Epilepsy Community
Could i have Epilepsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Could i have Epilepsy

Hi This is my first time on this site so bear with me, I first passed out/fainted when i was 8 over the next 30 years have done it app 10 times, most recently this morning, each time i feel dizzy have a sickly feeling then i faint, I start to shake my eyes roll back and i wet myself, as im coming round i firstly hear then see then am fully aware, altogether lasts between 2 and 10 mins, have only ever had blood tests for usual things, ie anemia, thyroid, kidneys, diabeties, never had a brain scan, any help or advice would be very greatly appreciated, i know this dosent sound like i do it a lot but im getting scared to go anywhere in fear i might faint, Thanks, Jo
its has all the signs of seizures.shaking-eyes rolled back-and seizures will make you lose your bladder.do you bite your tounge or jaw to? the good thing is you have a warning before you seize.the dizzy-sick feeling is your warning.so when you get your warning try to get to a safe (soft) place.are you taking meds?have you had a eeg test?that would dx you.find a good neuo and tell him your symtoms (symptoms) and ask for a eeg.meds can get seixures in control. ive been seizure free for years & i have grandmal seizures.not scared anymore and live a normal life.do you drive,if so heed your warning signs . hope this helps ease your mind.     brainpain
i think you may have epilepsy, but there are several tests you should do, like brain MRI, and EEG. if you go to see a doctor you'd better accompied by your family who have seen your seizures, because its very important to diagnosis.
Thankyou for replying brainpain, I dont actually bite my tongue or jaw but i do clench my teeth very tightly if that makes sense, I havent been diagnoised with anything yet, doctors have just been telling me i have had faints, to me they are a little more than just a faint, getting increasingly worried about driving as from onset of warning signs to actually passing out its about 30 seconds would i get to a safe enough place, ie if i was in the fast lane on the motorway, I have an appointment on fri with doc think i need to insist on a few more tests, i was also sort of screaming this time while i was out, very hard to live a normal life at the moment as you never know when or where your going to pass out, I am getting married in aug but really am not looking forward to it, this obviously has put a black cloud on what should be the happiest day of my life but cant help thinking what if i pass out before or during the ceromony, dont know what to do.
your welcome, i understand about your fear.you dont have much of a warning before you pass-out.i was thinking maybe you would have a little more time,i have 30min to an hour.but when i have mine its allways a bad one.i understand your fear of passing-out while driving.when i was about 17 i had a seizure while driving and crashed moms car. i would insist on the eeg  it will dx you if you have seizures and what type you have.take my advice if you have the eeg have someone drive you-if you have seizures it will make you have one,you will have recovery time but they wont let you drive.and if you get meds and get the right dose you can get this under control! i take dilantin and it keeps mine in control.you have time before your big day to get control.get the test take the meds and pay close attention to your signs if you still feel like passing out call doc and he will up yor meds till you feel normal-no signs.tell the doc what your signs are and what happens after.if anyone has seen this happen take them with you to explaine what happens .ease up on stress i know its hard worring about your big day but it can make you have seizures to.hope this helps.if you need me ill be here .good luck on your test and your big day.  brainpain
Hi Bp, Thanks again for listening and replying, what exactly is the proceedure with an eeg? How often were you having seizures, seems like im not having them often enough for them to take me seriously, I also thought as soon as you were diagnoised with epilepsy they immediatly took your licence off you? When I passed out on tues morning I was 10 mins away from driving my daughter to school so its a little scary to think what could of happened, You are right with stress a few times i have passed out in stressful situations but how can you organise a wedding without feeling stressed, Will let you know what the doc said when i see him tommorow, Again thank you for listening to me go on, nice to speak to someone who understands,
I read info that recommended anyone having fainting or "seizure" to have a full cardiac work up as well.  My son has been treated for Epilepsy for 2 years now without success, and we just had a cardiac workup and they discovered he has Neurocardiogenic syncope which causes "fainting", and seizures if severe (low oxygen to the brain).  It too can make you feel sick.  Look it up on the net.  There are alot of heart conditions that can cause this as well.  It could be epilepsy, but if you have a cardiac work up too, you have ruled out any other cause.  Seizure is a symptom!  Thanks
Thanks Lee will check that out, hope your son is ok. Keep us posted
