Epilepsy Community
Does anyone have any idea why my Dad is having seizures?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Hi! My name is Ashlee and I live in Kentucky.  My father is 50. For almost a year my father has been having seizures.  He has two types but I'm not exactly sure how they are classified.  

One type that he has is usually set on when he gets upset about something.  The only thing he does is get a very sad look on his face.  Then he clenches his teeth and breathes very hard.  He doesn't move and doesn't respond to anyone.  Usually lasts less than one minute and is confused afterwards.  He says that he can hear people talking but he can not respond.

The other type I think is a grand mal seizure.  It only happens when he is laying down.  If he has one he usually has more in the same day, or has the other type in the same day.  The first thing he does is turn his head completly to one side.  Not one particular side.  While he is doing that, his eyes roll up, you can still see his eyes, but they just are at the very top.  About this time he may make some noise.  He usually makes noises like he is very scared.  Sometimes they sound as if he is trying to catch his breath.  The noises are usually very scary.  Then he clenches his teeth, and drools. He raises one or both arms and systematically moves them back and forth.  I wouldn't say that they are vibrating, just moving back and forth.  Sometimes he moves his bottom half of his body and sometimes not.  These usually last a minute or less.  Then he is very confused and scared.  Sometimes he doesn't come back around for 30 minutes.  

Since Feb of 08 his hands have been numb.  It started out as just his fingers, then it moved to his whole hand.  We have not found one doctor that can explain why his hands are numb.

Since about the same time in Feb, he started having memory problems.  After having seizures the memory problems usually get even worse.

He has a two day in house EEG and that showed nothing.  He didn't have any seizures while there and the flashing lights didn't start any.  He has also had several MRIs (of head, neck, and all of his spine).  All of these things come back normal.  They say that his brain is completly normal.  He also had some heart tests last year, but I'm not sure what they were.

The doctors are now just taking shots in the dark.   Has had a bunch of bloodwork done, nothing interesting.  His albumin(sp?) levels were somewhat low and so was protein.  He has been tested for Lyme disease but that's not it.  Like I said, just taking shots in the dark.

Also in Feb. he was diagnosed with gallbladder disease and also as having abdominal aortic aneurysm (sp?) which is 2.3 cm.  The doctors say that is too small to worry about surgery.  

I think the most interesting thing is is that we can stop his seizures sometimes.  In the beginning of the what I believe are grand mal seizures, he starts to turn his head to the side.  While he is doing that he can hear people and sometimes still talk.  If we catch these actions early enough, he can use his hand and push his head forward facing.  If he can push his head back, he stops the seizure.  He will then not be confused and completly aware of what just happened.   Sometimes his bounces back and forth.  Again he is aware that this is happening, this only happens when he is laying down.  He is aware of this and can also grab his head and try to stop the bouncing.  He has never had a seizure right after these bouncing episodes.

If anyone has any ideas of what is making him have these seizures, let me know.  He has been on Lyrica for this 4 weeks, and it seems like the actual seizures are worse now that he's been on medicine.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.