Epilepsy Community
Confused!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Confused!

Our Neuro said the our son has tonicclonic seizures(TC) and complex partial (CP) seizures but according to the EEG he does not have absence(A) seizures.  I have personally witnessed both the (TC) and the (CP) seizures, and I know what they look like.  Lately he has been having staring spells that last only a few seconds, and he does not respond to me.  I have read about the difference between them and it seems obvious that he is having (A) seizures, am I correct and the dr wrong, or has something changed in my son since the last EEG?? I am so confused, but don't want to argue with the dr.!?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1557016_tn?1294555733
hey there,

im 30 now, but when i was 12 i got diagnosed with epilepsy, it started as absences, but between year 7, up until yr 12, i got 4 types, plus a scar  on my hipposcampus, i will be drug dependant for the rest of my life, took a while at 22 to accept it, but hey im just like everyone else now, uni, job, car, moved interstate and lived by myself.

even while i have control occassionally i will have activity on my eeg, but most of the time i dont. if your need to get a second opinion, find a good neurologist, you see him everyday so you see what goes on, the eeg is only a tool, even keep a diary, but the main focus is to get him seziure free, to he can have good quality of life, at high school i found flashing lights were worse, and also my emotions, so i had to learn not to get to upset or to tired.

my mum wrapped me in cotton wool!  but aim for control, and be strong have that diary saying on this day he did that, and say you know that this seziure on him looks like....  then they will have to take you seriously!

best of luck

susan
Blank
Hello. Well either possibility could be true. Something could have changed since your son's last EEG or the doctor could be wrong as well. First, I would tell the doctor you've witnessed the staring spells. You could do another EEG if you want or consider searching for another doctor's opinion. I went through 3 neurologists until I found one that wasn't a complete joke. All of their opinions were different too the last one I saw that I was finally satisfied with was the only one who could really help me and showed some real concern. Just do what you think is right for you and your son and look at all the possibilities.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Recent Activity
Blank
mkh9 Is making slow but steady p... Comment
4 hrs ago
7486852_tn?1396965573
Blank
JessieJ21 commented on FU$* this Disease
Jul 26