well when i first had a seizure it was when i was in school.i am out cold and jerk and stiff up bite my tounge and jaw.i was taken to the er and given meds on spot.i had at least 1 a month,still have scares on inside of jaw.and i was a teen and drove moms mustang and had a seizure and totalled it.in one month i got my letter to turn in my liscense .it took me a year and alot of doctor visits and paper work and had to take the writen test over but got them back.i live in KY you have to be seizure free for a year before you get them back.thats why my warning is a blessing,if i ever feel it i stay home.ive had 2 different types of eegs .the one at the neou office you look into a a box and lights flash then strobe then weired collors then lights get realy brite and flash fast,thats all i could take i had a small seizure ive had them enough to know my limit.the other i went to a hospital and you are put in a dim room and stickers (probes) are put all over your head some one sits with you and watches your brain waves,i have grandmal seizures and it made me seize before i knew what was going on.went to recovery room to sleep it off.dont give to much info about your driving and getting sick or they will check into your liscinse .check you state law about if they take them for good.thats why i was asking if you had warning signs-never drive if you feel bad at all.if you get on meds you will get in control and after a while you will be  less worried.ive been on meds for a long time and havent had a seizure for years.no one knows i have epilepsy unless i tell them.make sure you take some one with you to the doctor to help explaine what you do  durning these spells-if you have test dont go alone they wont let you drive if you do have a seizure. good luck and hope you get to the bottom of this before your big day, brainpain
Thanks for that information very helpful, I had my docs appointment yesterday and he is refering me to cardiology first then if that shows up nothing then will go on to neurology, so at least i am being took seriously now, step in the right direction, just feel a bit housebound at the moment, can i ask how you felt after a seizure, and how long it took to get back to feeling yourself again, I feel very weak and tied after 4 days, is this normal? Thanks again for info. jo
Hi Jo,
I was diagnosed w/ epilepsy in Aug 07, age 31.  I have partial & complex partial seizures.  I didn't realize it but I had my first seizure when I was 18, I experienced an odd scent & then felt like I was in a dream or dejavu.  I never lost consciousness, just a little out of it.  I only had 1 at that time & didn't have another one until about 2 years ago.  They all were the same.  I think the weird thing is that my dream like state / dejavu is always the same dream.  Anyway, in August, I had another seizure that was more advanced (complex seizure).  I was driving, I had the usual smell & dejavu, then I was in & out of consciousness but still driving.  My husband called me about the time I was coming out of it but I wasn't making sense at all.  The words I thought I was saying, came out completely different.  It was really scary!  I did end up bumping into a guy twice!  The paramedics & the police came but no one mentioned seizures until I got to the ER.  The next day, I saw a neuro.  I had a MRI & EEG.  Both came back clear.  If you have seizures, you may or may not have a seizure during the EEG.  I didn't loose my drivers license because I didn't report it.  My drivers license expired in January so I waited until I was seizure free for 6 months to go get it renewed (Texas law is 6 months seizure free).  I had no problem getting my DL renewed, just had to fill out another form w/ more questions.  I rec'd my DL in the mail about 2 weeks later.  I do have warning signs & I have about 30-45 seconds to pull over.  I have been taking Lamictal for 6 months & have been seizure free. I am still scared that I will have another seizure & have had panic attacks since being diagnosed.  I am getting better with that though.  If you have any questions let me know.
Erin
im glad to see the doctor is checking you for both.that has to ease your mind.well when i have seizures i lose consciouness and jerk,bite my tounge-jaw--have scars-hurt myself some times.mine would last about 2-5 min (husband times them) i never wake up till about 8 hrs.i would be so sore for about 2days.it would take at least 5 days to get over them.thats why i never miss a pill.havent had a seizure for years-just one after my crainotomy for tumor  it was the worst one ive ever had.had a headache so bad and threw up all day that was in 06.been seizure free .tumor wasent causing them,so dont worry about that for you.ive been on dilantin for ever,it controls mine.as long as i havent forgot to take my meds im not afraid of having one.if you get diagnosed and get your meds at the right level you will live a normal life.getting there will take some time and blood work to check your levels.if you have a seizure the doc will up your dosage .just stay in there and you can get it in control.hope you get it worked out before your big day.stressing out over  being diagnosed just makes it worse.being stressed and scared because of eplisey dont help anything.i am living proff with the proper meds you can live a normal life.i have 3 kids and there all happy and healthy.good luck ,brainpain
You are both so kind sharing this with me, I think your so right bp in the fact that stressing about it makes it worse, Was really feeling down last week but talking to you guys has really made a differance so i thank you for that, I am so lucky in that my children are old enough to understand what is going on and they help me so much in the house, Kind of looking forward to the tests so i can at least get some meds, Feel for my fiance though who never complains and helps me so much but im sure would like me to be able to go out more, Im sure i will get there, will keep you updated.
