Endometriosis Community
Paragard IUD and Endometriosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

Paragard IUD and Endometriosis

I am 24 years old and just recently had surgery to remove a endometrioma/cyst and was then diagnosed with endo. I had a Paragard IUD inserted about 2 and a half years ago because it was non-hormonal and would last for 12 years. The IUD definitely increased my menstrual cramps (TERRIBLE cramps), and about a year or so into having the IUD I started getting symptoms that I now know were caused by the endometriosis. I am going to get the IUD removed now because I don't want anything causing irritation in my uterus, but has anyone had this problem. I never had bad periods until the IUD. I know "they" don't know what causes endometriosis but it wasn't until I had the IUD, which works by causing inflammation and irritation of the endometrial tissue, that I had problems. Any thoughts? Thanks!
I had the Mirena IUD put in last May and thought it was wonderful because I have not had a period since. Now I have been in excruciating pain for about a week. The pelvic ultrasound was negative and my OBGYN thinks I have endometriosis. My surgery is in about 2 weeks.  I seem to have all the symptoms.  I think the IUD has something to do with it.  It is interesting to read of so many people with the same issues with IUD's.  
I have also had a paragard IUD placed, and have had it for almost 2 years. I had extreme periods for the first year, both flow and pain intensity. The flow seems to have tempered, (although not to where I was before the IUD) but the pain is still pretty intense. In the last 6-8 months I have noticed other symptoms which I have yet to see a doctor for but I am concerned it is similar to symptoms of endometriois, including a 4 month bout with what I thought was a UTI but no doctor could find an infection, nor did the antibiotics or 'pain relief' help. I've developed Raynauds. I now have cramping all through the month, rather than just around my scheduled menstrual cycle and occasionally spot. I have other symptoms that coincide with endometriosis that all developed after I had it placed. I am seeing a doctor next week with my laundry list of symptoms and my ideas of the connection to my IUD. I'll let you know the outcome.
I had the same problems that you are talking about when it comes to symptoms getting worse after the insertion of the IUD. I had my IUD inserted and a couple of months later, my symptoms (cramping all the time, excrutiating pain, bowel issues, etc.) seemed to appear out of nowhere. I have since had a laparoscopy and they did find endometriosis, scar tissue, and adhesions. My doctor informed me that the hormones in the Mirena IUD are not enough to mask the symptoms of endometriosis like regular birth control pills are. While I was blaming the IUD, it was actually just the fact that I was not on the right kind of birth control to treat the symptoms. My doctor is now wanting to remove the IUD and use a different hormonal birth control.
At what point do the symptoms from an IUD no longer become normal and warrant removal of the IUD?  I can handle the heavier periods but the pain is excruciating.  I've had my paraguard IUD for 3 months.  For those with severe cramping like me, did the pain ever subside?  if so how long did that take?  I too am starting to be concerned about endometriosis.  HELP!
I had a problem free pregnancy at age 24 (pregnant immediately, suggesting no 'endo').   No problems with cramping at periods.   I got an IUD (copper) around age 32 and have had nothing but problems since then.   I had the horribly long periods with awful cramps.   I finally had it removed after about 3 years.   My periods were less but still heavier than before and more cramping than before.
I recently had trouble becoming pregnant (age 38).   I had a laporoscopic surgery and the doctor found extensive endometriosis.
Coincidence?   No family history of endometriosis... (nor anyone in my family that has ever had any trouble getting pregnant) so I don't know.
I am seriously considering a lawsuit. It's crazy how much pain and suffering this has caused me. I am glad to see we are all not alone. I am sure there are more possible women out there that are now suffering from this and haven't connected it yet. I promise I will try to prove this one way or another. Anyone in here interested please email me @ ***@****
It is so unfortunate that this disease is so debilitating for women and that so many women suffer from this disease and there is so little they know about it.

I have dealt with Endometriosis since my second period at 13 only to be diagnosed 14 yrs later. The damage had been done and I have done so much research on this disease and I am an advocate.

I will tell you guys something if a doctor tells you that they are giving you these meds, IUD's etc to suppress the Endo that is a huge misconception because Endo can not be suppressed and the only way to find any kind of relief is to find a surgeon who knows how to excise the disease completely leaving nothing behind.

