Absence or focal seizures in toddler?
It's come to our attention through Early Intervention that our daughter may be experiencing a type of seizure, I think she called them absence or focal seizures?

I honestly can't remember if we saw these or not before, but the first time we remember noticing it was around November, when she was 29 months. We thought at the time she was just tuning us out, she was completely unresponsive, just starting at a toy in her hand, it lasted a few minutes, and then she snapped out of it. Since then we've seen several more, though much shorter, sometimes I've seen a few in one day, sometimes I go a week or so without noticing any - but I need to watch better, too, since they're so short. Who's to say she's hasn't had one while she's watching tv or playing in the other room?  

Basically she can be walking along or playing and suddenly just stops what she's doing and stares blankly, sometimes it's probably only 5 or 6 seconds, sometimes it might last longer, 10 seconds maybe? Less than a minute for sure. I haven't been able to catch one on video yet.

It's only been recently it was brought to my attention that they could be seizures, and we were told to try touching her to see the response. But of course also, by the time I catch her doing it, and get over to her, she's nearing the end of it anyways. Sometimes when it happens, if I touch her she'll blink. Just like a slow blink, once, no other movements, no eye rolling, no twitching anywhere else. And then maybe 1-2 seconds later (after I touch her), she snaps out of it and carries on with what she was doing.

Do these sound like seizures? What type? Why would they suddenly develop? She does have a history of heart disease (she spent the first six months of her life in heart failure, failure to thrive, on a feeding tube, on several medications etc..., but thankfully didn't end up having her open heart surgery), but otherwise, aside from wonky circulation, she's healthy.

Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Children staring at things or trying to understand them is a normal phenomenon. It could just indicate that they are showing an interest in their surroundings. It could also be seizure activity, only an EEG (electroencephalogram) can help confirm this. This is done under the guidance of a neurologist. If it persists consult your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.