it helps to know your not the only one going threw this,and hearing and sharing your stories helps to understand whats going on.my kids are still young and have never seen me sieze,thank god.they would be scared to death.your fiance under stands its not that you dont want to go out, but show her you are lucky to have her.it will come a time when you wont live in fear and you can go out and do whatever you want.i hope you get diagnosed whether or not its epilepsy and get to the root of the problem before your big day. brainpain
Hi brainpan, just to let you know i am female, my fault should of said, my son is 18 and daughter is 16 next week, it was my daughter who found me in the middle of a siezure last week and yes it really did scare her to death, she screamed and my son came running and saw me coming out of it so they both are concerned, not wanting to leave me at the moment, must be harder for you having young ones, thanks for the encouraging words really appreciate it, jo
im sorry,for some reason i just thought you were a guy.just if you dont know im a female to.some get confused because of the mustang photo-i just love tangs! yes it is hard ,but i seize in my sleep. neou said it was beeing stressed then relaxing would make you seize during sleep. i rember when i first went to my neou she had me keep a seizure diary. just thought you might do that to.you write when,how long,and what happend-of course someone will have to tell you what it looked like,and if any warning signs you had.my son is 12 and oldest daughter is 8 and youngest daughter is 5.good luck on your test .keep us updated and have a good day. brainpain
You have your hands full with 3 young ones, really good idea to keep a diary will do that, went out yesterday for the first time in a week was nervous but did it, its just so unpredictable thats what is scary not knowing when or where it will happen, but suppose if you dwell on it too much it can send you mad, your words are helping me so much, its my daughters 16th birthday next week so i have to go out and get her presents will be tough but will do it for her, will keep you posted, jo
yes i do have my hands full.the diary is a go way to rember when and to show your doctor somethong is going on. i do rember when i first started having seizures and how scarry it was to go places . but after i took my meds regulary the goy under control. pay attention to your body and you will learn to trust you know when it dont feel right,and need to slow down and when you really know your warning signs-teach your kids and fiance. once my husband learned mine he was more secure he could help. my husband says some times i would look like i was out of it. happy birthday to your daughter.i got my neurology magizne its got a site about epilepsy  havent been to the site yet but here it is if you want yo check it out .  epilepsyfoundation.org    have a good one,brainpain
what i dont understand is how i started out with what i believe to be fainting and they have gradually got worse, any ideas why that would be or have you ever heard that this has happened to anyone else,
well mine started weired to. my first one i was on the school bus,i rember getting hot and nose started bleeding -wouldent stop then passed out .woke up in hospital doctors around told me i had a seizure.each one got worse and longer.my neou said some people just start having them-from a hard bump on the head-stress during birth-dont know .i never bumped my head or wasent stressed at birth-(mom said ) and im the only one in my whole family -both sides  that has seizures.
Hi Bp, thanks for replying probably sick of me by now, when i think back i did have quite a hard bang to my head when i was 26 my faints/siezures began to get worse from then on, was just fainting before the bang then started fitting and losing my bladder after, makes sense now thanks, jo
no im not getting sick of you ! thats why i joined this form,to talk and share stories. tell your doctor about bumping your head. i was questioned to death till my neou gave in that i dident bump my head.how are you doing now? hope you are feeling and doing better.  brainpain
Thanks for that, not doing too bad still a bit wary about going out to crowded places, getting back into things at home now, looking forward to having the tests done, think it will give me a bit of hope in the fact that i will eventually be put on meds, dont know why they are sending me to cardiology first would of thought it sounds more like neuro but suppose they have to rule out other things, how are you and your family doing? jo
your welcome,i was to i was afraid of seizeing in front of strangers.its good you are getting back into homelife!  getting on meds will ease your fears,when you feel confident there in control. getting sick and passing out heart is first thing allways looked at first.but you have signs of epilepsy to me.but test will confrim one or the other,meds avalible for both.my dad has  a heart condition and he get sick and swetty-dont pass out.we are doing good .how is you wedding plans going? dont stress to much over them,hope you test goes well. keep me up dated,brainpain
Hi Bp, Wedding plans are a bit slow right now, although picked up the rings on saturday, just dont want to get too stressed and pass out on the day i cant help thinking that will happen, how long does it take to get meds after being diagnosed? then they might not be the ones to suit me, it dosent help that im a born worrier anyway, but then i think im so much better of than other people, my daughter is at the hospital for tests 3 days before me, she,s been having palpatations with a heartbeat of around 150 a min, so dosent help to be worrying about her, these things are sent to try us eh, jo
hi jo, congrats on getting your rings. i understand about worring your going to pass out .its the fear of losing it.maybe have a chair close by? if it happens jusy try to laugh it off and say your going to send it to americas funniest video! when i was dx i got meds that day. have you ever tryed clonazepan? i take it and it helps my nerves-helps to calm you and i take it with 400mg dilantin a day. hows your daughter? hope she is fine.sounds like shes getting the help she needs,hope her test are fine. i know what you mean about things to try us ,my son broke his foot today. hes fine now, bp
