Endometriosis Community
Transvaginal Ultrasound and Bleeding After

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

Hi all,

I had my yearly transvaginal ultrasound on Tuesday (to check on cysts and anything else endo can cause) and starting the next day I starting cramping and spotting. Now three days later its more of a period with clots.

A little history:
I have been taking BCP since Jan. 2013 non-stop, no periods. I'm still taking them on time and no missed pills. So, I'm uncertain about what appears to be a period... while I'm still taking the pill.

I've been on the same BCP for 3 years. Last July 2012, my gyn decided I should take it continuously without stop. At the end of Oct. 2012, I had something similar, I had a full period for a week while still taking the pill (no ultrasound). So I stopped the pill and had  another week of period. When I went back on the pill, the bleeding stopped.

So now its happening again but I think it has something to do with the ultrasound. I don't get spotting or bleeding after sex.

Need your advice or if you've been through something similar... please help.
When you take the bcp continuously after 3 months you will get a break through bleed. This is what you are getting and since its only been since jan continuously your body is still regulating.

Is that what you mean?
Is breakthrough bleed as heavy as a regular period or more like spotting? Because what I have is pretty much a period right now, but I'm still taking my BCP at the same time daily.

How long could breakthrough bleed last??

It also started the day after my transvaginal ultrasound, so I'm wondering if it had anything to do with that?
Well first it starts out as spotting. Once that happens you stop taking the pill completely for about 3-4 days and bleed which could be like a real period but not as heavy as it had been before. After 4 days go back on it and it will stop.

I never let a bleed go longer than 4 days that was just me though.

It could have, its like having a colposcopy when they scrape your cervix. You bleed after some people for a couple of days. It messed with your uterus and what not when it was inside so it is possible.

How is the bleeding now?
Still bleeding and its been almost two weeks (tomorrow) since the ultrasound.

I called my gyn last week and the secretary passed a msg back and forth. I was told to wait another week, and to call back in a week if I'm still bleeding or if at some point during the week it gets heavier. She told me specifically not to get off the pill.

It hasn't gotten heavier or lighter.... just enough to be more than spotting and a little less than 'moderate'. Having cramping on and off daily. :(

That would be frustrating for sure.

Hopefully it will slowly stop. As annoying as it is try not to worry about it unless it gets really heavy.