Epilepsy Community
Benzodiazepines used to treat seizures?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Benzodiazepines used to treat seizures?

I have a question. Are drugs in the benzo family ever used to treat seizures? As in Xanax, Klonopin, Valium, Ativan, Restoril, etc?

I have simple partial seizures and was on xanax on an "as needed" basis to control some nervousness about going back to college. I was on it for about 2 months. I started realizing I got less of my sensory and motor seizures which have always been uncontrollable since I started getting them back in 2000. I'm on Tegretol and Lamictal at the moment and they only control my bigger seizures just not the little ones (sensory and motor). I told my doctor about it and she said it sounds like I was just having panic attacks!! BS! I didn't know lethargy and wanting to sleep was part of a panic attack (sorry, that's a bit of sarcasm). She basically said I was drug seeking and called my psychiatrist I was seeing to tell her that when I was only trying to tell her that type of drug controlled it.

Liz
Don't worry, love. I've been through called the same thing. A "drug seeker". I had surgery, and six weeks later I was still having pain. Everyone thought I just wanted the pain meds. NOT TRUE! I really hurt. Then I was put in the hospital for 4 days because I had an infection from the surgery. <--different situation, but sort of the same.

I am taking teg, dilantin and depakote to control two types of seizures. I never sleep accept during the day, on and off.
Hang in there! I believe you!
Denise
drug of benzo family can be used to control seizures, especially  Klonopin. and Klonopin can be used for any type of epilepsia, and it is safe to take Klonopin when you have to stop taking some antiepilepisa drugs for some reason. but I don't recommend you eat more than 3 types of antiepilepsia drug, because the interaction between these drug reduce their effects.
My doctor told me no good neurologist would ever prescibe a bezodiazipine for epilesy.
The only time they are used is in an emergency to control one seizure after another.  They control seizures but at a price.  The dosage will have to be steadily increase and you can develop withdrawal symtoms (symptoms) even while you are taking them.