Dilantin overdose?
I'm 31 years old and have recently gone on dilantin to combat fainting spells that I have had all my life, but seem to be increasing in frequency. (I am hesitant to called them seizures. Their cause has yet to be determined) I recently had a blood count done and my levels were at 6.4 and my doctor suggested I increase my double my dosage to 600 mg per day. Soon after, I began to notice I had trouble sleeping and some serious short term memory loss. I would forget my user name to log into my computer, I would leave my car lights on, I would even forget to shut doors and flush the toilet. I went for a follow up exam and somehow, my levels still were lower than 10.0. The doctor wanted to up the dosage to 800mg, but I said I wouldn't because of the apparent side effects. I decreased my dosage to 400 mg per day and the insomnia and memory loss has all but disappeared, but now I have noticed I have an an acute sensitivity to odors and rapid mood swings. Could this be the result of the increase in dilantin?
hi,ive been on dilantin for years. i take 400mg a day. i only took 600mg if i had a seizure to get levels back up. dilantin causes my gums to swell and now that i think about it i am very senitive to smells to.it made me gain weight when i first started on them. but i never had the other symptoms you have. i dont know why your having sleep-memory problems.do take other meds ? would call doctor and report your problems.if it is the dilantin there are different meds.sounds like you really feel bad. sorry i cant help more,brainpain