Endometriosis Community
Sciatic Endometriosis??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

Sciatic Endometriosis??

I've been having severe pain in my right leg for the past few years, but only when I have my period, usually the first two days or so. By severe, I mean it hurts to walk on that leg, I feel dizzy and faint, I get extremely hot or cold sometimes, and all the while my right legs in pain. Imagine a tooth ache but all in your leg. I also get pins and needles on my right foot.
I've gone and had a couple of pap smears and a pelvic exam, but my doctor doesn't tell me anything, or if they do, they don't really believe me. My doctor gives me tons of ibuprofun(800 mg) and thinks that will make it go away but it doesn't. I've been on Yasmin for almost a year to get rid of periods to not have to deal with the pain, and its alright until I forget to take it and my period starts, then the pain comes back. I don't know what to do, my doctor doesn't want to do anything but give me more pills, and I think its something serious.

Does anyone think I might have Sciatic Endometriosis, and if so, what should I do?
I had the same symptoms for years, and dealt with it until I started having extremely irregular periods. Long story short I have stage IV endometriosis, had a hysterectomy. I didn't know I had endo before the hysterectomy, I had it because I had severe adhesion and ovarian mass, and basically frozen pelvis. I kept one ovary so I still have cycles, and 6 months later I am still in severe pain at that time every month. My leg hurts so bad I can't walk, and nothing really helps. I take 800mg Motrin and it doesn't do much at all. I'm now going to start physical therapy for the pain, and have an upcoming appointment with an endo specialist. If they haven't already your doctor should due an ultrasound to see if you have any masses on your ovaries. The only way they can tell if you have endometriosis is if you have a laparoscopy. Although My doctor didn't see it at the time of my laparoscopy, because it was after my period and the implants had shed so they were hard to see, and I had stage IV, it was everywhere he said. If you're taking birth control to suppress your periods, it will be hard to know if they have become irregular. I'm not a doctor so I can't really give you advice, all I can do is tell you my story. If I were you though, I would tell your doctor how much pain you're in and that you think you might have endo, and if they don't take you seriously, find another doctor who does.
It hasn't been unheard of for endometriosis to implant on the sciatic nerve-one doctor told me it can implant as high as the lungs and the brain.

Endometriosis can only be officially diagnosed by laparoscopy but a CT scan or MRI could show inflammation.  Endo can be very inflammatory to the organs and tissues of the body.

If you feel like you are not getting anywhere with your doctor, see another one for a second or third opinion:  you deserve some answers and you deserve someone that will listen to your concerns.
i use to get sciatic nerve pain occasionally, it lasted about 3 days each cycle. burning pain down my right leg. it was from my endometriosis. i had endo in my pelvic area so when my endo got inflammed it would irritate my sciatic nerve. i would talk to an endo specialist if it affects your every day living. get a lap done by a good endo specialist. do you have any other signs of endo?
i also had endo on my uterosacral ligament which can also cause the nerves to get inflammed