Hi Bp, Think your right about taking something for my nerves, i need to chill out more, alex got her blood tests back yesterday and everything is ok with them, so good news there, she is sweet 16 tomorrow, ouch about your sons foot how did he do that? sounds painful, boys eh, i live in england so can send the video to you,ve been framed, thats our version of americas funniest video, counting down the days now till my appointment sooner the better, take care, jo
hi jo, i know how the clonazepam chills me out. and my son does to . if im having a bad day he ask me if i took my happy pill! i have headaches daily and it drives me crazy .so everything stresses me out,ALOT BETTER AFTER CLONAZEPAM.  my son broke his foot climming a tree ,jumped about 3ft down and landed on the side of his foot.hes so excited he got a cast-half the kids in his class has one. GREAT NEWS ABOUT ALEX. happy sweet 16 to her.driving you crazy to get her license? good luck on your appts.ask if they will give you something for your nerves,that will help alot . good luck on your party,brainpain
Hi Bp, Thanks for that info will definatley ask about it, can i just ask, have you ever been on your own and had a seizure and if so what happened, you have to be 17 in the uk to get a licence so no going crazy just yet although she can have a moped but she got no chance she cant ride a bike in a straight line so no chance i would let her loose on the roads, thinking of posponing the wedding till next year, want to look forward to it rather than be in fear, will keep you updated, jo
hi jo, well when i went to my doctor i told her that i was so stressed out. told her every thing gets on my nerves -loud noises-every thing stresses me out. i just asked her if there was something she could give me to help me. tell the doc about your wedding & about your daughter (even thow shes tested fine) and doc might give you something. yes i had a seizure alone-i was still asleep when my husband got home from work, dryed blood on face and pillow, from biting jaw & tounge .couldent rember what happend & was so sore hard to move. thank god that was before my kids. i wish they would up the age to drive here,at least 18. kids here drive so crazy! sorry about posponing wedding,why not have a small wedding just you and kids then when you get better have a big one to cellibrate! son is driving me crazy,he got in fight at school,a boy kicked his cast now hes suspended till tuesday.at least no one got hurt.take care of yourself, bp
Hi Bp, Felt very anxious yesterday but was on my own in the house all day and was thinking about what may happen, Very hard to not think about the what ifs, I can honestly say i never had as many problems with my son as i have with my daughter, think girls can be so bitchy, where as with boys they seem to sort things out then get on with it, at least your son is sticking up for himself which is always a good thing, thinking about the wedding with just the kids a very good idea not as much pressure, great to talk to someone who has been through this, hope everything works out with your son which im sure it will, jo
hi jo, i have allways told my son to take up for his self.  i know what you mean on the girl thing ! my oldest girl is giving me more trouble than my son. your day alone go ok ? i enjoy my time alone now. the wedding with just the kids might help it go smooth and cheaper to! and make fieance happy to! i had a small wedding and the money we saved insted of having a big one we spent on our honeymoon.just had both sets parents ,brothers & sisters only.had pitures to show everyone else.it was great no stress and been married 15yrs.have a good one,bp
Hi Bp, Kids do get better as they get older my son is now 18 and a joy to be around, he has a good job and always comes home in a good mood, he is a very happy loving young man, I think boys are more loving towards their mums anyway, this will be my second wedding so we didnt have a big celerbration planned just close friends and family, my day alone was ok got through it, starting to feel quite anxious now getting headaches and a not very well feeling is this normal? also not sleeping too good, would you say im experiencing panic attacks, can feel really bad for about 4 hours then suddenly feel ok, thought i was coming down with flu but then felt ok seems to happening quite often now, starting to get on my nerves just want to feel normal like i used to, hope your family are well, jo
hi jo, my son goes back to school tomorrow ! some peace and quiet hopefully. why so stressed out if its just close family,if they know whats going on with you they should be understanding if it dont go perfect. i understand you want it to be perfect but getting married would ease alot of stress on you.when i got married i couldent keep my knees from knocking! husband just held me close ,then it was over. glad to hear you got threw the day alone ok. getting stressed out and worring will give you tension headaches and anixety will make you sick till your nerves settle down.while waiting for my surgery i started getting anixety and panic attacks.i would get sick and shake and the heart palps was awful. you could be getting panic or anixety attacks worrying about what could happen.that could be why you cant sleep.have you ever had an mri? i would ask for one ,they can give info about where your seizures are comming from.its just very loud sounds . but it cost about 3,000 here. ive had around 13 in the past 3yrs. thank god for insurance.clonazepam is good for anixety to.just ask for something ,you wont believe how much better you will feel. stay safe and take it easy ,brainpain
Hi Bp, I really do believe i am making myself feel worse by worrying so much, my family are really understanding its just me not wanting to ruin everything, but the more i worry about it the worse i feel, so gonna try not to worry any more, i havent had any tests what so ever as yet, not long to go now though, hope you enjoy your peace, let me know what school said, bye for now, jo
hi jo,i understand wanting the perfect day. i know how hard it is trying to stay calm. waiting for test was allways hard for me. yes i enjoyed my peace!!! the school told us as long as shawn stays out of trouble ,it would be ok. he came home and said he had a good day. schools are crazy around here. hope your doing good,keep me updated,brainpain
hi frends......dis is sapna here. i had my 1st seizure 4yrs bck.....though m tking meditations n goin on wid d treatment....i still m nt so much familiar wid d symptoms n warnings v gt.