HRT's and IUD are said to help but they don't. The only good if you are suppressing your period, so no period no pain. However it doesn't work for everyone.

I actually wrote a letter the Canadian Health Ministry about the lack of surgeons and this disease. We will see what happens
I believe a lot of us never even had this disease until after Implantation  of this IUD. The Mirena already has cases relating to Endo. I never had to battle with this disease and I am still not convinced completely I  have it since I haven't had a Laparoscopy done yet but they have found tissue implanted by my Rectus Muscle and now they say I may have multiples.  
hmmm Interesting. Its funny because they try to push the mirena for Stage IV Endo. I would never have that put in, just because I just dont like the fact that something is inside me
I did want to to say I did my research and I do believe in Dr.Redwines response to me as he has researched this disease and operated on over 3000 women with Endometriosis that have used IUD's and who have not.

It is possible that you had Endo but didn't realize it as many women do no matter what stage. Everyone has different symptoms with this this disease or without.

I am posting this because I feel his knowledge of this disease is one of the best in the world.

My Question to Dr. Redwine today

I have heard so many people say that the Mirena IUD or previous surgeries caused Endometriosis. I don't understand how that is possible if there really is no definitive answer as to why some women get Endo and some don't
Like ·

David Redwine's answer today.

Neither the IUD nor surgery causes endometriosis. Just more empty talk

I had my son in 2006 and three days later, had the ParaGard inserted.  I was 28 then and had always had a normal period.  Started on time every month.  Two previous children with no issues.  After I got the Para IUD, downhill I went.  Immediately after having my other two children, my period went back to normal.  After the Para, I was heavier, irregular and more.  I literally thought, due to multiple symptoms I kept experiencing, I had copper toxicity.  I had it removed, and that was 4 years later.  Well, my health is going crazy.  

I went for my routine check and was told it was the worst she had ever seen.  I know a little of endometriosis, but not extensive knowledge.  I am afraid to look information up or ask.  

Now mind you, I suffer from 3 rare, extremely rare, diseases now.  All my symptoms started at the same time.  Which, as i said, led me to think copper toxicity.  Complete exhaustion, extreme weight gain with no change in diet or exercise, pain all over and more.  I have read enough to make me think there is a definitive link to the Para IUD and Endo.    What is really weird is that prior to this, my health was perfect.  Never got sick.  Always energetic.  Life was good.  Now, i have tumors all over.  Brain disease, lung disease, goiter with nodules, eye issues due to brain disease and more.  It seems one hit after another and I swear by gut feeling, time symptoms started and more.. it goes back to this ParaGard IUD.  I will put my life on that line, that is how sure I am there is a link.  My life is now hell.  I have three children, the youngest now 6 and fight for my life, so i can see them grow up.  Even more, none of the diseases I have can be treated.  No cures and anything medicinally, I react too.  Chemical sensitivities.  I have had every autoimmune test ran, been to Shands in Gainesville, FL and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL.  Nothing.  Blood is fine.  No autoimmune diseases.  Just my body going crazy for three years with NO known cause and NO answers.  Something is up, Para.  Own up to it!!!
It could have been a coincidence  as some people have no idea that thy have Endo as they are asympomatic until something happens like a cyst or a surgery for something else and it he's diagnosed by fluke. It's possible the iud cause a lot of the problems but I do not think it caused endometriosis I have done lots of research and I too have co morbid disease but dr Redwine is the a very influential doctor go has studied this disease for over 30 yrs so I am going to have to say I agree with him because he knows what he is talking about. I know people don't want to believe it and want to sue the company claiming it caused endometriosis but that case won't go far in my opinion.

I had the Mirena for 2years. I started having severe pelvic pain went to my doc she said pid. Then had the pain so bad one night I went to the Er and the er doctor removed my iud said pid. I went to the doc I currently have and she suspected endometriosis. I started treatments nothing worked. She went in and did a laparoscopic surgery confirmed endometriosis and also found interstitial cystitis. I then went through bladder installments,Lupron depot shots and Elmiron nothing seemed to help. So this Monday we are having a full robotic laparoscopic hysterectomy and I sure hope this ends it all! These past three to 4 years have been hell! I am 100% positive that the iud had to play a hand in this! I was perfectly normal before I got that thing after my son was born. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Did u have a c-section?