Endometriosis Community
Recovery Time for Laparoscopy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

Recovery Time for Laparoscopy

I was diagnosed with Endometriosis when I was 19.  I am 34 now and going back for my 2nd laparoscopy.
I am not sure if I am going to have anyone here the day after my surgery, do you think I will need it?  
I remember not being able to lift my head up by myself to drink water after my surgery.  I also remember needing help going to the bathroom and not being able to sit down and get up off the toilet by myself for a few days.  Has this happened to anyone else?  I don't see anyone mentioning needing help getting up to go the the bathroom.  I wonder if I was just 19 and over dramatic?  I had a cyst the size of a grapefruit on my ovary, maybe that gave a more restricted recovery?
My husband will take care of me the day of and will be home by 4:00 the day after.  I would hate to have to bother someone with being at my house if its not necessary.  
Also, I am a bartender and am trying to figure out how much time to take off of work.  Any ideas how long I should take?  I was thinking a week.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Okay so my first surgery in 2007 I had extensive deep infiltrating Endo removal and surgery was longer than normal. I also had stage IV and it was everywhere, everything was wrapped around my uterus as well as adhesions from my bowel surgery when I was 7 yrs old.

I remember the pain being so unreal and not being able to really move or do anything for a week. The next week seemed to get better and I went back to my job (sitting job no lifting) on the 3rd week.

I just had my second surgery in Feb and after the surgery I felt fine, almost like I was expecting the worst and it was actually okay. I went back to work a week later but still didnt lift anything for about 3 weeks.

I think it really depends on what they do. This time around it was really adhesions, superficial endo as well all over my bowels and bladder. She however did not detach my ovary from the pelvic wall and ureter because she wasn't experienced enough so that might also be why the pain wasn't as bad. I was really shocked.

So I am not sure if there is an answer that can be given because it will really depend on what they find and what they do. I would say probably no more than 2 weeks max if the surgery isnt extensive.

I was fine at home alone. My husband just happened to be home that week but I didn't need him, in fact he was annoying me and I just wanted to sleep it off.

I hope that helps.

Remember a pillow for the ride home, mints for the after the surgery to get rid of the anesthetic taste and feeling in your mouth. Prepare foods that you can heat up quickly or put in the oven, get lots of movies and magazines and just sit back and relax :)  

Had my laparoscopy in 2006. As an outpatient procedure, the ride back was very uncomfortable and the first day was a bit bad with pelvic pain, gas and nausea. Normal bowel movement took another couple of days. By end of week 1, i was all good to go.

Ensure you get medication for bowel movement and pain (if needed).