4yrs bck i had my seizure when i was preparing 4 my exams....i was taken 2 a doctor immediately n gt 2 knw dat i hv epilepsy after d eeg n ct scan test.....nt so serious bt dat which cud be controlled wid meditations.....bt i din't strt of wid my meditations soon after....it took me time n had another seizure in school...so 2 seizures.....
alrite..i started wid my meditation soon den n din't hv ny attack 3 yrs den....n den i suddenly reduced my meditations frm half d dosage without ny proper tests or meeting wid d doctor........n had another attack....i knw my mistake.so 3rd seizure......n den i had 2 mre seizure again becoz of my carelessness during exams.....no proper sleep....din't tk my tablet on time....
i knw i worsened my situation by myself......bt m really scared nw.....n my parents r very worried 4 me....dey r luking 4 d best doctors 4 me.....bt it's nt like d same nw....m nt aalwd 2 drive.....proper sleep...dad doesn't let me go nywhere untill i hv sum1else accompanied.dat's all fine.bt i wanna knw y dis happens n hw much time will it tk 2 cure...if i tk proper precautions? does it hv a chance 2 end sumday?
n i nvr hv ny warnings of my seizures.dnt remember nythng.....except where i was n was hving a slight headache.....bt headaches occur normally also n dat can't be taken as a warning alwaz....rite?
plz help me frendz......i wanna enjoy my life further n wanna acheive by dreams n ambitions independently...
hi,sapna,how are you doing? you started having seizures again because you reduced your meds.having epilepsy is a daily struggle.you have to take meds on time in order to keep the level in your blood to keep them in control.you need to get your level back up to stop seizures.seizures cant be cured only meds will keep them in control.taking pills every day will help control seizures and besides taking a pill every day you can lead a normal life and acheive your dreams.you need to get blood work done to make sure your level is correct.as far as warning signs not everyone has them.try to think back-did you feel weak-strange foggy feeling? hope this helps,brainpain
hello brainpain......thanx 4 ur response!
i m nw regular wid my medications...n hv proper sleep n rest.....
bt i hv also noticed a fall in my energy level since d 1st seizure n my memory power has also reduced........i m nt really sure abt dis.....bt sumwhere i can't help connecting dese things....n by making a blood test...do i knw whether m taking d right dosage 4 me?
n cud u also tell me sum other problems dat happen due 2 epilepsy or aftr starting d meditation.......except dizziness which i alwz feel aftr hving it!
n is dere a proper diet dat shud be followed.like i read abt a ketonic diet sumwhere dat is helpful......bt dnt knw much abt it!
n regarding warning signs i seriously dnt remember nythng....no weak or foggy feeling...
bt i'll be mre aware of my body signals frm nw on!
thanx a lot!
hi sapna,im glad to hear tour taking your meds regular now.as far as your memory power loss -neou told me each time you have a seizure it with holds blood from your brain.neou said it sometimes scars the brain.before you started missing dosages did you have seizures and bloodwork done? if you r seizures were in control then thats your right dose-it takes time to build the meds back in your system.if you still had seizures when taking regulary -you need to talk to your doc and up your dose-or change meds to get them in control.i take 400mg dilantin a day -havent had seizure in 2yrs.problems after starting meds depends what kind your on.dilantin you get swollen gums some weight gain faical hair.youll feel droggy because it works on the firing of the brain.that goes away after you get use to the meds.i havent done the diet thing so dont know about that.best wishes ,brainpain
hi......i dnt thnk i had ny seizure attack..b4 missing my meditations except when i reduced it 2 half.....i m on tegritol-200 mg nw......i take 3 dosage a day.....
as i said u i feel very sleepy aftr hving it!
bt still......i thnk dere r sum mre effects of dis!
i won't 2 be d same again...as much energetic as i was b4!
n can i ask u 1 mre thng...apart frm loosing energy....i feel my body shakes a lot in certain situations....
like......aftr driving a vehicle......playing badminton....doing smll tasks like putting up a thread in a needle....m nt sure whether dis is related...bt i hvnt still asked my doctr abt dis 2.....i also gt easily tired while doin sum vigorous wrk!
plz suggest..if u hv n idea!
thnx! i hv also started hving vitamin capsules named kivit-z.
