its coming from behind my rib cage area. I developed a fever 4 days ago, in which I saw my doctor, she said not to worry, the discomfort could be muscle related? My temp. Was 100.3, she prescribed antibiotics just incase. I've been taking them, fever broke yesterday, Body feels fine, but still have this pressure discomfort on my left side from my belly button, does not want to go away at all. Very uncomfortable. Even pain meds cannot take the discomfort away....could this be more then muscle related?? Maybe enlarge Spleen? Is this also possible? I'm unsure. Any help, thank you.
Viewing 201-210 comments: