Epilepsy Community
Could it be a sudden seizure?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Could it be a sudden seizure?

Yesterday my 4 yr old had an episode that led us to the ER. It started with her throwing up and not realizing it. Her brother said " She threw up," ( we were in the car at the time) so I asked her. After a momentary pause she said No. When I turned around and saw the mess I said "Yes you did honey.. Look at your shirt." She looks down dazed like and then laid her head to the side and went to sleep. That was odd b/c she would normally be grossed out or say something. When getting her out of the car she was in what seemed like a daze (very glassy eyed) and didn't respond to us talking. She wouldn't look at us, just stare. This went on for 2 mins or so (seemed like forever). Finally, we put her back in the eat to head to the hospital. She sat limplike with her eyes still open and glassy and then threw up. There as no gag reflex, just opened her mouth and it started to spill out. And she later wet herself at some point during th ride to the ER. This has never happened. She doesn't remember anything that happened in the car (throwing up or wetting herself). Needless to say, we were freaked out. Oh and her eye was a little pink yesterday (thought it was pink eye) but not really today.

Don't know if this matters but, during pregnancy she had a 2 vessel cord and was induced 2 weeks early due to Oligohydramnios. She weighed 6lbs 2oz. Other than this episode, she has been a healthy kid.

They did a CAT scan and thankfully it came back normal. The Dr. thinks it may have been a seizure and we have to go to a neurologist and get an EEG.

What I'd like to know is if this sounds like a seizure (maybe absence or complex partial) and what could have triggered it? What will the EEG tell us and can it be wrong (producing a false negative) if she isn't having the episode while doing the EEG? Is there anything I can do to help avoid the seizure (if that's what it is). Is it likely to happen again?
Oh...your story is all too familiar.  My daughter is 4 and we are just in the beginning stages of epilepsy that began with a seizure in March very similar to what you wrote about.  Her first seizure started with vomiting, dazed/disoriented state, urination/bowel movements, unconsciousness, and then convulsions.  Our ER visit also resulted in an normal CT, which we were thankful for too!  We then went for an EEG about 2 weeks later which came back abnormal, with many episodes of misfirings  We waited for the 2nd seizure, which seemed like an eternity before they would prescribe anti-seizure medicine.  Her 2nd seizure episode, which in her case is 2 types back-to-back (complex partial and then generalized convulsive) came in April.  She was then prescribed Tegretol and diagnosed with epilepsy.  We then went for an MRI, which came back normal.  The Tegretol is helping, as we have only had a 3rd seizure in May that was not as severe as the first 2 episodes.  She currently sleeps in our room on a matress on the floor because I have trouble putting her in her own room due the vomiting that seems to be the onset of every one of her seizures.

I will say that the doctors said that there was still a 50% chance of never having a 2nd seizure after she had her first, so don't worry so much yet.  The EEG results should help too.  Just try to prepare yourself for a possible 2nd episode and watch for the vomiting.  Our neurologist did prescribe a rectal Diastat (valium) after her abnormal EEG to help during the 2nd episode.  It did and I carry it with me 24/7.  Obviously, all types and episodes for each child are different, so trust the advice of your Dr.'s.  Did your child have a fever with the episode??

Believe me, I know how scary this is as I was in your shoes 3 months ago!  Keep me posted if you want, as I have found it a great help to have this forum!!

~Oakley711