Children's development
my daughter is 3 year old, she seizure if fever but doctor pescribed valporin syrup, on the another eeg report , their is no epliptic form says, but doctor says valporin syrups to be continuie till the age of 6 years. my question is she is epilipcy or not.
Hi there!
Typical febrile convulsions occur between the ages of 6 months to 5 years. Late onset febrile seizures, persistent febrile seizures, generalized epilepsy and febrile status epilepticus (FSE) are part of the spectrum of febrile seizures.EEG is done to document any changes in the brain. Continuous antiepileptic drug prophylaxis may be needed in some children to prevent seizures. Phenobarbitone and valproate are generally used in infants and older children respectively, for 1-2 years. Since she is on valparin watch for symptoms like vomiting, loss of appetite, dark urine or jaundice. In that case seek emergency medical attention. Children who have febrile seizures during childhood do well until adolescents and only a very less percentage of children with febrile seizures progress to epilepsy. Hope it helps.
Good luck!