Epilepsy Community
Breath Holding Spells? Not Epilepsy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Breath Holding Spells? Not Epilepsy?

We took Audrey, our almost 2 year old,  to her neurologist appointment, and I gave her a brief description of what happened (I'm afraid I was nervous and I don't think I had all the details :*( ), and right after her physical exam of Audrey, she said Audrey is having breath holding spells, not epilepsy.  

I said, "I know you're the expert, and I respect your diagnosis, but I have to say that what I saw did not look like breath holding spells, and that she for sure was not holding her breath the second time.  She told me that children don't have to hold their breath to have breath holding spells.  She didn't explain it any further, but she went on to say that the only thing we can do is give her iron supplements if she's anemic, and do an EKG incase she has an abnormal heart rythmn.  I asked about an EEG just to be sure about things, and she said that even if the EEG was abnormal she would not change her diagnosis or treatment plan, and that if she had any more episodes just lay her down and not worry.

HERE'S A LINK TO AUDREY'S STORY:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/614299?personal_page_id=151503&post_id=post_3349310

So now I am at a loss on what to do.  Her primary doctor said epilpesy, she said the breath holding spells, and the research I've done on the matter does not confirm one or the other.  I know I'm not 100% comfortable with the breath holding spell diagnosis, but I'm not the expert.  

With what I've read, the Pallid Breath Holding Spells sounds similary, but has some differences.  Like, She didn't go limp and then seize...she seized right away.  Her coloring didnt' change until after the seizure.  

My feeling is that I'm being brushed off because the seizures were mild...but then part of me really wants to believe the doctor...after all, she is the expert.  

I come to you pleading to know your opinion.  What should I do?  Has anyone ever had the same problem?  

I guess I just want to make sure we have the right diagnosis.  With my first daughter, it took 9 months and several hospitalizations for us to finally get an answer on what was wrong with her....Turner Syndrome...I KNEW something was wrong, and I truly was just being brushed off by seveal doctors until someone HAD to take it seriously because she was on the verge of death.  Perhaps that is clouding my view of the sitation though.  I don't know.

So that is why I am in desparate need of some advice, and I welcome any input.  

mkh9 commented on Londres70's status
Apr 12
flipper336 "Life is tough, but it's to... Comment
Mar 29
mkh9 uploaded new photos
Feb 14