Hi Bp, well i have been in bed for the last few days with flu, typical eh i just start getting some normality back and this happens, headache has been terrible making me feel sick too, not long to go now untill my tests thank goodness, how is your sons foot, when does he have his plaster off? take care jo
hi jo,sorry to hear your sick. hope you are feeling better .my son cast comes off monday!!the podiatrist said he broke his growth plate in his foot.he is doing good. good luck on your test, brainpain
Hi Bp, just an update for you, still struggling with a horrible headache not sure now if its the flu virus or anxiety, just feel like staying in bed, how is your sons leg now? take care jo
hi jo,took him to get cast took off,then his doc said not for 10 more days. i was angery,my son told him he said it would come off today.i was mad because i kept him home from school that day.oh well its for the best i guess.do you get migraines? when i have a migraine it last for days-have to stay in dark.rest and take care of yourself,brainpain
Hi Bp, Think they would of told you about the cast before you kept him off school, yes i have had a migrane (migraine) for nearly a week dragging me down a bit now, started off with flu like symptoms just cant seem to shake it off, my daughters appointment for cardiology is on mon and mine is on thurs, then we are treating ourselves to a break in france for a week something to look forward to, we have friends who own a house there so we get to go whenever we like free so just the fare to pay for, leaving the kids with my mum well my daughter my son is old enough to stay on his own, will let you know what the hospital said, bye for now, jo
hi jo,i was mad because he said that was the day it would come off !! I i think it was just to charge my ins for the visit,and xrays he lost my sons xrays-just within 2 weeks.do you take meds for your migraines? doc wont give me anything worth taking.i have to wait till my eye swells almost shut and head gets sore to touch.doctors here are so scared to give pain meds.it sucks to have to go to the er to get relief . a break in france wow !! sounds great,it will do you good to get away.good luck on your test and take care of yourself,bp
different medications have different side effects and difference in dosage can change these.  most epilepsy drugs cause tiredness nausea to name a few best way to know is look at your own pack to see what the information says as some side effects can be dangerous,  you need to know what is normal for that drug.   most people notice changes when on a new treatment especially when the dose is increased/decreased,  altering the dosage should only be under medical advice/supervision as stopping or reducing drugs for epilepsy can be very dangerous.
i was epileptic from the ages 4-14 when i suffered from grand mal seizures tried almost every drug i think until one suited,  drs thought i had grown out of it until i started having new episodes at the age of 21 for no apparent reason,  tests showed it was epilepsy again just a different type caused by hormone (cataphenial),  although i am no longer on any medication now and have been seizure free for almost 6 years.  i wouls advise anyone to keep a well being diary,  when seizures happen what you were doing who was there what happened diet etc how you felt afterwards and how long episodes last.  even where in your menstrual cycle you are as some types of epeilepsy are triggered by the change in hormones.  all this information can help Drs decide whats wrong and the best way to treat and also you may learn what might be a trigger for your own attacks.  i stay out of night clubs and dont watch programs with strobe lighting as i know this is a trigger for me,  i also eat smaller meals more often as hunger was a trigger,  i used to get an enormous headache/migraine before a seizure this was the only warning, although i dont always have a seizure with a headache,  it was like the worst headache imaginable to me and it sort of built up until i had a seizure then i was ok until the next one,  so i take headhache pills as soon as i feel a slight twinge so it dont get that bad.
i was a single parent with a 4 year old daughter when i was rediagnosed and the epilepsy nurses showed her how to place me in the recovery position,  which probably saved my life a few times as i always bit my tongue and had a mouthfull of blood when i came round and always bumped my head on the way down needing a few stitches and head x-rays on a few occasions too,so she was taught how to get help without being in a panic and everything was explained to her so she wouldn't be as scared.  so i also recommend educating everyone you live with on what to expect and what to do then they too can help you in the same way and with being in a panic.
i now lead a very normal seizure free life and drive and even as a child my parents tried to make everything as normal as possible.  society's attitude has changed so much over the years, and so has treatments so things can only get better.
