Epilepsy Community
Epilepsy or something else?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Epilepsy or something else?

This may be a little confusing to describe.

So, I was with a friend of mine the other night. He is a regular marijuana smoker and has poor health habits such as his diet. Sometimes when he smokes weed he gets warm and needs to lie down next to a fan and relax for a minute. This night was different; after a few seconds of half laying down half sitting up, he falls backwards and begins to go into what would be described as a grand mal seizure. I have to say that I was pretty terrified. He snapped out of it within about 30 seconds to a minute. My father is an emergency room doctor and a physician; I disregarded my friend and asked my father what he thought, to which he said that he needs to get it checked out. My friend has never had a seizure before this and he said he  felt absolutely fine afterwards and he felt as if I had woken him up from a dream. He doesn't believe that he  needs to be checked out. Is it possible that it is a one time thing? I need some advice on how to handle this.
You should probably get him checked out. I know it can be hard to have a stubborn person on your hands like that. If you really are a friend maybe you should have a sit down, and see if you can't convince your friend to see a doctor.
Yes, you were certainly right about him being stubborn. He refuses to see anyone about it. This is not going to be easy but I'm going to keep working on him. Hopefully he will change his mind.
The first time I had a gran Maul seizure I was at a friends place. when I came out of the seizure I had no idea what had happened. He was telling me that he was taking foam out of my mouth and had put a pillow under my head so i wouldn't hit my head on the ground. I had felt fine afterwords and had no recollection of the event.