Epilepsy Community
Could I start boxing?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Could I start boxing?

I am 17 years old, when I was 6 years old I suffered an epileptic fit that lasted 2 hours; I awoke just before I was intubated. I had to undergo a number of different tests in order to see whether or not I had epilepsy, it turned out I did not have it and that this seemed to be a one off. However, nobody was ever able to uncover what caused this fit. I am now constantly debating with my parents as to whether not I am allowed to box as it is something I have wanted to do for a very long time, their argument of course is that if was to be struck with certain force in a specific place, it could trigger another fit, etc. I am wondering what you guys think of this, and would love a professional opinion on the subject.

Thanks,  
Tags: epilepsy
Nick as long as you can pass a normal sports physical there should be no reason why you should not be able to. Just because you had a seizure as a child does not mean you will ever have one again. Anyone can have a seizure at any time. A seizure is just sudden surge of "electrical" activity in the brain and sometime's nobody knows why it happens.

If you do start boxing you will need to wear the normal head gear that everyone else that spars wears. Also with every other sport if you start getting concusions you will have to stop before any permenant damage can occur.
thanks very much mate i will take it on board