wishing everyone the best of everything
Geebop
Hi Bp, hope you and your family are well, well i went to my hospital appointment on thursday, the doctor thinks i might have reflex anoxic seizures which is my blood pressure suddenly dropping causing me to pass out, i have to go for a few tests, a tilt table test, an mri scan an eeg and then an insertable loop recorder to monitor what my heart is doing while having a blackout, hopefully these tests will diagnose my problem,
hi jo,well ive been down with a sick migraine for almost a week. went to er and dident help much. my doctor pissed me off .i wore a heart monitor last month for heart palps and just got results friday. my heart palps up to 180 beats min but she said shes not worried about it !! blood pressure is 120/80 is very good and she gives me blood pressure pills to help my herat rate and headaches ? i was in so much pain she dident help me at all!!! im going to find a new doctor . reading your post what would happen if my blood pressure dropped? im sorry im venting on you but i think my docs crazy. sounds like your doctors checking everything and hopefully you will find what is going on .how was your trip? again im sorry for venting on you!! keep me updated,brainpain
Hi Bp, sorry to hear your not too well right now, and dont think for a minute that your venting on me your not, are your headaches conneted to your heart palps? sounds to me like your doc has no time for you which is horrible so i would definatly see a new doc, my doc said that on a day to day basis although my blood pressure is on the low side its not low enough to worry about but on a day when the stress has built up then it suddenly drops and so do i, what is your pulse rate on resting? mine goes to between 55 and 60 should be around 70 for my age, if blood pressure becomes low for whatever reason, ie stress illness etc it can present a lot of differant symptoms, tiredness, fatigue, headaches, aches and pains, and the obvious passing out,  have the pills helped at all? seems like you are going the other way as in heart racing, we havent been to france yet we are waiting till next month after my daughter has finished her exams, how is your son getting on? hope you are feeling better, jo
thanks jo,my headaches have been on an every day thing for 3yrs . but not as bad as this.had cat scan in er said everything normal. my doctor wants money before you even go back, shes just money hungery! my resting heart rate is 99  and in 24hrs went up to 180 2times. im thinking i have low pituitary hormones all are low normal. she just rolls her eyes at me. i havent took any pills yet-im scared to. my dad has a pacemaker because his blood pressure drops, mom told me they would make me very sick .with my palps i get dizzy and sweaty and chest burns.  son got his cast off thursday and is in a hard bottom shoe. how are you and your daughter doing?  maybe we can both get a dx soon ,im going to try a DO. keep me up dated on you both amd take care of yourself,bp
I only had one Full blown Sezure I was getting ready to get my skis off my moms car when on the way to the care My left leg Would not move it felt like it was stuck in place. I stumbled Smelled some thing like Rotten dead cat mixed with Burning rubber. I got up said mom she turned around. she asked me if i was ok after the trip i had. i said yah, with a slur and then mindlessly followed her to her side of the car and when she asked me what i was doing i said Ohh turned around went back be hind the car to get to the other side and, Apparently Went as stiff as a BOaRD  and fell over my hands stayed in their positions NO jerking just stiff then she said my eyes were rolled up and i was drooling then. I have only had that one BUT the EEG i had 1 month after then the other one 3 months after and the one 9 months after still show irregular Brain waves. in my left frontal lobe. I was 19 when i had my first seizure. Leeding up to that I  was having REALLY bad facial, and body tics along with some vocal ones too.. my neurologist had put me on an anti tic medication but i was wanting to join the airforce at the time so she was weening me off the anti tic meds, they were a muscle relaxant of some kind i have the name saved if any one wants to know it. In order to join the air force i had to med free for a year. Bahh I am very glad now that i am not in the airforce. I am very happy with my Current major, I am on 3,000 mg of Keppra now 1500 2 times daily.

I dont know some times the meds make me Anoyed with every thing Its just not like me. thats bothersome when it is happening but i ussually if i have the opertunity to, is go some where by my self and studdy. If i am with others when i am IN THE MOOD pit They anoy me soo much and end up not being so pleasent. If i am at work and it happens I bite my toung... litteraly LOL. My nerologist thinks that my Tics were a seizure. THEY are not nearly even 1% as bad as they were even on the other anti tic medication. What i have learned though is That i get mildly ticky is i am really streased out or am feeling a Aura. I feel like i will be zipping forward then hault in my place and fly back in to my body... thats what i mean by aura, the other type i have had recently is when walking and stressed Like durring finals week and i have not gotten enough sleep. it feels like my right leg slips through the ground like in a invisable hole. and then pops back out when i take my next step. it does not physically Change the way i am walking when it happens it just is the weirdest sensation ever........

AS for tests If u could get a EKG AND EEG combo. it sorts out cardio and the brain stuff all at once.
