Endometriosis Community
What to expect after D&C and ablation?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

What to expect after D&C and ablation?

I don't know what to expect after my D&C and endometrial ablation. Anyone know? I'm not sure when. They will call tomorrow or Mon. with the dates for me. I'm just curious as to what to expect. I know that a lot of it depends on exactly what all they do, but I have no idea what to expect.
Hi Karen,
I just had my first D&C on July 10th. I was so nervous but I have to say it really was not as bad as I thought it would be. The actual surgery was the easiest part. I was really nervous and somewhat teary before so I spoke with the anistisiologist ( sorry can't spell) and they gave me something to calm me down. As soon as I had that in my system I felt relaxed and then the next thing I remember is waking up post up. The pain management these days is excellent and they immediatly ask you to rate your pain and then start treating you. The hardest part of the recovery for me is that they pump gas into your abdomen so they can see everything and for about three days after the gas rises to your shoulders and that is really painful. Also it took about five days for my intestines to function normally again because the gas is also stuck in there. I took oxycodone for the first couple of days but try not to take too much of that if you can because it ended up making me sic to my stomach. The best thing was to walk around and to have someone there to rub your shoulders. Best of luck keep me posted!
melissa
Thank you so much. I just wanted to hear from someone about their experiences. Going in blind is a hard thing to do. You have helped me so much!!! My worry is that I need to be able to return to work before Aug. 5 (I teach 4th grade and really can't miss the beginning of the year or registration day) I should get a call today or Mon. with the date for the surgery. Thanks again and I hope you are doing well.
Karen
I am glad to be of some help. I think a full  recovery takes about 3 weeks but that doesn't mean you could not return to work before that but you will need to take it easy. I am feeling pretty much normal now and it has only been a week but you should ask your doctor and if need be couldn't they get a sub for the first week? I know it is not ideal but your health really should come first right? I wish you the best of luck and you will be fine it's not as bad as I thought but make sure you have someone there to help you for the first three days.
good luck
melissa
I had my d & c procedure last fri. at sat no period ,but on sunday night  i got blood again, Is this my real period for the month?  im scared.