43 years on Dilantin
I've been taking Dilantin for sleep seizures for 43 years.  No problems before, but recently I'm having trouble making any decisions and I'm getting scatter-brained.  What are the long-term effects of Dilantin?
Well if it is a sudden change check your neurologist before thinking it's your meds...but gosh! For 43 year you think someone would have posted something on Wikipedia LOL
I suggest you go see you doctor and explain what you are experiencing, it could be to do with your medication, or an under lying issue you are not aware of. I have had to had my medication changed lately for my depression as I started having strange side effects, best to get medical advise.
Definitely make an appt with your neuro! You don't mention how long it's been since you last saw the neuro.

I was on Dilantin for 32 yrs.I actually had not seen a neuro for some yrs;my MD prescribed it along with other meds.But then when I started seeing a neuro for a different issue,he noticed the length of time I'd been on Dilantin.He talked to me about changing meds.He let me know it wouldn't be easy.And he told me that Dilantin is a drug that 'finds it's way' into the organs,bones and teeth,through the blood(which is why leukemia can become a risk;why you're supposed to have CBC every 6 monthes).My teeth & gums were actually ruined as a result.

Anyway,I did agree to change meds.It was gradual.You never 'just stop taking' a med! You taper off with the Dilantin while adding the new med.I did have withdrawal symptoms.But how each person handles it,no doubt has alot to do with the person and their circumstances.So,don't be disheartened! It would be the best decision you make!