Hi Bp, My daughters bloodtests came back today she is low in iron so needs to take tablets for 6 months, I am awaiting test dates, I did go back to my docs to see if he could give me anything for anxiety but could only offer me anti depressants really dont want to go on these as im not depressed just anxious but all anti anxious tabs cause your blood pressure to drop so for obvious reasons i cant have them, Glad your son has his cast off now must be a relief, keep him out of trees now eh, doctors can be so unsympathectic some times, they need to go through a little of what we do then maybe they would understand how anxious and stressed we get, have you changed docs yet? hang in there im sure you will get better with time, thats what i keep thinking, can i ask you why your dad has a pacemaker and how long he has had it? keep smiling jo
hi jo, i know what you mean ,i hate my doctor !! doctors allways have an excuse why they cant help you. ive got 2 doctors im checking into -dont want another doc that dont listen and rolls there eyes at me. taking iron killed my stomach ,hows your daughter doing on them? my son said he wont try to climb trees again. my dad had a pacemaker because his bloodpressure would drop to nothing he would get so sick and sweaty turn white and his heart would almost stop. hes had 2 so far one lead broke and battery was almost dead.had that one for about 18yrs. the new one is so much better he can be around alot of things he couldent before.the only bad thing with the new one they put it under his coller bone and he can feel it kick in.but he leads a normal life. good luck at app and take care of yourself , brainpain      
Hi Bp, Glad your checking out other doctors, its so important to find one who will listen, for 20 years no one listened to me kept sayin your ok its just a faint, finally i think i have one that is actually saying yes there is something wrong, FINALLY Alex my daughter hasent started the tablets yet we pick them up on tuesday, will let you know how she gets on with them, How is your pulse rate doing now, has it calmed down now, i was told to take my pulse 4 times in a row add them all up then divide by 4 this gives you a more acurate reading, but try not to be so anxious while you are as this will increase it, we are going ahead with the wedding i thought what the hell if i faint then so be it ill get up and deal with it, so keeping busy with the organising, hope your family are well, how are your headaches? take care, jo
hi jo, so glad to hear your going threw with your wedding!!!! glad to hear your not going to let it slow you down . it will be fine,and you have a good attiuted just dust off and say i do!!  my pulse is about the same. i will do the adding and see what i come up with. headaches a little better ,maybe ill get a break ! today was last day of school so i get some sleep .anything else you want to know about pacemaker -ill ask my mom.my family is doing good,take care of yours, bp
Hi Bp, Hope your doing a little better now, and you have had a few late mornings with the kids being off school, how are your headaches? I have my appointment through for an eeg on the 26th of june, thanks for the info on your dad very helpfull, I made my first shopping trip yesterday to a very crowded centre to buy some bits for the wedding so really proud of myself for that, although i was thinking about fainting i didnt so good result, take care speak to you soon, jo
heya my names jo im new to this, but have been reading your coments to each other and thought you would be able to help.
im 24 just turned and had my first seizure on the 9th of may this year it was a big "grandmal" quite embarrasing in front of my work colleges (they are trained nurses so knew what to do though thankfully) but was sent to A&E ( im from uk) and they said straight away its epilepsy we are going to refare you. so anyway a few days later while waiting for my refaral i have another big one followed by several little ones. so my doc put me on the emergancy list and bless her heart got me an appointment with a neuro the next day. had all kinds of tests done eeg ct and bloods and put of meds since then i have had another two not sure what to do? should i go back to my gp or should i wait for neuro follow up? jo xx
hi jo, i know how embarrasing grandmal can be.i have grandmal seizures to.call your gp and ask her to see you. in order to get control of seizures you need to get the right dosage of meds.it will take time to build meds up in your system.it will take some time to get the right level for you.i take 400mg dilantin a day-been seizure free for almost 2 years.maybe you will need to change your meds. i cant take anything but dilantin.do you have any warning signs? stay away from strobe lights,some games(flashing-fast) could make you seize.see your gp and have your level done to make sure your level is where it needs to be .  hope this helps,brainpain
heya i have decided im going to see my gp this morning they have open surgery every morning. because with the eds i had two in less than a week and this headache isnt shifting either i feel like my brain is trying to climb out of my head.
thanx hun xx
your welcome, hope you get your seizures in control. having seizures can give you really bad headaches to . the last seizure gave me such a bad headache -i never want to go threw that again !! take care of yourself, bp
Hi Bp, just wondering how your getting on? not spoke for a while, jo
Hi, BP. This is my first day on forum, so I'm not sure how it is done. Anyway...went to your page and left you a message. Then I found this at the end of the page.   :)
Soooooooooooo I just suggested have your Thyroid tested, cause hyper-thyroid can make your blood pressure fluxuate wildly. My daughter had Graves disease, and this happened to her.
Good luck with that migraine.  I have them too    :(
You really should be seen by a Neurologist....to rule epilepsy out completey.

Do you possilby have blod sugar issues....(doggone laptap...sory bout lousy typing)

If you had a head injury, it could explain a lot.  I never had seizues until a car accident....and it was not a bad one.....just enough to set off the seizures.

Try the neurologist for an MRI and EEG. Keep up to date on bloodwork. Visit an acupuncturist, too.  I was once on a big dose of anti-convulsant meds & became pregnant. The acupuncturist helped me get off all meds and have a wonderfully healthy pregnancy and perfect baby......after only 6 visits.  He was wonderful, but now lives in Hawaii.  Ugh!  I loved that man....he was awesome.

Best wishes to you in discovering what's going on.