Endometriosis Community
endo returning or pelvic floor disfunction?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to endometriosis, fertility/infertility, hormonal treatments, pain management, pregnancy, and surgery.

I went back to my doctor yesterday because of having an episode of severe pain recently that has been reoccuring ever since.  I am getting pain like I used to before my lap. and I am urinating pretty frequently again too, which she was concerned about.  Before assuming right away that it is endo coming back, and doing another surgery without considering anything else, she wants to consider a few other possibilites.  She tested my urine for any possible infection, and she wants me to be treated for pelvic floor disfunction.  When she did my pelvic exam ( which was SOOOO painful for me, as it used to always be) she said that the muscles in there were very tender and that either a bladder issue or possibly a result of endo in the past or returning endo could be causing me to have muscle spasms in those muscles.  So, she's sending me to a very prestigious specialist for pelvic floor and bladder disorders to try some sort of therapy.

Has anyone else had anything like this before? It's weird to me because it feels just like the pain used to feel before, which to me, would make me think it could be endo coming back.  But I just don't know... I'm frustrated, I don't want a long delay in re-fixing endo if that is the cause, but I don't want to put myself through surgery again and find out that it was something that could have been treated without it... I just want to get on with my life and feel normal again :(
It could be both. If you have a good therapist it should help. Even if you end up needing another lap the therapy can be very helpful.
That's a good point.  The therapist I will be seeing is supposed to be really good, so hopefully it helps!
thank you for letting us know what the doctor says. But it doesn't sound like you are really happy with the answer that you got. Have you researched Pelvic Floor Dysfunction? Does that sound like something that you feel that you could be suffering from? If you don't feel like you are getting the answers you deserve you can always go elsewhere for a second opinion. How do they treat this? Has the pain gotten any better at all???
Yeah, at first I wasn't really happy with the answer that I was given because I was just so worried about endo coming back that I was afraid that this idea was just putting off fixing it.  But I did some research on the doctor I will be seeing for the therapy, as well as some research on pelvic floor dysfunction in relation to endo. and I have a much better understanding now.  I am actually really looking forward to the therapy, as it seems like it could really help alleviate the pain!
All that really matters is that you are happy with the end results! Let us know how it all turns out!
I went to a urologist/sexual health specialist yesterday. my pelvic floor dysfunction was confirmed and they did some tests.  Apparently the treatment for it is internal massage with a specialised PT, muscle relaxants, and a medication to help me not urinate so frequently.  Apparently pelvic floor dysfunction is very common for women with endo.  I feel so much better about everything now, my doctor was great, and is also very familiar with the specialist I usually see for my endo, etc.  So... If anyone out there with endo is still having pain that just won't go away, then you should totally ask your doctor about PFD :)