Epilepsy Community
Could these be seizures?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Could these be seizures?

So /adv/, I'm curious if any of you have epilepsy or have experienced a seizures in your lifetimes. I had a seizure when I was 12 years old. In fact, I had two in the same day back then. They consisted of me tensing up, being unable to move, and eventually fainting. I've never had one since...

However, 13 years later, I've had some strange things happen to me, though significantly different enough for me to wonder whether these are seizures or not. I have them happen around 3-4 times a month, and there seems to be no trigger for them.

They usually consist of:

-a feeling of dread and helplessness
-wanting to run out of a room; claustrophobia
-inability to think or talk without effort. Though when I do talk, its usually fine and coherent... though I'd prefer just not to talk
-mind racing but not thinking about anything in particular
-usually the need to go to the bathroom or a stomach ache
-a slight headache though not terrible. More like pressure behind eyes and in forehead.
-legs, arms, and body feel very sensitive, clammy, and stiff (but my muscles are not tensed or anything -- its more of a nerve-feeling).
-inability to remain lying down or sitting. I have to stand or walk -- preferably walk
-no appetite. the thought of eating is terrible
-increase in my normal visual snow
-general panic

These episodes usually take place when I'm sleep deprived or stressed. They also usually last between 30-40 minutes max. They get better after I use the restroom, interestingly. I also feel the need to call someone on the phone and have them calm me down.

Could these be seizures? I don't lose any consciousness during them.
It sounds like panic attacks. I've never had a seizure but I have an anxiety disorder and have panic attacks regularly. I have the same symptoms when I have a panic attack.
i have these symptons of panic attacks ( Thanks for your post ..It kind of helped me understand )
  did you try medication or breathing exercises to help with the panic or anxiety ?
  ( having regular walks helps in long run too), but i have to motivate myself too ,
Hey
I'm not sure, its hard through writing to guage how you are feeling or whats happening but it sounds similar to what Im going through .

The best thing would be to pressure the Dr as much as you can x
When you are sleep deprived, or stressed, Magnesium is getting used up by your body and you get magnesium deficient. Panic attacks, anxiety, seizures, or seizure like symptoms are some of the hundreds of symptoms of Magnesium deficiency.Here is an Ebook that would explain why you feel how you feel and direct you to further sources to understand your health
situation.
http://www.nutritionalmagnesium.org/listmessenger/public/Magnesium_ebook.pdf
hope it helps.
I have struggled with epilepsy since I was a small child. The symptoms you are describing sound more, which has been stated, like Anxiety(commonly known as panic attacks). Anxiety is something you should talk about your doctor about, describe how it feels and he/she may be able to help more than you could imagine.
On the plus side, its not seizures! :)