ARE BLACKOUTS TREATED FOR EPILEPSY
My son had blackout on 15th sept 2010 at 7.30 am while getting ready for school.His ECG was normal,EEG slightly abnormal and MRI normal when tested on the same day.The doctor prescribed tablets for epilepsy.He had no other symptoms.We did not start him on tabs.Now after nine months again on 8th june 2011 at the same time in the morning he blacked out while getting ready on the carpet.Both the events were the same and at the same time,no other symptoms except for a headache, which went after he had a cup of milk and biscuits.This time again his EEG showed the same mild abnormality.Doctor prescribed tabs for 3yrs.We still don't feel it is Epilepsy and have not started the medications.He is 11yrs old, will be 12 in sept. His height is 4' and wt.31 kgs.Please suggest what to do?
Thank u.
I'm no expert or anything, but I've heard of people who already have epilepsy becoming prone to seizures from food allergies.  Definitely follow the more expert advice, but it won't hurt to check for food allergies.  A lot of people are allergic to wheat or gluten and a lot of people are allergic to milk.  If it's not a "true" allergy, it can still be food sensitivities.  Google information for food sensitivities and for food elimination/food challenge diets.

Actually, this makes sense to me because people with migraines have many of the same symptoms as people with epilepsy, minus the outward seizures.  And, food sensitivities do definitely trigger migraines in people.
How is your son? One type of seizure disorder, absence seizures, are characterized by a brief impairment of consciousness that lasts for a few seconds.This is more common in children than in adults and often with an abrupt onset and prompt recovery. If the EEG results were both abnormal, it is best that he take the medication as prescribed. Absence seizures usually can be controlled with anti-seizure medications. It is best that you discuss this with his doctor  to ease any doubts. Children with a history of absence seizure must be supervised carefully especially in activities such as swimming or bathing because of the danger of drowning. Take care and do keep us posted.